Spot the Hamtests mistake

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
SilverKnight

Spot the Hamtests mistake

Post by SilverKnight »

I found this on the Hamtests website yesteday:-

2a Types of Amateur Licence

What are the 3 current UK Licence Levels??
Foundation, Intermediate & Advance
Foundation, Intermediate & Novice
General, Intermediate & Technician
General, Novice & Technician

On wonder people get confused when they talk about the FULL licence. The FULL licence book is called "Advance" not the licence.
73's
Mark
http://www.mw0mau.net
163TM018 (no longer used)
MW6MAU
2W0UAA
MW0MAU
Foundation Instructor Blackwood ADRS
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Spot the Hamtests mistake

Post by Yeti »

Not their only mistake.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Post by 26TM944 »

There are several on Hamtests that are wrong, you can send them the question (you found) that they have wrong and hope they update it with the correct answer.

I found the ones on SARC much better and also accurate.

Shame if someone failed because of bad info. Get the Alan Betts books. Much better.

26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
SilverKnight

Post by SilverKnight »

26TM944 wrote:There are several on Hamtests that are wrong, you can send them the question (you found) that they have wrong and hope they update it with the correct answer.

I found the ones on SARC much better and also accurate.

Shame if someone failed because of bad info. Get the Alan Betts books. Much better.

I have sent them an email pointing out their mistake and I got a reply stating that they took their info from the RSGB and ofcom and that they used the term "Advanced" to avoid confusion !!!! :roll: I have now sent them a copy of the current foundation syllabus for them to look at. Hopefully they will update their question.

I always make a point of recommending that foundation students get a copy of the "foundation Licence Now" book.
73's
Mark
MW6MAU
2W0UAA
MW0MAU
NoiseBoy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by NoiseBoy »

My test documents specified the location as 'advanced examination centre' so both terms are in use by RCF
2e0sql

Post by 2e0sql »

Hi Mark,

I’ve already thanked you for reporting this to us via email, but as you posted it onto a public forum might as well do so here which is that the term Advanced is used within the training material (book and other documents by the RCF) hence why we use it.

Clearly some questions will have errors this is rare for most sections now given the fact it’s a very mature set of questions to compliment the exam syllabus, but sometimes errors do appear and once we’re made aware of them they’re normally fixed promptly.

73, Peter, 2E0SQL
HamTests
SilverKnight

Post by SilverKnight »

2e0sql wrote:Hi Mark,

I’ve already thanked you for reporting this to us via email, but as you posted it onto a public forum might as well do so here which is that the term Advanced is used within the training material (book and other documents by the RCF) hence why we use it.

Clearly some questions will have errors this is rare for most sections now given the fact it’s a very mature set of questions to compliment the exam syllabus, but sometimes errors do appear and once we’re made aware of them they’re normally fixed promptly.

73, Peter, 2E0SQL
HamTests

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I have also seen advanced here and there in the text, but never in the licensing conditions and therefore an advanced license does not exist. The books should be edited to remove advance from the text and the full license book should be renamed "Full License" to avoid confusion.

I must admit I wrote the first email to you in a bit of a rush as I was very surprised to find the mistake. I hope you update the question as soon as you can because your site is a very valuable resource for people who are learning about amateur radio. I have directed all my foundation students to your site and hope that I can continue to do so in the future.

Best Regards,
Mark
73's
Mark
MW6MAU
2W0UAA
MW0MAU
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

I must say that I used the Hamtests site as my main form of revision before the foundation exam along with a copy of "foundation Licence Now".

Hamtest was easy to use in work at lunch time and found it an excellent rescource and would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

Thing is, there's very rarely a need to know the correct answer for these questions, and this 'mistake' is a prime example.

There's usually an answer so ridiculous that it's impossible, then one slightly more likely, then one probable, and then the correct one.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
AndyWestcott
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0WAN

Post by AndyWestcott »

Or as I find, 2 silly ones and 2 highly ambiguous ones.
I could give examples but 'tiz getting late. :)