Afternoon from sunny England.

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Radiobum99
Regular
Regular

Afternoon from sunny England.

Post by Radiobum99 »

I’m just getting back into CB/ Ham radio after owning a few midland rigs in the 1970s and several Baofeng walkie talkies since.

This week I took the plunge and bought a CRT SS9900 and paired it with a Alinco DM-30E power supply. Not sure about the antenna yet although I have a Sirio GL27 Kit I can try it with when I get the last of the bits I need to set my new rig up. Wish me luck, I’ll need it :D
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Afternoon from sunny England.

Post by Werthers »

Radiobum99 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 16:00 I’m just getting back into CB/ Ham radio after owning a few midland rigs in the 1970s and several Baofeng walkie talkies since.

This week I took the plunge and bought a CRT SS9900 and paired it with a Alinco DM-30E power supply. Not sure about the antenna yet although I have a Sirio GL27 Kit I can try it with when I get the last of the bits I need to set my new rig up. Wish me luck, I’ll need it :D
Hi well first of all. I'm happy to hear that your coming back into radio especially amateur radio if your a licensed ham... I don't know what you mean about the "paired" power supply seems like a smart phone type of thing to me. The way I do it is hook two wires up to a suitable 12 volt PSU.

A CRT SS9900 is a CB/10 Meter radio right?

I don't wish to put you off the radio hobby we need as much new licensed hams as we can get. I'm not sure if your licensed or just a CBer but either way welcome to the world of radio.

Any questions about Amateur radio your welcome to ask me. I welcome any new people who want to join the hobby. Ignore the the old bigots on here. I generally just want to welcome new comers to the hobby.
Radiobum99
Regular
Regular

Post by Radiobum99 »

Werthers wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 19:42
Radiobum99 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 16:00 I’m just getting back into CB/ Ham radio after owning a few midland rigs in the 1970s and several Baofeng walkie talkies since.

Hi well first of all. I'm happy to hear that your coming back into radio especially amateur radio if your a licensed ham... I don't know what you mean about the "paired" power supply seems like a smart phone type of thing to me. The way I do it is hook two wires up to a suitable 12 volt PSU.

A CRT SS9900 is a CB/10 Meter radio right?

I don't wish to put you off the radio hobby we need as much new licensed hams as we can get. I'm not sure if your licensed or just a CBer but either way welcome to the world of radio.

Any questions about Amateur radio your welcome to ask me. I welcome any new people who want to join the hobby. Ignore the the old bigots on here. I generally just want to welcome new comers to the hobby.
Thanks for replying and I do appreciate the welcome. By paired I just mean the power supply is the one I happened to buy, a Alinco DM-30E. Nice little set. No issues with it up to now.

The SS990 is 10 meter although I’ve not had it very long and still finding my way around it. I’m just a CB’er atm although studying for my licence.

Thanks for the offer of advice, I’ll take you up on it if I get stuck on things. I’m ok for the moment, I've got my rig running nicely and listening to the airwaves rather than chatting. I’ll leave that for when I’m more experienced and licensed.

Thanks again
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

11 meters "CB" is good. Its been many years since I've dabbled in CB but I do have an interest in 10 meters and AM 11 meters sometimes SSB but generally its FM 10 meters when the band is open or SSB 10 meters sometimes.

For the transceiver you mentioned you can use any 12 volt or 13.8 volt power supply at 10 amps or over. The more amps the better depending on how many watts you are using.

If your using a power supply that isn't capable of supplying enough current to the transceiver then you can get problems. For your antenna depending on your situation, space and limitations you can happily use two mobile CB whip antennas in 3/8 dipole center which you can find on ebay which you can polarized horizontally for DX or vertical for local . Vertically can work for both.

Two tank whips is best for a dipole configuration if you have more space.

Antenna works best outside.

For coax RG58 will do if the length isn't going to be miles long. You could also use RG8 mini coax 50 ohm coax.

CB can be fun when the band is open.

The Foundation course is free for getting a license for the ham bands but prepare yourself before hand. I do believe there are some mock exams you can do online.
Radiobum99
Regular
Regular

Post by Radiobum99 »

Werthers wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 21:31 11 meters "CB" is good. Its been many years since I've dabbled in CB but I do have an interest in 10 meters and AM 11 meters sometimes SSB but generally its FM 10 meters when the band is open or SSB 10 meters sometimes.

For the transceiver you mentioned you can use any 12 volt or 13.8 volt power supply at 10 amps or over. The more amps the better depending on how many watts you are using.

If your using a power supply that isn't capable of supplying enough current to the transceiver then you can get problems. For your antenna depending on your situation, space and limitations you can happily use two mobile CB whip antennas in 3/8 dipole center which you can find on ebay which you can polarized horizontally for DX or vertical for local . Vertically can work for both.

Two tank whips is best for a dipole configuration if you have more space.

Antenna works best outside.

For coax RG58 will do if the length isn't going to be miles long. You could also use RG8 mini coax 50 ohm coax.

CB can be fun when the band is open.

The Foundation course is free for getting a license for the ham bands but prepare yourself before hand. I do believe there are some mock exams you can do online.

I’ve not had much luck on HAM bands regarding interesting or any lol conversion but heard quite a few on the CB channels.

I believe my 9900 can output up to 15 amps from what I’ve read so went with a 20 amp supply for a nice safety margin.

I’m having quite a lot of luck with a Sirio gl27. More than I imagined when I bought it to be honest. Its pre tuned and needs no external ground plane and seems ideal to leave on the window sill. I intend to get a professional installer to pop a decent antenna on the roof eventually.

This little rig set up is keeping me happy for now :D

I wonder if you can help me with a query, The Sirio gl27 came with a pre cut length of 50 ohm coax and I read that it needs to remain that exact length as it forms part of the ground plane. Does that sound right as if not I’d like to add a longer length.

I got a friend to do the licence course with me. Hoping he’ll get a rig too soon and we can CB each other. I know there are mobile phones these days but that's no where near as much fun :D