Hello/diymast question

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Weibo
New User
New User

Hello/diymast question

Post by Weibo »

Hi new to the forum 1st post I came across the forum looking for mast ideas and saw some 25ft+ masts using some Aluminium scaffold pole.

I hope to build one about 12-13m total hight starting with an Aluminium 6m(20ft) scaffold pole and raising it a meter up and bolting it to a brick wall with 3 steel brackets at 1m ,2m and 3m rest unsupported (4m of Ali) then having a 5m fibreglass rod inserted into the pole.

any comments or ideas about length, strength, can anyone recommend fibreglass pole thickness etc

thanks

Aaron
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Re: Hello/diymast question

Post by Ant »

Instead of using scaffold pole, use swaged poles as they're easier to connect one to another to get more height. What antenna are you looking to use? Just wondered what the use of the 5m fibreglass pole would be?
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Weibo
New User
New User

Post by Weibo »

Hi, thanks for your reply ill look into swaged poles! the fibreglass pole was just to extend it to a longer length without a lot of weight being held hight up on the mast and if it were telescopic could be packet away pretty easily.

I imagine its also a bit less menacing to see a thinner fibreglass pole than a fat shiny metal one looming over you :mrgreen: (neighbours etc)
also wasn't sure if a 6 metre pole would support another 5m pole without flexing a lot in wind or if it may even buckle

thanks
Weibo
New User
New User

Post by Weibo »

swaged poles look ideal! kinda.. I can find 2" diameter but max wall thickness is 2.65 mm where as Aluminium scaffold pole is 48.3mm diameter with a 4mm wall thickness I imagine a lot stronger? will these swaged bars be ok to use without guyes. im new to all this and have ambitions

sorry I also forgot to answer your question the antenna id like to fit is a fibreglass 1200mm omni antenna
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Aluminium not being as strong as steel will have to have a thicker wall thickness to gain the rigidity and tensile strength of steel. But consider the aluminium scaffold pole, how will you add one to another to extend the linear dimension? This is where swaged poles are a winner.

Dependent on the length, there may be some guying needed with either, if not secured with brackets along the length against a wall for example. Also don't rely on fibreglass poles long term outside as they can get very brittle in the cold weather, so consider using metal poles for the entire length.

Fibreglass antennas are ok, as the fiberglass isn't supporting anything. However even the manufactures of fibreglass poles for supporting vertical wire antennas even recommend not leaving them out in the winter
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling