New scanner - Which one?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

New scanner - Which one?

Post by nordhavn »

I'm in the market for a new handheld scanner.
At the moment I'm still using 2 RadioShack analogue ones but I've also got an sdrplay with dsd+ that I listen to some digital stuff.
When it comes to choosing which radio to go for I'm lost and they all sound complex to use . Any advice would be great.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Which one?

Post by ch25 »

Analogue or digital scanner?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Which one?

Post by nordhavn »

I do apologize a digital scanner .
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: New scanner - Which one?

Post by MrWeetabix »

Have amended thread title so its more apprent what its about. Hope thats alright Nordhavn.

Good to see you back on the boards too fella 👍
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nordhavn »

MrWeetabix wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 12:43 Have amended thread title so its more apprent what its about. Hope thats alright Nordhavn.

Good to see you back on the boards too fella 👍
All good , thanks .
Just thought I'd get people's opinions before I spend 2 weeks wages on one lol.
jhampton2000

Post by jhampton2000 »

I have experience with the Uniden 3600 and the Whistler TRX1. Also the Icom R30 and the AOR DV10. The Icom R30 is an excellent receiver, but doesn't do DMR. Most digital in the UK is DMR. If it did do DMR it'd be top of the list. You will only be disappointed with the AOR DV10, keep clear !

From what I understand the SDS100E is very similar performance to the Uniden 3600 but with a nice configurable colour display and it can handle simulcast. We don't have simulcast issues in the UK though.

So it's Uniden 3600 vs Whistler TRX1. In short the TRX1 and the 3600 are very similar and good scanners. In my view, the bigger differences are:
TRX is good for scanning a known set of frequencies but is a nuisance to program in the field.
3600 much easier/better for searching for new frequencies: the TRX isn't intuitive on this
I find the TRX a bit more sensitive but much less selective vs the 3600
3600 much better on civil and milair vs the TRX
DMR simplex on the TRX is better than the 3600
The TRX doesn't trunk track
Close call on the 3600 much better than the equivalent on the TRX
Auto decode mode on the TRX doesn't work on several search techniques. Always works on the 3600
Delay in opening squelch on the TRX is a bit annoying
Volume on the TRX earphone jack is quite low on the TRX vs the 3600
Recordings from the 3600 easier to work with but the TRX 'always enabled' way of recording is much better/sensible
TRX is slow to startup.
Lack of ability to configure step size and mode per bandplan is a real constraint on the TRX
The ability to search a band by digital mode only is very helpful on the TRX
I have very few issues reading/writing data on and off the 3600 SD card. I have more frequent issues with the TRX
I find the TRX display a bit clearer to read but the way it displays some digital mode info is annoying/limited
4 AA batteries in the TRX means it lasts longer than the x3 AA in the 3600. Both eat batteries. Both can run happily off power to the usb port.
Software for the Uniden (eg ARC536) MUCH easier to deal with vs EZScan.
Both can cover the same common digital modes. The 3600 only overs DMR out of the box but you can pay for NXDN add on/upgrade too. NXDN is quite unusual in the UK (maybe 5%, unless you scan motorsports related comms when its more like 95% NXDN). There is no Provoice in the UK.

If I had to decide on one vs the other, I'd be going for the 3600 largely because it is much better at/easier to search for new stuff - the TRX is good at scanning known stuff: So my 3600 is my main unit. But if I had the option to do so I'd still have both - I do and I have (plus a few others too) !

These are my own views based on my experience.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

That's useful info. I'm well fixed with an AOR AR1at home, but I've been contemplating a DMR-capable handheld for a while now. Sounds like the Uniden may be the one. It's been ages since I've come across any NXDN, so I probably wouldn't be bothering with any add ons.
Trouble is I have never got on very well with Unidens, as they seem heavily biased toward memory operation. All my other scanners allow you to freely tune around and then stick any finds in memory, but Unidens force you to put things in memory before you start. My Icom and AOR scanners have all had simple 'VFO' buttons, but Uniden's 'hold enter hold' stuff drives me barmy. Mind you I was probably just wedded to my old ways and didn't want to change, which is me all over...
I'll take a look. Thanks.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nordhavn »

Thanks for the information, originally I was considering the aor till I read the reviews. Looks like it will be an uniden . Would I need to pay to unlock some features or will it be fine out of the box ?
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

nordhavn wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 12:44 Thanks for the information, originally I was considering the aor till I read the reviews. Looks like it will be an uniden . Would I need to pay to unlock some features or will it be fine out of the box ?
It's a shame about the AOR, as I normally like their stuff. The AR1 is good, but the AR10 is a bit of a duffer with a drifty ref osc and a good selection of bugs.With a bit of a redesign it could be sorted, but recently AOR seem to have lost the plot re customer support.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nordhavn »

Ok ,
So I've narrowed it down to the 3600 that has NXDN and DMR activated or the sds100 which is an extra £65 to have them activated . Is the sds100 worth the extra £300 ?
jhampton2000

Post by jhampton2000 »

From what I understand from US colleagues the Uniden 436HP (US version of the 3600) and the SDS100 perform similarly.The exception is on Simulcast systems which is a US thing only, not used in the UK. There may be others on here who can give you a more direct comparison, but I would be recommending the 3600. Note there is a 3600 due out soon (already out?) that has NXDN already activated out of the box, as well as DMR: search for UBC-D3600XLT-NXDN. For £300 you'll be a long way towards getting a TRX1 as well as a 3600.
moj

Post by moj »

I completely agree with Jim's views that if you can get both then your laughing but remember that each have their good and bad points .

I had a sds100 and i personally didn't like it, yeah it looked nice and modern but a 3600 didn't seem much different when using the two together etc

The main thing i hated was it has its own rechargable pack and doesn't have the facility to use AA batterys like the 3600 and the trx-1 do so when a pack died you will have to expect to pay uniden money for a replacement .
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

I've gone off the boil as radio systems have dropped, one by one, off analogue. I think most of the local taxis are now cellular, the hospital has gone dead and the only thing I hear on VHF high band is a local plant nursery. It's now mainly airband and ham repeaters.

If I want to chase trunking then it's the 3600 but given the new covid-related job insecurity, I don't want to lay out cash on luxuries. I suppose SDR on my laptop is a compromise.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

I just got a 3600 and it is a really good scanner one of the best i've owned.
Whistler TRX-1
solarstorm
Regular
Regular

Post by solarstorm »

i Had saved up thinking of getting the uniden SDS200 except only the iPhone 13 went and came out and blew it on the 13 Pro instead lol.....
May possibly get it next year?