FT991A Loose VFO Dial

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
dosformat
Regular
Regular

FT991A Loose VFO Dial

Post by dosformat »

Good afternoon all,

I wanted to see if other owners of the Yaesu FT-991A could shed some light on this and whether it's just my radio or whether it's the design of the radio.

The main tuning VFO wheel at the front has a torque control on the front to tension it. I like it on the loosest setting so it spins freely and allows for quick tuning throughout the band, however in this setting the VFO wheel wobbles. This is the first Yaesu I've had where the VFO knob seems to be loose and it's quite irrating to be honest. I didn't know if it was just the design of the radio and whether other people with this radio has experienced this problem. This is a new radio with extremely little use.

Any guidance would be greatly appriciated.

Kind regards,
Dos
warhorse

Re: FT991A Loose VFO Dial

Post by warhorse »

is radio still in warranty? all new yaesu have 3-years unless mars moded etc! or could try www.FT991A.com - https://groups.io/g/Yaesu-FT-991 join forum or view posts ? ask questions etc lots have had tx problems-they shut down after or before a year also they dont like stray rf so no contesting with field rads unless the rx rf mods done to contest lol or just bell a few radio eporiums!
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Tried both of mine with the tensioner slackened and no wobble.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Remove VFO knob and tighten nut as shown on attached image.
Clipboard01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
dosformat
Regular
Regular

Post by dosformat »

Thanks all for the replies.

I've confirmed it was a faulty knob and the dealer has sorted for me which was great.

Thanks again all for your help.

Kind regards,
Dos
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Sounds painful a "faulty knob" but glad you got sorted out.