Direct to Full License

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Direct to Full License

Post by Mikel »

NicolaJayne wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 18:22
given the 'standards' of operation from some who are clearly 'A' licence holders it might actually be more pertinent to bring in assessment based revalidation , especially given the number of RAE holders who give very poor advice to Neophytes and don;t understand the difference between ERP / back of the set power/ PEP and power/ PEP at the feedpoint
Ha, ha maybe you could be onto something there :)

I was recently speaking to a local, GW**** station and he wasn't aware that there was no longer a ban on talking about religious or political topics.

He obviously hadn't read the changes to his licensing conditions, but then again who does?

It was quite funny actually as I have known the guy for a number of years but only then found out we are both members of the same political party and neither of us goes to church on a regular basis. :)

Speaking of 'assessment based revalidation', my father in law could definitely do with something as he is over 70 yrs old and his driving leaves a lot to be desired, in fact it's terrifying going in the car with him, luckily hasn't happened a lot lately :)
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
NicolaJayne
Regular
Regular

Post by NicolaJayne »

It appears we may be on the same page

When some numpty who doesn't have a licence says ' but you can do 12W on Chicken box, why should I sit an exam to get 10 w on amateur ?' it;s down to ignorance yes you can have 12 w at the back of the set on Sideband CB ... but the 10 W for the FL holder is ( in most cases - see your licence conditions / band plan) is feedpoint power and nd neither back of the set power or ERP ( and plenty of FL holders have ERP in excess of of that due to antenna gain - the 'white stick' co linear for 2m and 70 cm beign the classic example especially once you get into th realsm of the 200 or 300 never mind the monster ones
NicolaJayne
Regular
Regular

Post by NicolaJayne »

Mikel wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 10:31
Tim Tom wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 23:16 Did my online foundation exam the other week (and passed) you have to present your drivers licence or passport as a form of ID. Along with using the Web cam to scan the room to show nobody else or no notes stuck on the walls etc.

Also, it's a radio exam, not the entrance exam into the marines, they're not going to go over the top with security and there's only so much they can do
Yes, I think your right and in fact as you probably know, to sit the Intermediate and Full at home it is even more strict as you must have 2 computers with 2 web cams running, one that needs to be set up off to the side which allows the invigilator to see you seated at your desk or table as well as you having to scan the room and provide photographic ID prior to starting the exam and on top of that, for all levels two or three days before their exam candidates will receive an invitation to join the Invigilator on a video call.

I assume that a similar setup will be in place for the new exam.
The second device for inter and full can apparently be any device which can run the relevant videoconferencing software (generally Webex or Zoom) the OS limitations are for the device running Testreach so you can use a iOS, Android or linux device phone / tablet or computer for the second device

https://rsgb.services/public/exams/docu ... ctions.pdf
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

NicolaJayne wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 13:26
Mikel wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 10:31
Tim Tom wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 23:16 Did my online foundation exam the other week (and passed) you have to present your drivers licence or passport as a form of ID. Along with using the Web cam to scan the room to show nobody else or no notes stuck on the walls etc.

Also, it's a radio exam, not the entrance exam into the marines, they're not going to go over the top with security and there's only so much they can do
Yes, I think your right and in fact as you probably know, to sit the Intermediate and Full at home it is even more strict as you must have 2 computers with 2 web cams running, one that needs to be set up off to the side which allows the invigilator to see you seated at your desk or table as well as you having to scan the room and provide photographic ID prior to starting the exam and on top of that, for all levels two or three days before their exam candidates will receive an invitation to join the Invigilator on a video call.

I assume that a similar setup will be in place for the new exam.
The second device for inter and full can apparently be any device which can run the relevant videoconferencing software (generally Webex or Zoom) the OS limitations are for the device running Testreach so you can use a iOS, Android or linux device phone / tablet or computer for the second device

https://rsgb.services/public/exams/docu ... ctions.pdf
Ah, I see thanks for that, it means that I only have to beg steal or borrow (or buy) 1 windows computer then :)

Actually I was speaking to my daughter about this issue and she said I can borrow her Windows 10 laptop, trouble is she is in uni at the moment (or I should say in Bristol where her uni is (UWE) and working from her shared house there) and we just need to work out the timing, but i'm in no rush.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

NicolaJayne wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 13:22 It appears we may be on the same page

When some numpty who doesn't have a licence says ' but you can do 12W on Chicken box, why should I sit an exam to get 10 w on amateur ?' it;s down to ignorance yes you can have 12 w at the back of the set on Sideband CB ... but the 10 W for the FL holder is ( in most cases - see your licence conditions / band plan) is feedpoint power and nd neither back of the set power or ERP ( and plenty of FL holders have ERP in excess of of that due to antenna gain - the 'white stick' co linear for 2m and 70 cm beign the classic example especially once you get into th realsm of the 200 or 300 never mind the monster ones
Yes it is surprising how many people do not know the difference between pep and erp and the different requirements and don't forget in addition you can make an allowance as a licensed amateur for feeder loss :)
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Exams either have status, or they don't - so ANY exam you take where there is no National Standard to compare results to, or the worst, the ones that have already printed out the certificates, are pointless. I rather like the idea of the webcam - that's at least trying to prevent fraud.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

lol - having read some of the opinions on here (to which everyone entitled of course, not knocking anybody) regarding improving the way for licencing etc, calm down people it's just a hobby for anyone of any age and capability to have a dabble and enjoy and / or for those that want take it more seriously and go further, it's not and shouldn't be like an exam to get into Mensa or something. I'm an M3 and happy with the little operating privilege I have and the small achievement of obtaining.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Mikel wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 11:28

I was recently speaking to a local, GW**** station and he wasn't aware that there was no longer a ban on talking about religious or political topics.

