What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? 2024

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
astradyne

Re: What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2021)

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 20:03
astradyne wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 17:28
The Collector wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 12:38 My new, old stock Cobra 148 GTL-DX I've bought has been posted, phew! I was getting worried as the seller kept messaging saying he was worried it might not work as it's been hidden away for 40 years. I thought someone might be trying to gazump me (he'd had loads of messages about it apparently before and especially after I hit the BIN button) and he was trying to put me off!
Ah, a soon to be new member of the NOS Cobra 148 GTL-DX club! :D

I hope it was favourably priced unlike some of the sheds on ebay. And I hope it's everything you expect it to be.

Post many pics when it arrives.

Well it was near enough double the most I'd ever spent before which was the Mk3 DX at about £130 imported, so this was gulp...£250!
Hopefully this will make you feel better about your outlay. And the P&P is just scandalous.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373633992844
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The bidder with 36 feedback's bidding looks a bit dodgy to me. Lots of little uplifting bids so early on.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

astradyne wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 17:28
The Collector wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 12:38 My new, old stock Cobra 148 GTL-DX I've bought has been posted, phew! I was getting worried as the seller kept messaging saying he was worried it might not work as it's been hidden away for 40 years. I thought someone might be trying to gazump me (he'd had loads of messages about it apparently before and especially after I hit the BIN button) and he was trying to put me off!

Post many pics when it arrives.

I'm going to video the unwrapping of the Cobra later to prove any issues found inside weren't mine or to show misding items etc. There wasn't that much in the way of protection around it, just sent inside a slightly bigger box by the looks of it. I'll post a few links to some pictures of it if all goes well at some point (got to remember my photosite password and how to do it!).

I MAY do a quick fire-up to make sure it turns on, TX's and RX's on a magmount to my FM handheld but that'll be it. If I do too much, I may have to class it as "used" if I resold it otherwise.
So...here's the dilemma/question: Would it be better to not fire it up and have it still "as new" but untested, or to test it to ensure it at least works somewhat but it technically lose its radio virginity??? Hmmmm...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Right...update time {bnghd}

Forget all of the above lol, it's a crock of **** lol.

There are 8 positions on the band switch!!!

It has a badly bent volume/squelch knob shaft

A red micro-switch has been added to the usual oval-ish hole in the back

It's stuck on UKFM! no matter what I try switch or knob-wise

Modes/bands/switches do bugger all

One of the poly' inserts is missing

The mic has tiny marks on the front (possibly from teeth) and the back from useage

The front panel has a few marks and 1 scratch near the channel selector . Most may clean off.

The chrome bezel has sticky gum marks, so does a patch near ch9 switch

There is no instruction manual.

The good news however is that the mic' holder and screws are unopened in their packet :lol:

Monsieur Astadyne, I'm going to have to formally tender my resignation from the NOS COBRA 148 GTL-DX Club... sob sob :oops:
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The Collector wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 15:56 Monsieur Astadyne, I'm going to have to formally tender my resignation from the NOS COBRA 148 GTL-DX Club... sob sob :oops:
Well . So much for that Dave. That's ruined my weekend that has .
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I'm not too bothered as he's offered me a full refund and an apology...annoying though. Now if it had been a NOS Fidelity 1000, I'd be livid ;)

As I type, he's asking about a partial refund, so we'll see what he says. If it's a reasonable amount it'll be worth keeping. I can first try and carefully straighten the volume knob shaft, try to suss out why it's stuck on UKFM and then send it to Nick if I fail (I most likely will lol) or if I think it'd be best put back to how it should be.

It's a bit expensive just to use as a UKFM rig ;)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 16:46 I'm not too bothered as he's offered me a full refund and an apology...annoying though. Now if it had been a NOS Fidelity 1000, I'd be livid ;)

As I type, he's asking about a partial refund, so we'll see what he says. If it's a reasonable amount it'll be worth keeping. I can first try and carefully straighten the volume knob shaft, try to suss out why it's stuck on UKFM and then send it to Nick if I fail (I most likely will lol) or if I think it'd be best put back to how it should be.

It's a bit expensive just to use as a UKFM rig ;)
Does it have a serial number plate riveted to the back?

Is the CW key sticker cut in half with the word "key" missing?

It's just the way you describe it makes it sound more like a stealth 360FM. Try putting a shorted out jack plug into the CW key socket and see if all the bands, modes and functions return.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It's funny you've said that Mr. Astradyne, so good thinking....

