Newbie needs some answers

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
FEZZYBOY
Call Sign: 26CT6666

Newbie needs some answers

Post by FEZZYBOY »

Hello, i`m toying with the idea of getting one of those Baofeng UV-5 R+ handheld HF radios to get into the amateur side of radio.I`m already a legal CB user and a legal AM monitor.I know that i won`t be able to operate repeaters and other frequencies,but are there any frequencies that i would be legal to use? example: my friend has the same radio so to pick a frequency that is unused would be ok or is it a definate no-no to transmit at all without a foundation licence at the least? I`m interested in getting into this side of radio comms,but not sure of the legalities of it.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. :D
FEZZYBOY 26-TM-662 / 26-CT-6666 / M6ZEF
Ranger RCI2970dx
Cobra 25 uk ltd st
Audioline 340
Cobra 19 DX IV
Baofeng UV-5 RC
H-777
Intek H-520
Baofeng UVB5
Baofeng UV3+
4 element-2m Yagi
Venom Silver rod 5/8
M0MTH
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0MTH

Re: Newbie needs some answers

Post by M0MTH »

446 is probably your best bet? You could use the LPD channels, though as these are shared with the 70cm amateur band, you could potentially cause interference to amateur repeater input frequencies...
I just wouldn't advise to pick a random frequency and just use it, even if you monitor a while and it appears clear, there is still the possibility of causing interference to other users, and that's when you get noticed.
I would expect you to be fine using the 8 licence-free channels at 446MHz.
FEZZYBOY

Post by FEZZYBOY »

Thanks for the advice M0mth,I still fancy getting one,even if it is to just monitor for the moment and get used to the frequencies until i can get to take a foundation course.If i passed the foundation would i then be allocated a call sign and be able to then transmit on HF? I really don`t know much about amateur yet.
I`ll check out the 446 radios to see if they`re any good.Thanks for that.
Cheers.
Ranger RCI2970dx
Cobra 25 uk ltd st
Audioline 340
Cobra 19 DX IV
Baofeng UV-5 RC
H-777
Intek H-520
Baofeng UVB5
Baofeng UV3+
4 element-2m Yagi
Venom Silver rod 5/8
jonajuna
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: jon

Post by jonajuna »

FEZZYBOY wrote:Hello, i`m toying with the idea of getting one of those Baofeng UV-5 R+ handheld HF radios to get into the amateur side of radio.I`m already a legal CB user and a legal AM monitor.I know that i won`t be able to operate repeaters and other frequencies,but are there any frequencies that i would be legal to use? example: my friend has the same radio so to pick a frequency that is unused would be ok or is it a definate no-no to transmit at all without a foundation licence at the least? I`m interested in getting into this side of radio comms,but not sure of the legalities of it.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. :D
to answer your question as you've asked it (which I've emboldened), no

you can use cb on your approved CB legally and you can use a =<500mw pep, fixed antenna PMR set legally. to use your Baofeng to transmit you will require a license, nothing to stop you using it to listen with it.

you cant use it legally on PMR as it will put out more than the permitted power and have a removable antenna

though the chances of getting caught "illegally" using it on PMR is, i suspect, very very low

as for your second question, yes, pass your foundation and you will get a M6xxx callsign and be free to use most bands with a power limit of 10watts (and some other minor(ish) restrictions) you can build and use any antenna you wish though are limited to CE approved transceivers (which the Baofeng is questionably)

my advice as you are thinking about getting licensed is go for it... but then I am 3 weeks post foundation exam, 2 weeks with a call sign and due to sit intermediate in Jan 2013 :)

the foundation is easy if you read and reread the Foundation Now book, get a bit of practice with a local ham (though not necessary, just useful), ideally get on a course if you are unsure of your ability to learn the necessary. the intermediate is proving more interesting and has some challenges but i'm confident that i will get through this without too much problem. then the bands are all avaliable and power limits jump to 50watts and i can make my own kit :)
FEZZYBOY

Post by FEZZYBOY »

Thankyou,thats really clarified things for me.I havent bought any HF equipment yet as i didnt know the full ins and outs.I may still buy the radio,just to listen to,which will give me some incentive to go for the foundation licence maybe after Xmas.I`am actually having a look to see if there`s any local courses to get on as i`ve seen some of the questions for the foundation and had a go at them.Some are easy,some i didnt have a clue about,but a club would sort that out for me.
Thanks very much for the info and congratulations and good luck with your intermediate.
Ranger RCI2970dx
Cobra 25 uk ltd st
Audioline 340
Cobra 19 DX IV
Baofeng UV-5 RC
H-777
Intek H-520
Baofeng UVB5
Baofeng UV3+
4 element-2m Yagi
Venom Silver rod 5/8
M0MTH
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M0MTH »

FEZZYBOY wrote:Thanks for the advice M0mth,I still fancy getting one,even if it is to just monitor for the moment and get used to the frequencies until i can get to take a foundation course.
I would definitely go for the foundation, and it's worth getting one of the baofengs for the price, even if just to monitor at the moment.
If i passed the foundation would i then be allocated a call sign and be able to then transmit on HF? I really don`t know much about amateur yet.
Yes, if you passed the foundation you would receive a call sign and be able to transmit with 10w on nearly all of the amateur bands. Just to clarify, the uv5r will only cover portions of vhf and uhf containing the 2m and 70cm amateur bands, to cover hf you will require a different transceiver...
M0MTH
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M0MTH »

