Roger Bleeps - New for 2021

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
1968neil
Regular
Regular

Re: Roger Bleeps - New for 2021

Post by 1968neil »

Reading that made me smile, thankfully technology has moved on somewhat since the old days...
Choice is probably good then.
I've spent some time this morning having a think on this and i've decided to add the "Phantom Power" Circuit for the later radios and add a link on the PCB to allow the user to swap over to one or the other. I'm trying design one pcb that fits most set ups as from experience some, not all end users are not technically minded and may cause damage trying to rewire the mic sockets to their own set up.

The socket on the front would be a removable item, so simply swap the socket and plug in, does that sound ok to you ?
The volume control has been moved to a small potentiometer on the rear as this will most probably be set once and forgotten about.
I did think about doing a thru hole version with regular components as a kit, however i think this may create a lot of long term issues with errors in soldering and misplaced components.
So far it's based around a microprocessor doing all the heavy lifting so doesn't lend itself to manual assembly.

I have facilities for SMD pick and place so assembly time isn't an issue in this particular project.
There is are an awful lot of SMD parts in this design and to transfer to a self assembly set up would make a rather large box !

Currently i have an extruded aluminium enclosure which measures 110mm x 45mm x 82mm so quite small and very robust. This would also lend itself to mobile use in Trucks and the like.
The design also incorporates 24-12v operation with auto polarity detect and correct, it doesn't matter if its wired backwards it will still work just fine and the aluminium enclosure is isolated from the main circuits also.

[img]

i Haven't started the layout for the front or rear panels yet as i need to move some stuff around on the motherboard.
This will be CNC cut and Silkscreened at a later time.
I'm actually finding this quite a therapeutic and nostalgic process, i've put a hell of a lot of time into this so far (originally started it in Aug 2017) and i want to be sure i've covered as much as i can without making compromises.

As you probably are aware a lot of "Commercially made" kit is made to a price and is usually of very poor quality, it does the job but not properly.
I come from the old school of thinking " That will do wont do"

Do you think a random bleep facility is required ? or leave it as user selectable ?
73's
Neil
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

Random bleep, yes why not, as long as there's user selectable as well. Here's some nostalgia for you. 20 odd years ago there was the Maplin Voice Vandal kit, it did a good echo and (fake) dalek (chopper) voice. I modded mine a bit, did away with the chopper and replace it with a pitch shift robot voice chip and added a mixer for both, so you could have a little background echo or full blown reverb forever. The pitch shift could sound like the Goa'uld from Stargate SG1, or make a little girl sound like the jolly green giant, or a butch bloke sound like a chipmonk. And not forgeting the TX lock for unattended mayhem. I happened to work at a place with a label printer at the time too, so made use of that while I was there for a more professional look to it.

I know, pics or it didn't happen, well folks, fill ya boots.....

Image Image Image Image Image

:D :D
The perfect face for radio.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I had a Voice Vandal kit when they first came out. I assembled/soldered it all but couldn't get it working correctly, but you could send it in and someone would look over it, give you a price, fix it if you wished and then send it back all working. From memory I'd been heavy-handed fitting the controls on the front and had broken a knob's potentiometer insides. I got it back and then I think someone offered me good money for it or a radio swap, so it never got any use. Mine had a black front with white writing and the knobs were all black with just little coloured direction indicator lines on them in blue, white, yellow and green if I recall correctly. That must have been about 1984/5-ish I reckon???
1968neil
Regular
Regular

Post by 1968neil »

Haha, those where the days, anyone remember the bremi robot voice ?
Only ever saw the one, had it come in for repair back in the 80’s.
There seem to be very few new items for CB manufactured nowadays, I suppose there is no money in it for the big players.
We all loved gadgets 😉👍
PeterA
Call Sign: 26TM2714

Post by PeterA »

Wouldn't be complete without the Good, Bad & Ugly or Close Encounters as options! :shifty: :thumbup: :lol: 8)

In my opinion of course... ymmv. :shh:
WANTED
Galaxy Pluto, 2100, DX88HL, President Ronald (Or Equivalent)
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

You can have any bleep you like with this box, you just need the sound file and copy to bleep memory and ♫ wow wow wow wa wa ♬. I want one now, lol, pity there's only a few people on air to hear them, still, I'm sure they'll be impressed. Having a unique bleep was something special back in the day, though ham bleeps were always sought after (and copied). And of course the combinations of one after another but that was just showing off.
The perfect face for radio.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Any updates on this project and if there are any examples available for sale? Thanks
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I think that the success of these will come down to the price. Too many, switches, knobs, screens etc will only drive the price up accordingly and if it comes in an aluminium box rather than say an ABS plastic one, even more so.