As I watched back my unboxing video last night to make a few notes regarding any partial refund offers and before I saw your above comments, I hadn't noticed when I turned over the radio that my fingers were wrapped around the back panel. Just about noticeable when paused, was the very edge of an added jack plug socket that's been fitted into the left hand ovalled hole! I went and checked and lo and behold, there it is. I think I was so peeved at the red switch being there that I didn't feel it under my fingers as I swung it round. I still didn't notice it as I plugged the power cable in either. What a wally :crazy:

I realised that as I've got a stealth-plated 360FM, that it may well act the same so I looked carefully around the box and found a tiny 2mm jack plug embedded deep into the polystyrene that hadn't fallen out when opening the box up. I'm hoping that once this is plugged it, it'll take it back into "export mode" as I couldn't figure out how to get it off UKFM at the time and none of the top switches seemed to work either. If that's the case, it'll mean it's got it's normal modes plus possibly a few extra blocks too if the 8 position switch is anything to go by.

I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me about it being advertised as new, old stock and if I end up keeping it, I'll have a further mooch and report back. I'll add some pic's then too if I do.

It's still annoying though as I got my hopes up. It'd been viewed 20 times within minutes of going on ebay according to the ebay page info, so most of those viewers have had a lucky escape if that's what they expected too. :cry:
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The Collector wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 10:03 It's funny you've said that Mr. Astradyne, so good thinking....
As Andy said Dave . Does it have a Cobra s/n plate on the back ?

Paul
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

cb4ever104 wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 10:21
The Collector wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 10:03 It's funny you've said that Mr. Astradyne, so good thinking....
As Andy said Dave . Does it have a Cobra s/n plate on the back ?

Paul
There have been a few Cobra's on ebay with dodgy looking faceplates. Some more convincing than others. As soon as you take the cases off it'll be obvious as to whether it's a 360FM stealth.

Whichever it is it's obviously been mis-sold as being NOS so everything will work out your way should you decide to return it. From the £250 you paid for it he'd need to be offering £100 back at the very minimum.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The serial number on the box and radio match and the plate/rivets are all good, so there's no issue with that side of things thanks ;)

I'm getting a £75 refund so I'm happy with that as hopefully when the plug is in place, it'll return to "normal". It'll make it half the price of the other boxed one that's selling on ebay.

I looked more at the marks and apart from one little hairline scratch near the channel selector, the panel's pretty much mint, as will be the bezel once a bit of adhesive remover is used on them both. The cases are mint, so is the bracket and thumb-screws.

I'll be able to polish out nearly all of the marks on the mic'

I'll suss out what the red switch is for once the refund's sorted and the radio's mine as I don't want to go messing too much before then. If it's removed, it'll leave a few little marks anyway as it looks like someone tightened it with pliers and left a little fine crescent-shaped scratch above it.
If the UK40 could be accessed via one of the 8 positions on the band switch, that'd be tidier, but that'd also be beyond my expertise (as in I have none), plus I'm intrigued to know what frequencies this thing actually covers??? I'll have to take the covers off and see what's lurking underneath board-wise too.

:?: Has anyone got a spare back-end polystyrene insert or instruction manual they want to sell or swap for something??? I know you can get a copied manual off ebay for a fiver, but I'd like originality if possible on this thing.
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

The Collector wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 15:56 Right...update time {bnghd}

Forget all of the above lol, it's a crock of **** lol.

There are 8 positions on the band switch!!!

It has a badly bent volume/squelch knob shaft

A red micro-switch has been added to the usual oval-ish hole in the back

It's stuck on UKFM! no matter what I try switch or knob-wise

Modes/bands/switches do bugger all

One of the poly' inserts is missing

The mic has tiny marks on the front (possibly from teeth) and the back from useage

The front panel has a few marks and 1 scratch near the channel selector . Most may clean off.

The chrome bezel has sticky gum marks, so does a patch near ch9 switch

There is no instruction manual.

The good news however is that the mic' holder and screws are unopened in their packet :lol:

Monsieur Astadyne, I'm going to have to formally tender my resignation from the NOS COBRA 148 GTL-DX Club... sob sob :oops:
I may have a manual for this, but I think it's a older photocopy version with a fake leather look jacket/cover and plastic Comb to hold it all together
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

That sounds...er...unusual Dave lol, but the plastic comb may have some of the owners nits in it! :lol: ;)

I'll keep an eye out but I'd imagine that an original manual would sell for silly money, so I may just have to go down the copied route at some point. I've got the manual downloaded, but it's not the best quality plus we don't have a working printer.
The missing polystyrene piece is annoying too, although I've got a few "boxed" radios that've had the inserts chucked away.

Cheers mate.
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

Checked for bits.

Hahaha

Might be some there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

Free Manual ;)

@+
Claude
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Photo Collector CB RADIO