Concorde 2 pictures - unmodded?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
GDog
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: RedWold

Concorde 2 pictures - unmodded?

Post by GDog »

Hi all. For reference for anyone else, I have what looks to be an unmodded Concorde 2. Please if you see anything unusual let me know.

73's

https://ibb.co/ZVstLrW

https://ibb.co/wM5d9sH
Alan Pilot

Re: Concorde 2 pictures - unmodded?

Post by Alan Pilot »

Looks straight enough to me.
Bottom side of the channel select looks like an iron has reflowed some points but that is all i can see well i think i see lol.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

My Concorde II

Your Concorde 2

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Thanks Claude for posting both sets of images. I was struggling with img tag and copy and paste on my mobile phone :)

Thanks Alan for checking the board. I also noticed that, I find the channel selector a little bit dull rather than a nice click. Its probably had lots of use.

Is it worth doing anything to the radio such as FM audio mod or would that affect the value of the radio?

Ive ordered some plastic polish from amazon and started to sand down the top and bottom covers ready for a lick of paint. Im considering powder coating but the place local to me has a waiting list of about 4 weeks.

Back to value, what is a good example worth? I fear I may have payed with my heart rather than my head on this radio.

Thanks again !
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

There are two items that in my opinion need attention.
The 1st is the board at the back by the antenna socket it could short against the chassis.
The 2nd is a decoupling capacitor going to chassis on the lefthand side of the pcb track side.
Its hard to tell but it does look damaged and just above there is a part of the pcb that is blackened suggesting something has been getting hot,
Which could indicate that capacitor has gone leaky and is causing a short to chassis.
If you look at the second lot of pictures you can see the difference.

Anyway I just thought I would mention it as The Concorde is a lovely radio but they are getting a bit long in the tooth and components can fail.
:thumbsup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Thanks DX Digger. You are right i can see a capacitor which looks to be damaged. I think it needs to be looked over by a rig doctor and possibly a re-cap.

I was hoping to find a knowledgeable rig doc but whenever I email one they never reply! I always assume they are too busy and have enough work already.

It is on frequency and seems to be working ok. If it aint broke dont fix it !
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Could anyone tell me the size of thumbscrews? ALAS no bracket. Will need to get an adjustable one from fleabay.
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Just to update.
Used Novus plastic polish on the fascia and knobs. Looks better. At first I thought it was plastic that was polishing off, the cloth looked dirty despite soap and water treatment.i suspect it was oily hands from a ford cortina mk2 owner 40 years ago :D
I could lf gone a whole day on the polish but a few hours made such a difference and took away the clouding.

https://ibb.co/8Kvz1C2

Rig Doc got back in touch and as I understand he is certainly well recommended so looking forwards to getting her right.

Whoever sprayed the case didnt remove the speaker it had stripes of paint on it, a shot of silicon spray seems to have softened it up a bit.

Now the only only issue I have is my Cobra M75 power mic. Third M75 purchase. Last two modded sounded much better but this one has surface mounted components.
On examination looks the same circuit but the Mod has made it quieter! Ah .... nevermind.