Will there also need to be a little "talk-back" speaker fitted so you can hear the beep you've selected, rather than have to use say a handheld to monitor yourself. I suppose once you know which one sounds like what though, you wouldn't necessarily need to listen to it again ;)

Great, but gimicky, they'll posdibly only appeal to a certain number of non-beep-haters and sadly, they will most likely please the ch19 hoggers and dead-keyers types the most.

Saying all that though, fingers crossed they'll sell well, even if you only do a limited run.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

I think it has applications beyond a bleep. Maybe pre-record your DX call, or some pre-recorded foreign language greetings to pipe out at the end of a DX contact, or even a CW ident.... the possibilities are numerous :-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

MrWeetabix wrote: 20 May 2021, 14:00 I think it has applications beyond a bleep. Maybe pre-record your DX call, or some pre-recorded foreign language greetings to pipe out at the end of a DX contact, or even a CW ident.... the possibilities are numerous :-)
I used my 5-tone "Encounters"-sounding beep purely to call my mate up, rather than calling out his handle every 30 seconds etc as it was shorter and I'm very lazy so I just had to literally flick the PTT bar ;) So, if you could record your CQDX...blurb and just flick your mic' to play it, it'd be handy in a similar way.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

The Collector wrote: 20 May 2021, 15:30
MrWeetabix wrote: 20 May 2021, 14:00 I think it has applications beyond a bleep. Maybe pre-record your DX call, or some pre-recorded foreign language greetings to pipe out at the end of a DX contact, or even a CW ident.... the possibilities are numerous :-)
I used my 5-tone "Encounters"-sounding beep purely to call my mate up, rather than calling out his handle every 30 seconds etc as it was shorter and I'm very lazy so I just had to literally flick the PTT bar ;) So, if you could record your CQDX...blurb and just flick your mic' to play it, it'd be handy in a similar way.
exactly! then turn it off when someone answers! Its giving your standard CB radio high-end HF radio features.

but as mentioned above, will depend on the price of course ;-)

1968neil
Regular
Regular

Post by 1968neil »

Hi Folk's
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, have a very busy schedule with work at the moment.

The Ultrableep is certainly causing a stir ! My inbox has been full on a daily basis !!
Nice to see there is some interest in CB still.

The situation thus far...
I have replaced the push button select with a Rotary encoder with a press switch, ie: turn the control to scroll to your required tone and press to select.
This seems much cleaner and more tactile than constantly pressing a button.
The encoder is actually cheaper than the pot/switch arrangement, so this makes a sensible upgrade.
Unfortunately the encoders are on back order at the moment and i'm expecting delivery in the next week or so.

Firmware:
I have spent quite a bit of time on the basic firmware and results are very good, the user interface is sparse and useful rather than cluttered with useless information.
I've added an TX-RX status to the display and the number of "bleeps" on the USB stick are now read at boot up and displayed.
For those that want to personalise there "Ultrableep", maybe the HAM users that want callsign id's and the like..... i will be offering a Personalised version. The LCD will display your Call sign..... This is a FREE option.

Talkback :
I have thought about this and wasn't sure if the extra cost made it viable, however i could add a headphone socket on the rear ? headphone sockets are much cheaper than speakers (good quality ones that is.....).

Once i am happy and have tested to destruction ill be ready for the build (hopefully not too much longer).

Cost :

Aluminium enclosures are not the cheapest, however they are extremely strong and robust and i am all about quality, I personally believe there have been enough cheap nasty and some expensive and nasty products made for CB in the past 40 years ?
I have been in the electronics industry for over three decades and seen some technology that scares even me.
We throw too much away, i wanted to design something that someone will pick up in another 40 years and get some fun out of ??

I have spent a lot of my own time and money on this hobby in these years and had a lot of fun on the way and made some lifelong friends.
This project is my way of giving something back and doing what i do best. Once i have a production prototype i can then cost it properly.
As soon as i have a cost ill be sure to let you all know.
Hang in there......

Kind Regards, 73's
Neil
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

we look forward to your next progress update :-)

26AT110-Rod
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0VMV

Post by 26AT110-Rod »

are the monkey board bleeps any good, im sure i have one somewhere, bought it about 10 years ago but never got round to using it.
dj56
Regular
Regular

Post by dj56 »

Did the noise box ever get completed with some posted info?

thanks