RAF Valley HF

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
M1ZXZ
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M1ZXZ

RAF Valley HF

Post by M1ZXZ »

Wandering if RAF Valley has any HF search & rescue frequencies ?

Thanks.
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Re: RAF Valley HF

Post by ChrisCSL »

M1ZXZ wrote:Wandering if RAF Valley has any HF search & rescue frequencies ?

Thanks.
There is a co-ordinated national SAR network, Valley is a part of it.

Google says: http://www.luister-post-zutphen.nl/EMERGENCY.html
M1ZXZ
Regular
Regular

Post by M1ZXZ »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link. Good information.

I'me a bit of a novice monitoring SAR. Very recently, I was randomly tuning around 5 megs and heard a very strong and clear voice on 5680 kHz. The male voice was clearly stating Kinloss Rescue during each transmission, I could also hear another distant weaker transmission from a vessel at sea which was low on fuel.

I did a google search on Kinloss Rescue which mentioned that the station is based on the coast of Moray Firth Scotland.

That frequency was pretty busy at that time, another call came in, same frequency, this time I heard quite clearly, a voice identifying themselves as Rescue 122.

Looking at the information from that site you linked me to, RAF Valley is mentioned with a Helicopter rescue crew with a call sign Rescue 122.

So, not to sure about this, but was the main control station Kinloss up in Scotland working with the helicopter crew co-ordinating a rescue on Anglesea ??

From my location, RAF Knloss is quite a distance whereas Anglesea is only an hour from Chester.

I just want to understand what was going on.

Regards.
milly
Call Sign: redacted

Post by milly »

The UK Aeronautical Rescue Co-ordination Centre (currently at RAF Kinloss) uses the callword KINLOSS RESCUE. They use two remote, HF, transmitter sites with half a dozen frequencies (5.680 MHz and 4.718 MHz being the day and night primary). RESCUE 1xx are helicopter callsigns (they only use RESCUE when on a shout, if training they still use the same numeric but with SRD or SRG). 122 to 124 are allocated to the flight at RAF Valley on Anglesey.

As to whether the shout you heard was on Anglesey...possibly, but bear in mind that the helicopters cover a very large area not just the island.

Note that the web site referenced above is years out of date.
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"
M1ZXZ
Regular
Regular

Post by M1ZXZ »

Thanks milly for the reply,

You mentioned 2 remote transmitters, I wander where there locations are ?
Kinloss Rescue sounded very loud and clear.

It's all very interesting and I guess I've still got some learning to do, I'me currently googling the web to find related information on both RAF Kinloss and the associated helicopter crews.

Thanks for you input.

Regards..