Cobra 148 GTL DX MK1 - Mic Audio Mod

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Cobra 148 GTL DX MK1 - Mic Audio Mod

Post by ch25 »

I would not go higher than 1uF, not much benefit.
Btw, what microphone are you using?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

cb4ever104 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 08:30
ch25 wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 13:28 For a try no need to replace, just add new, parallel to existing ones on the foil side.
Are you saying that these new 470nF caps need to be added in parallel on the solder side , or do they replace the original part ?
You can add them in parallel on the solder side to try them out. They are so much larger values than the original capacitors that the ones that are in there will have little effect on the total capacitance.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Phuture

Post by Phuture »

Astatic Teardrop.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Junk mic.
Want play with audio get a good one.
Behringer XM8500 for example.

If you want cheaper than that, get Panasonic WM61A. Will sound excellent.
wm61a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phuture

Post by Phuture »

I actually bought a Panasonic WM61A a while back and have been on the look out for a preamp circuit with separate bass and treble controls that I could use inside a fist mic, but haven't found one yet. The Behringer looks impressive, but I guess, as you say, would need to be used with an audio mixer, etc.

I have yet to carry out full AM and SSB tests on the 148 but with the replacement of the 3 caps so far, without injecting directly into the AM modulator (collector of TR50), there should already be an improvement in Tx audio on AM, right? I know I have to see if the SSB cap C129 needs changing as well to improve the audio there.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Now your microphone is a bottleneck.
Use this wm61a. Mod is simple. Put cap and resistor inside radio. 8V is present inside in many places.

xm8500 works good plugged directly, no need for extra gear.
Phuture

Post by Phuture »

I see what you're saying. I'll try it out. Thanks Lemmy. :thumbup:
Phuture

Post by Phuture »

Meant to ask, how critical is the tolerance figure of the caps? Up to what percentage is okay?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Don't bother the tolerance, you won't hear it.
Phuture

Post by Phuture »

Okay, thanks Lemmy.
Phuture

Post by Phuture »

Okay, just to conclude this thread, I went for WIMA metallised polyester film (MKS2) 1uF caps in the end. 148 Tx sounds really good now and got good audio reports. Thanks Lemmy. :thumbup:
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Good work!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Phuture wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 15:29 Okay, just to conclude this thread, I went for WIMA metallised polyester film (MKS2) 1uF caps in the end. 148 Tx sounds really good now and got good audio reports. Thanks Lemmy. :thumbup:
Hi P!

So that people don't have to read through this whole thread . Could you just say which caps you eventually changed , and their values .

Thx

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Phuture

Post by Phuture »

Hi Sammy,

Sure, no problem. There is actually no change from the original cap values Lemmy suggested replacing, so C135, C128 and C217 (MKT) for FM.

I changed mine to WIMA 1uF MKS2 caps. I don't think there is any difference between caps marked MKS and MKT as "S" and "T" are used to indicate polyester by different manufacturers, according to what I read. I tried CBB (Metallised Polypropylene Film) caps which are supposed to be even better for audio than metallised polyester and they worked well, but once I discovered MKS were the same as MKT I found more sellers on eBay selling the values I wanted to try (560nF, 680nF, 1uF) in metallised polyester. Honestly, I could not tell (nor local stations listening) any audible difference between the MKS and CBB cap types. I presume this is because we are not dealing with high-fidelity audio in the 148 GTL DX, but since the MKS caps come in smaller packages (less than 1cm wide) I went for MKS caps as they fit neatly into the original spaces in which the caps are located. The CBB caps I sourced at 100V were thick and much wider and although you can get 63V and 100V CBB caps that are around 1cm wide I could not see any benefit in using them.

I was not too bothered by the AM Tx audio of my 148 as AM seems to have a bias towards a slightly bassier Tx frequency response anyway (in my experience) and I don't use AM much anyway.

As Lemmy suggested, the value of C129 can also be increased to widen the Tx frequency response on SSB, but no one fairly local to me seems to have a problem with the original 148 SSB Tx audio quality. I will check with a few DX stations in the future, however, to see if my SSB Tx audio at distance is decent enough to keep as it is.

That's it. Hopefully it's useful to someone. Thanks again to Lemmy for the original help and advice.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Thanks P !
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.