Can you listen to DMR without a DMR I.D

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Can you listen to DMR without a DMR I.D

Post by radiosification »

Not exactly. The scan list only scans the channels in that scan list. If you want to monitor both timeslots then add the two channels for them into a scan list and on the radio just turn on scan.

The talkgroups bit is completely separate. A channel will receive anything on the groups in the RX group list assigned to that channel.

DMR repeaters transmit idle data occasionally so that's probably what you're hearing. It should sound slightly different when someone actually starts talking.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Phoenix standard DMR talkgroups:
http://www.dmr-uk.net/index.php/standard/

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Ah I got ya.

So I'll just need to wait until there's some activity on GB7NS to see if I pick up anything on the Hytera which probably wont be until this evening. I've also got an external SMA antenna for it to make sure I receive strong signals.

I also set these call tones into the radio which I can't wait to hear and thought I'd share them. I took the screen shots from the internet but will work on the PD705 LT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

It just worked I heard a conversion :D :D :D

The call tone I set didn't work so I probably haven't set that up right but the good thing is I'm receiving :D
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Great. Glad you got it working.

It's well worth getting an amateur licence so you can join in. I didn't do it for quite a few years but eventually decided to and don't regret it one bit.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

radiosification wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 12:20 Great. Glad you got it working.

It's well worth getting an amateur licence so you can join in. I didn't do it for quite a few years but eventually decided to and don't regret it one bit.
I already have an amateur license but its lapsed I'll be sure to renew it some time this week or next week. I'm also on QRZ as well. Next I just need to set up the Sepura call open/end tones :)

The tone setting for the call open and end tone is under General Settings > then UI Indication which I have not figured out yet how to set the tones in UI Indication settings.

I also wanted to thank those for helping me understand DMR and how it all works I never thought I'd learn it so quickly or even at all.
PatJD66
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by PatJD66 »

Hi there , did you get around this? I’ve just received my dmr radio and having the same problem you had, I want to just listen for now , what did you do ?

Hi I really hope somebody can help me here as I'm going out of my mind.

I was told I could listen to DMR Amatuer radio transmissions without having a DMR I.D

I've just dug out a DMR radio as I'm at a lose with my Hytera PD785.

I have programed in GB7NS color code 3 slot 2 but I hear nothing other than a light is on that indicates there is activity. I just want to listen only. Is that possible?

I'm using a Hytera DMR PD705 LT, the programming software looks very complex so I've not a clue what I'm doing.
[/quote]
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

Have you programmed the correct talkgroup ID's? It's been a while since I did any DMR stuff, but IIRC you also need to prog the relevant talkgroup ID's as well. I'm not sure what TGID's are carried by NS, but you'll need to have them in the radio or it won't do anything.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

ill be lost here .i tried log in to the local repeaters and it wouldnt let me you had to get in touch with something or ever i gave up and listened to locals
love your familly
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

You'll probably need an ID to get into the repeaters, but you will be able to listen in fine without one. The best way to get started is to binge-watch Radiosification's DMR vids on youtube. Put simply, to LISTEN to a ham dmr repeater, you will need to correctly program *ALL* of the following:

1: Frequencies;
2: Colour codes;
3: Time slots;
4:Talkgroup ID/s

Unless your radio has Promiscuous mode, you will need to correctly enter all the above details or you will hear *NOTHING*.

To tx into most DMR repeaters, you will need all of the above, plus a DMR ID which has been issued by the system operator of the repeater network you wish to use. This will almost certainly be one of the ham DMR ID providers. There is, of course, nothing stopping you making your own repeater with your own DMR ID system, but this won't work on any of the other systems.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Answer to the post..

yes, and you don't even need a DMR id to use a proper DMR repeater either.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

bigpimp347 wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 17:16 Answer to the post..

spill Big Pimp lol
love your familly
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

stanogs68 wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 19:48
bigpimp347 wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 17:16 Answer to the post..

spill Big Pimp lol

well it's not rocket science..
you only need a DMR id to join a DMR network, like Phoenix, Brandmeister or that new one set up by the guy who got Brandmeister shut down in the UK.

so if say your local repeater uses say a Hytera unit which is a true stand alone DMR repeater, you can set your radio up as radio id 123 and your mate as 321 and use either slot 1 or slot 2 and have matching TG you can talk to each other,
now locals to the repeater can hear you if they run promiscuous mode but to over come being heard just run encryption codes, most basic DMR radios will have either four digit basic encryption or thirty digit secure encryption.
and even DSD+ can't decode encryption codes, so you and a mate can use a local proper repeater encrypted on DMR, unlicenced and no one will know who you are.
if you don't run encryption then they will only know who you are when you identify your self.

long story short.
you only need a DMR id for network access.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

right ,thank you get it now :thumbup:
love your familly