He obviously hadn't read the changes to his licensing conditions, but then again who does?

Imagine a refresher test ??
like they do with various business's, MOT testers, Gas installers and such.
what about every five years when the free licence runs out you have to take a refresher test to show you're still able to operate a radio ??

you can imagine which licence would be the first to not bother renewing,
or maybe certain licence classes have a refresher every five years unless they progress to the next level licence,

then once a person has a full licence a retest every five years ??

it's show that the operators are actually bothered about the hobby and have the ability to understand the rules, regulations and operating practices of their licence.
base the refresher course on the current licencing, band plans and such like..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Resits, retests, checks, all that takes time, money and resources which OFCOM won’t spend on Amateur Radio. Remember, we bring no income so we’re just a pain in the arse to them, an obstruction to frequency sales and a drain on their resources.

The hobby is in the state its in because nobody gives a crap anymore. The basic standards arent enforced any more, let alone the new Rfi rubbish they have brought in. And before anyone champions the RSGB as the saviour of the Hobby, seems to me the opinion on them is a glorified magazine seller and subscription taker.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

MrWeetabix wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 18:20 Resits, retests, checks, all that takes time, money and resources which OFCOM won’t spend on Amateur Radio. Remember,
then bring back a paid for licence that'll bring in some revenue,
it'll also wean out the freeloaders..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

bigpimp347 wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 19:23
MrWeetabix wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 18:20 Resits, retests, checks, all that takes time, money and resources which OFCOM won’t spend on Amateur Radio. Remember,
then bring back a paid for licence that'll bring in some revenue,
it'll also wean out the freeloaders..
I would pay for a licence, if it improved things and meant protection for some "core" bands.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
5973Laterz
Regular
Regular

Post by 5973Laterz »

I don't think a refresher test is a good idea and frankly it is better politics is left out of radio, the last thing I want to hear is other peoples views on politics, please oh god save us from that. I go on the radio to AVOID that. Every time I have been in contact with RSGB I have been impressed, helping people into the realms of being a ham, helpful, knowledgeable and many individuals giving up their free time, I have respect for them.

Direct to full fine by me, if you have the technical and mathematical knowledge and can remember 3 books worth of knowledge in 1 go, no problems with that.

The 50W for intermediate is a bit of a thorn in the side for me. 2 exams passed with high grades and cannot even use the full power capacity of my radio... bit of a stinger that... they must know the vast majority of radios are 100W.

I suppose it dangles a carrot for the full.
I worked the world at the 11 year cycle low on a snapped PL-259 center pin and 0.01W so neh neh ne ne neh
milly

Post by milly »

MrWeetabix wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 18:20 The hobby is in the state its in because nobody gives a crap anymore. The basic standards arent enforced any more, let alone the new Rfi rubbish they have brought in. And before anyone champions the RSGB as the saviour of the Hobby, seems to me the opinion on them is a glorified magazine seller and subscription taker.
A little harsh about the Radio Society of Good Buddies Ltd....... or at least harsh in respect of the people like OBW who are genuinely trying to help others and keep the hobby alive.
Unfortunately most of it is as you say...glorified magazine seller who's aim is to keep their salaried staff employed by squeezing as much money out of amateurs as they can. Tests taken equals money in the bank (a shame it doesn't also equate to amateurs using radios)

5973Laterz wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 11:31 ..... it is better politics is left out of radio, the last thing I want to hear is other peoples views on politics, please oh god save us from that.
Yeah. ....leave politics and colonoscopy bags out of amateur radio.
5973Laterz wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 11:31 ..... 2 exams passed with high grades.......
The exams are graded Pass or Fail - what are these 'good grades' you mention?
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

I think technology in the hobby is dividing it also with the realm of SDR and digital modes vs 'true radio' analogue as I've heard some say. My view personally is you have to move with the times and the hobby also, still the same though in that there's something for everyone. I'd like to know though how Ofcom sees the hobby and it's future.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Tim Tom
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26SW010

Post by Tim Tom »

I agree move with the times etc but also the hobby has to find a way to in a sorts rebrand itself and make itself more appealing to get others interested otherwise it's going to continue to die out. I believe having the direct to full licence will be a great way to help this. Otherwise some are going to look at the hobby, see you have to do 3 exams just to be able to use it to it's full extent and then say "Nah too much effort can't be bothered"
26-SW-010
26-TM-087

Tim The Milky Bar Kid