Android Walkie talkie app on 2.4ghz anyone tried it ?

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
PARSNIPHUNTER
Regular
Regular

Android Walkie talkie app on 2.4ghz anyone tried it ?

Post by PARSNIPHUNTER »

Just a thought but has anyone tried the walkie talkie amp on an android phone ? I think it would make a good app to run alongside 446 when you are up a hill and see how far you could be heard , give it as go
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Re: Android Walkie talkie app on 2.4ghz anyone tried it ?

Post by bigbloke »

are you talking about the peer to peer (I refuse to call it "mesh") WIFI based walkie talkie app that worked on the old samsungs like the galaxy S2 ?

I was given a demo in work back in around ooohh....2017-18ish ?

My then colleague who wanted to promote it, walked down the road , my boss stood next to me expectantly.

I keyed up and said "Tim, If you can hear me, raise your left hand" - my colleague did nothing.

I then lowered the phone , and shouted "TIM! IF YOU CAN HEAR ME RAISE YOUR LEFT HAND!" He raised his hand instantly

I handed the phone back to my boss and said "forget it!"

we never took it any further

Regards

BB
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I've never managed to get the bluetooth/wifi apps to work. The Army PRR uses 2.4GHz, I'm not sure if they have any repeater configurations. It's a shame the real ones are still so expensive.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I'm not really in to these Android apps. I'm an RF to RF guy It takes the purpose out of radio and the science behind it. You can do anything on the internet.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Werthers wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 18:04 I'm not really in to these Android apps. I'm an RF to RF guy It takes the purpose out of radio and the science behind it. You can do anything on the internet.
A man after my own heart. If it goes through the internet or an app of any sort I consider it as 'not radio'. It has to be under my own steam direct to the other end. I don't even like repeaters.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

The app I was berating above used peer-to-peer wifi with samsung galaxy S2s , no internet involved .

The app just provided a push to talk voice layer and set up the wifi so that all radios were on a common network.

Regards

BB
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

WiFi DXing is a thing, but realistically WiFi doesn't get far. The module in a phone might need a relay to get round the house to the base station. Many providers are promoting the fact they will provide one, so you should use them.
I have a well rated DXing unit looking out over my town from a good position. I can see things 300 meters away on my WiFi manager, but connecting is another story.
I'm going to ballpark the useful range at 150 meters. A system where all users act as a group to relay for any other user might be useful. Say you have 10 users spread over a square Km island. That's the island covered. However the batteries are doing some work.
It's really for bluetooth duties, but at a higher power level and data rate. Anything more meaningful and you want an aerial. Like the phones with ptt that can sit on 446.
The issue is packaging. A lot of development goes into a mobile phone. As a device, they really are amazing. Compact, tough, high data rates, yet cost little. It's a good place to start, as they can scale up with the addition of external gear. Gear which might be seen as the real radio. Them 10 guys might have one sat-link between them, but they can all use it. Just carrying a $50 android.

I wonder if security is in play. Where jamming is more line of sight, and digital offers more immunity by repeating bits.