Eurosonic ES200LCD newbie question

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Shaun_C
Regular
Regular

Eurosonic ES200LCD newbie question

Post by Shaun_C »

Hello everyone,

I am new to CB radio and recently purchased a mint condition Eurosonic ES200LCD. It did not come with a charger and power lead so I was going to use it with either 10x1.2v rechargeable AA's (with seperate charger) or 8x1.5v alkaline AA's (with 2 dummy batteries).

If anyone who knows or has one could suggest a suitable charger and power lead I would appreciate it as I didnt want to get the wrong kind of power etc and harm the radio. I can post pics of the box/manual if it helps?

Other than that I am planning to get a better antenna and a 2 pin microphone/speaker for now. :D

Thanks in advance :)
rpcomms

Re: Eurosonic ES200LCD newbie question

Post by rpcomms »

Hi Shaun,
as most battery technology has moved on a little, my suggestion is NOT to use the charge port unless using the specific older type rechargeable batteries ,as the internal charging circuits are NOT gear up for modern day Lithium, Zinc etc rechargeable chemicals.

so what i do with my cb handhelds is uses a external modern charger and high grade Amp\hour cells current cells ,faster charging.
and dont bother using the charge jack on the HT as prob designed for Ni-Cad older batteries of its time era.

Just Google search box "10 XAA battery charger" for 1.2V cells you will find a few types.

I use rechargeable ZN-Ion 1.55Volt cells, so only use 8 cells and dummies
work well, just google it.

Good Luck, have fun.

Rob P
Shaun_C
Regular
Regular

Post by Shaun_C »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I will do as you advise, I have some dummy batteries on order to use and rechargeable AA's with a AA/AAA battery charger. So no need to charge in the handset.

Would a 12v car power lead still be okay to use or would it also be a risk? If so will any 12v to dc do? I think the power socket is 2.1mm btw.
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

I own this radio and can say that I agree with the above comment in finding a modern battery charger as nicads in your handheld would take 14 hours to charge up.
Get a flex 27 antenna which would help signals alot
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
ChubbyChops
Call Sign: 26TM773

Post by ChubbyChops »

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

I use a couple battery types, vapextech 2900 mah nihm full. or 9 varta high energy AA and 1 dummy .
Agree with the upgraded antenna and was unaware of the zn lion AA ,these look great.
I had some great reports from high ground with the eurosonis es 200 years back ,upgraded to lcd version few years back and recently bought a intek h520 .
The intek has a awesome receive indeed compared to my eurosonics.
However hasn't as higher output of battery life.
Found a fist Mic beneficial too with 200.
Shaun_C
Regular
Regular

Post by Shaun_C »

Thanks for the replies and advice. I have been using rechargeable AA's with an 8 bay AA charger so far and have had good results with the Eurosonic just using the basic antenna. I am considering getting a better antenna such as the albercht you suggested.

Any idea what kind of external microphone speaker would work? Would any 2 pin do or would it have to be more specific? I know the Maxon ca-1420 works with it (youtube) but they are quite hard to find it seems in the UK and expensive.
ChubbyChops
Call Sign: 26TM773

Post by ChubbyChops »

I use an Icom mic on mine.
I believe it's what's referred to as "standard" mic wiring.