What's the most "modified" CB radio?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

What's the most "modified" CB radio?

Post by Ashtec »

I fined myself thinking some time's about what's the most modified typical CB radio is.

The first Cb radio that came to mined is the Cobra 148 with the diode mods then there's the Cybernet radio's with bad audio.

But then I thought about how many radio's that have been dedicated to PLL mod's or xtal mod's.
How many radios have you seen that have four or five switches sticking out the back or the case side's or to top of the case's and some replacing normal front panel switches that pick up two or three channels here and there :roll: :roll: :roll: President madison's and stalker xx's spring to mind :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No one has any idea of where they'll be frequency wise when they flip around on the switches

I've seen Cb radio's with the final's wired straight to Vcc to get more power on FM and the list go's on.

What would members of TM1 say are the top 5 most moded 11 meter radio's they seen or worked on or had.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Re: What's the most "modified" CB radio?

Post by RadioPixie »

That's a interesting question. Talking from experience in the past, and not necessarily in this order:

*80ch LC7137/7132 conversions
*Cobra148/SS360 mk2 diode matrix with expanded band switch/roger bleep/+10kc
*Cybernet SSB FM mod mod/extra band crystals/UK40 eprom
*Amstrad 901/Harvard Homebase RF power mod
*FM board added to AM rigs when Mid/CEPT band was legalised in the UK
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

The sheer number of "five band" Cobra 148 GTL DX's must put that radio high on the list. It's often quite difficult to find an unmolested 120 Ch version these days ! 10k shifts and stuff on all manner of 'em.
Ugs
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

UGLY_BOB wrote:The sheer number of "five band" Cobra 148 GTL DX's must put that radio high on the list. It's often quite difficult to find an unmolested 120 Ch version these days ! 10k shifts and stuff on all manner of 'em.
Ugs
send ashtec out of the country for a year or to as he gets them and goes radio mental on them,total living legend <jentec> our ashtec.thats enough bigging him up do i qualify for a 148 modded to death :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
George EI7KO
Call Sign: EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

But the real question here is are these mods really worth it?? It's ok slapping in another couple of bands to a rig but at the detriment of making it deaf seems a hardly worhwhile pursuit to me. Ok fine on variable power and 10kc jump switches and LEDs in the meters and so on. I find myself now undoing a lot of these 'mods' on my own rigs. For example the 747 I got there last Sunday needs the 'unlocked' clarifier taken out as it was done arseways. So I beg the question. Is a mod only a mod if it's useful????
M1JWR

Post by M1JWR »

29gd01 wrote:But the real question here is are these mods really worth it?? It's ok slapping in another couple of bands to a rig but at the detriment of making it deaf seems a hardly worhwhile pursuit to me. Ok fine on variable power and 10kc jump switches and LEDs in the meters and so on. I find myself now undoing a lot of these 'mods' on my own rigs. For example the 747 I got there last Sunday needs the 'unlocked' clarifier taken out as it was done arseways. So I beg the question. Is a mod only a mod if it's useful????
Is that mod only 3 kc's one way to get ukfm, if so a resistor has been cut, cant remember which one but its near the front, thats about it, the other way was much more complicated, there is a thread on here about it on the dodgy 320fm, as i experimented with it before i made it totally different.
one strange thing i did find there was a coil put on the piggy back board amongst other things and if i used one of the wrong value i would affect how much swing it had, one gave it upto 20 kc's, either way
The 320fm was on the way out anyway, so i thought nothing ventured nothing gained
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

I confidently predict that when you all see my Murphtek conversion that the Murfee will suddenly become the most modded rig!
Last edited by Farty on 26 Nov 2011, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
George EI7KO
Call Sign: EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

M1JWR wrote:
29gd01 wrote:But the real question here is are these mods really worth it?? It's ok slapping in another couple of bands to a rig but at the detriment of making it deaf seems a hardly worhwhile pursuit to me. Ok fine on variable power and 10kc jump switches and LEDs in the meters and so on. I find myself now undoing a lot of these 'mods' on my own rigs. For example the 747 I got there last Sunday needs the 'unlocked' clarifier taken out as it was done arseways. So I beg the question. Is a mod only a mod if it's useful????
Is that mod only 3 kc's one way to get ukfm, if so a resistor has been cut, cant remember which one but its near the front, thats about it, the other way was much more complicated, there is a thread on here about it on the dodgy 320fm, as i experimented with it before i made it totally different.
one strange thing i did find there was a coil put on the piggy back board amongst other things and if i used one of the wrong value i would affect how much swing it had, one gave it upto 20 kc's, either way
The 320fm was on the way out anyway, so i thought nothing ventured nothing gained

No the transmit and receive are about 1.5kc's apart, and no matter how much fiddling i done i could not get them to line up at all
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Yes sometimes mods are necessary. Rigs are built for a price and for the general consumer market. Also ways of operating change so rigs have to change with it, unless you are happy with 40 fixed channels. Making a rig with a roger bleep that isn't swichable from the factory has a lack of foresight (both Uniden and Cybernet were guilty of that one in the past). Making a rig with the most crudest of FM modulation, ie varicap driven by a AM circuit like in the Cybernet AM/FM & SSB rigs is the sure sign that manufacturers don't give a damn apart from profit. If op's want to use a black hole like 27.545 then a 10 shift has to be added. If op's need to use the "zeros" then the a 5kc shift of some description has to be added. It's just the nature of the freebanding beast. Someone has one and then some one else has to have one. As soon as a new radio is announced, what is the first questions people ask? Can it do export and can the power be upped. We are our own worse enemies :lol:

If the mod is done to a proper standard why not :?: :!: Even gear from the big boys "Y-I-K" have mods and further upgrades.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
Clapdoctor
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 515

Post by Clapdoctor »

The am USA Cybernet PLL 02A 2 crystal loop chassis radios because they are very easily modified for 26.435- 27.705 meh with 2 toggle switches.
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

Clapdoctor wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 19:28 The am USA Cybernet PLL 02A 2 crystal loop chassis radios because they are very easily modified for 26.435- 27.705 meh with 2 toggle switches.
10 year old thread and a reply that makes the mind boggle.!
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I'd personally say that the Fidelity 1000 has been the most "modified" CB radio of all time. Most people have chucked them away because they're crap, they've been crushed, melted down and then turned into something that's actually useful like a fridge ;)
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

Any cb in the USA that you can do a swing mod npc mod & stupid blue leds beats anything over here.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I gave up modding stuff a few years back. Anyway, after creating a purple Amstrad 901 with noise squelch, the 80ch mod and a built-in Vu meter with an extra row of LED's, I couldn't think of anything more crazy to create anyway! ;)
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

The Collector wrote: 02 May 2021, 13:22 I gave up modding stuff a few years back. Anyway, after creating a purple Amstrad 901 with noise squelch, the 80ch mod and a built-in Vu meter with an extra row of LED's, I couldn't think of anything more crazy to create anyway! ;)
You could add SSB to it with a Maurer module, then use another Maurer mod to give it lo, mid, hi, +10kc +5kc and UK. And instead of just making it purple, you could make it multi-coloured.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1