Using 75ohm coax within an antenna set up

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Cousinjack

Re: Using 75ohm coax within an antenna set up

Post by Cousinjack »

The Collector wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 15:09 Seeing as you've got the co-ax already running through the wall, can't you securely tape some 50ohm stuff to it and use the existing 75ohm stuff to pull the 50ohm through the cavity? It could be problem solved if it can be done, so long as you haven't cemented over or trapped the 75ohm co-ax in place somewhere.
I can tell you’re a logical problem solver 😁😁👍

I can remember installing the coax and pretty sure it feeds through a network of holes in the stud walls before making its way up to the loft !

Imagine how much trouble I’d be in if I “lost” the cable part way through the pull 😳😬

Great idea though 😊
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Amp will make a difference and likely give you what you need. Ultimately the A99 will bring a big difference to your base unit ability tx rx over the Springer. The amp will serve in such case now in either set up mobile or base.

A99 I find work better insulated from its mounting pole. Dielectric grease added to section couplings, loads of amalgamation tape couplings and glue joints.

You may not even need to get the antron up as high as Springer if in fact it is up high.however as we know height is so important but found testing a couple imax and antrons their ok 10 to 15' up too.
Good luck
Cousinjack

Post by Cousinjack »

original45 wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 11:33 Amp will make a difference and likely give you what you need. Ultimately the A99 will bring a big difference to your base unit ability tx rx over the Springer. The amp will serve in such case now in either set up mobile or base.

A99 I find work better insulated from its mounting pole. Dielectric grease added to section couplings, loads of amalgamation tape couplings and glue joints.

You may not even need to get the antron up as high as Springer if in fact it is up high.however as we know height is so important but found testing a couple imax and antrons their ok 10 to 15' up too.
Good luck
Sorry, I wasn’t clear before... currently running a silver rod on the Homebase...

Springer is on the car ! But considering changing to a firestik to gain a bit more rx ...

😁😁
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Silver rod likely better than a99. Especially if 5/8 version.
So I guess use your amp.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Chuck the Springer (stamp on it too if it's the crappy 3ft version as they're pants) and get a 6ft-plus Sirio if you can ;)
If it's a 5ft version and you're into greenlaning stuff, then I can understand the need for a bouncy, okay-ish aerial.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

The Collector wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 18:12 Chuck the Springer (stamp on it too if it's the crappy 3ft version as they're pants) and get a 6ft-plus Sirio if you can ;)
If it's a 5ft version and you're into greenlaning stuff, then I can understand the need for a bouncy, okay-ish aerial.
And this :clap:
Cousinjack

Post by Cousinjack »

The Collector wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 18:12 Chuck the Springer (stamp on it too if it's the crappy 3ft version as they're pants) and get a 6ft-plus Sirio if you can ;)
The car currently has a 5 ft springer.

Got a load of the 3ft springers on all our tractors as they are pretty much the only antenna I’ve found that will stick our drivers !!! 😳

However, since doing a bit of research into the effectiveness of these, I’ve got myself a few different whips to try out on my main tractor.

A 4ft fire stick, which ought to stand up to a fair beating 🙈

And a 6ft thunder pole Red Devil, which should get excellent coverage but I am sure to wreck it 🤦‍♂️

During the long lonely hours out driving, I was wondering about the feasibility of making a “quick retract” antenna mount. : something like a scaffold tube bolted to the side of the tractor, with a small hyd ram inside that can push or retract any fragile whip either up or down depending on the conditions ??🤔.

Perhaps one for another thread 🧐?