FEZZYBOY wrote:I`ll check out the 446 radios to see if they`re any good.Thanks for that.
Cheers.
Oh - I was suggesting programming the 446 channels into the baofeng, no it's not strictly legal, but if used sensibly it shouldn't really be a problem ;)
FEZZYBOY

Post by FEZZYBOY »

Thanks for all your help!!! :D
Ranger RCI2970dx
Cobra 25 uk ltd st
Audioline 340
Cobra 19 DX IV
Baofeng UV-5 RC
H-777
Intek H-520
Baofeng UVB5
Baofeng UV3+
4 element-2m Yagi
Venom Silver rod 5/8
jonajuna
Banned
Banned

Post by jonajuna »

my first ventures into radio was with the Baofeng UV3R the older brother to yours, so id agree with M0MTH and say get it anyway, for listening now and then when you get your ticket :) (though i was also naughty and used it as a third set on PMR for camping and walking adventures)

im still limited to 2m/70cm with my handie and a dual bander in the car. getting HF at xmas though

if you have the pennies to spare, get the Foundation Now! book, it really is all you will need to learn on theory to pass the foundation exam. the practical assessment is really a tuition /assessment session... to fail youd have to be really daft and not listen at all to the tutors on the day

i did my foundation by "e-learning" with email support and just the book, the tutors sent me lesson plans and revision questions each week followin gthe class they taught face to face with those that could get to class. i just went in for the assessment and exam
FEZZYBOY

Post by FEZZYBOY »

Thanks,sounds like the way to go and once i set my sights on something i learn everything about the subject,so shouldn`t have too much of a problem.I`ll check out Foundation Now as i`ve seen it on e-bay,so thanks for that too!!
I`ll let you guys know how i get on!

73`s
Ranger RCI2970dx
Cobra 25 uk ltd st
Audioline 340
Cobra 19 DX IV
Baofeng UV-5 RC
H-777
Intek H-520
Baofeng UVB5
Baofeng UV3+
4 element-2m Yagi
Venom Silver rod 5/8
moggy
Call Sign: 2e0dxi

Post by moggy »

Theres more to dx than hf vhf/uhf can also put some good dx in there and likewise dont wait. book your foundation its not really hard and it allows you to use hf vhf uhf and believe me theres a lot to use and do even with 10w ive been a swl listener for a number of yrs also a ex cb'er and now i can talk to the people instead of listening to them.
Saying that only got my c/s today
Kenwood ts2000e heil studio mic
altron 12m mast tailtwister rotor
hygain th3 mk3 triband/cushcraft 3 ele 6m/2x9 element 2m
gainmaster/x510 whitestick
jaybeam airband vertical
jonajuna
Banned
Banned

Post by jonajuna »

congrats moggy :)

just 18 days til i get HF :)

im struggling to motivate for my intermediate though, only 50 days til the exam, need to get my study head on :/

from what i have read and talked to other about, 10 watts HF and decent aerial opens up the whole world to you on vhf/uhf youll get 50 at best unless SE hits you lucky
moggy
Call Sign: 2e0dxi

Post by moggy »

Are you self testing with hamtests i tried the intermediate and got 79% on first try but then mine isnt untill april so plenty of time to study.
i have a full hf set-up now im looking at cheapish 2m and 70cm stuff and a full tri-band beam as im using a full wire and a sirio 11m beam adjusted for 10m which works ok with the atu on 20 but not as good as a proper beam would.
Kenwood ts2000e heil studio mic
altron 12m mast tailtwister rotor
hygain th3 mk3 triband/cushcraft 3 ele 6m/2x9 element 2m
gainmaster/x510 whitestick
jaybeam airband vertical
jonajuna
Banned
Banned

Post by jonajuna »

Havent even worked all the way through the book yet and am 3 weeks behind on my elearning.....

Though that still isnt as bad as the 5 months that im behind on my management diploma!!!! Lol

Looks like i have a busy christmas break to come :(
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

FEZZYBOY wrote:Hello, i`m toying with the idea of getting one of those Baofeng UV-5 R+ handheld HF
They are not HF radios (0-30 MHz) intended for 'worldwide' communications.
They are VHF / UHF and are intended for short range communications. (Although you can have great fun fitting a directional antenna and using amateur satellites for Europe wide comms)
FEZZYBOY wrote: frequencies that i would be legal to use?
None without a licence (whether amateur or business) of some sort.
M0MTH wrote: 446 is probably your best bet? You could use the LPD channels,
Incorrect. The radios are not legal to use on 446, or on LPD for that matter. (The hint there is in the name, LowPowerDevice). I'm surprised somebody who claims to have a full amateur licence is giving this advice to somebody who wishes to remain legal. EDIT: Although I note you did later correct yourself ;)

Now, if you ask the question, "Is it anti-social, rather than illegal to use these radios on 446".......
The devil finds work for idle circuits