Baofeng vhf licence

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
White night
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Ts01

Baofeng vhf licence

Post by White night »

Looking at getting a vhf uhf but need to get a new licence anyone k ow what site I can do this on tha ks guys hope you all safe and well
md007
Registered New User
Registered New User

Re: Baofeng vhf licence

Post by md007 »

Top of the Day WK,

I am also new to this and noticed "Baofeng" I don't have the answer to your question as I just picked up 2 Baofeng uv9rplus, and have been programing them and figuring out the operation for a few days. Just wanted to start making contact with other Baofeng users to net work if necessary as the input these things can handle are vast, and i hope to use them to their full potential.

Have a good one,
md007
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

White night wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 01:10 Looking at getting a vhf uhf but need to get a new licence anyone k ow what site I can do this on tha ks guys hope you all safe and well
I assume you mean a Private Business Licence? If you meant HAM then whats wrong with your old one?

If you can clarify what you mean we might be able to answer your query. Thanks
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

licence to use a baofeng ??
all depends where you plan on using it..
you can't legally use one without a licence.
so you'd need to check the Ofcom website for Light user licence which is £75 for 5 years only allows 5w and hand helds only and are not for recreational use, only business use. (schools or sports)
there are no other licences available apart from an amateur radio licence which you need to take a test to obtain one.
they're not even legal to use on 446 licence free band.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
White night
Regular
Regular

Post by White night »

Thanks for the replies guys firstly my ham licence wouldve run out or probably be invalid as I hot it when I was a youngster and since my parents both passed away long ago my docs and nearly all of my radio equipment was thrown out by my dad as we didnt get on after my mum passed and he remarried twice wrongly money grabbers just wanted to check as I've not up to date with all the new laws on radio comms I will be getting round to doing a new test for ham later this year when I've got some equipment my youngest loves my cb rig in the car and want one for home an as fm is now quite apart from our farmers and the odd trucker wanted to get home something he can use that will be a good start for him aswell any advice on mobile rigs and base rigs will also be a great help thanks guys 73s
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

My goodness this is tricky. If you have an older ham licence are are in the UK, it’s very simple. You go to the ofcom site and follow the instructions, it really is quite easy. If it’s old, and was the class A or Class B call sign you will need to supply them with the paperwork to validate it. I had a 20 yr break and supplied the certificate and the Morse code certificate and got it reinstated easily. Odd you needed the Morse thing when it isnt needed any more, but that was what they asked for. However you don’t have this, so, If you don’t have it, and don’t want your old call sign back, take a new test and start again. I have no idea what you mean with the money grabbers comments? There are no new laws. The licence terms are a bit easier now, but it’s got less rules based, not more. For the codes of practice and channelisation for two and seventy just google them, or go to the RSGB site. I found everything in two minutes, so no idea why you couldn’t? No idea on CB, sorry.

There are tons of amateur radio and ham radio sites, forums and other useful online facilities, but I don’t quite see what you are stuck with? Once you have your licence, which wont be quick with covid, you are off, but a handheld isnt going to be that useful apart from local stuff on your local repeater.
White night
Regular
Regular

Post by White night »

Thanks for the info unfortunately I no longer have any docs for my old license I did contact Ofcom and still waiting a reply hence my question thanks for the info I'm just going to do another test and just wanted to find out from some people in the know right now so thanks guys 73s stay safe
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

White night wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 04:24 Thanks for the info unfortunately I no longer have any docs for my old license I did contact Ofcom and still waiting a reply hence my question...
Do you know your old callsign? The year you got it? It may be in an old RSGB callsign book, if it is then there may be a chance you can get it back if you can show them you had one and it was registered, it has been done before apparently. Just a thought.
The perfect face for radio.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

You would need to source the documents - they're adamant they need proof. To be fair, taking the test could be the simplest route.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

paulears wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 21:22 You would need to source the documents - they're adamant they need proof. To be fair, taking the test could be the simplest route.
Take the test again, no doubt you'll be fine with the revised content. then when you're issued a full call, you can apply to have your old call re-issued. That might be the easiest way to go in all fairness.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

MrWeetabix wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 00:18
paulears wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 21:22 You would need to source the documents - they're adamant they need proof. To be fair, taking the test could be the simplest route.
Take the test again, no doubt you'll be fine with the revised content. then when you're issued a full call, you can apply to have your old call re-issued. That might be the easiest way to go in all fairness.
he'd have to start again with the foundation first.

Ofcom don't keep records since they took over from the RA and DTI and City and Guilds,
so you 'could' claim to have passed years ago and never had a licence issued
you could then 'doctor' someones pass certificate (photoshop skills required)
and send them a vintage looking photo copy of your certificate and they will just issue you a licence.
plenty of silent keys out there, i have two pass papers if anyone needs a copy :)

just edit, print new details, Ofcom can't contact the college, the aRSeGB won't have a record of an RAE pass and nothing recorded if it was never applied for..

just saying..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!