Baofeng UV-6r

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Smoker420
New User
New User

Baofeng UV-6r

Post by Smoker420 »

Hi there I m new to all this and have a question I just can’t seem to find answers to so thought I would ask here.
I have a baofeng UV-6r and did have some frequencies tuned in but I some how deleted them yesterday not sure how. I have been scanning for frequencies all day and night and don’t seem to get anything but static. Does my one know how I get working frequencies so I can listen. I did have my local hospital last night but now can’t find them
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Baofeng UV-6r

Post by Werthers »

Smoker420 wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 21:40 Hi there I m new to all this and have a question I just can’t seem to find answers to so thought I would ask here.
I have a baofeng UV-6r and did have some frequencies tuned in but I some how deleted them yesterday not sure how. I have been scanning for frequencies all day and night and don’t seem to get anything but static. Does my one know how I get working frequencies so I can listen. I did have my local hospital last night but now can’t find them
Unfortunately everything has gone digital now on V/UHF FM You may hear some 2 meter chatter 144 - 146 MHz or some chatter on 70cms 430 - 440 MHz but its not very active. I also find that the RX is poor on Beofung radios compared to other radios, they work best with a RH 771 Diamond antenna.
Smoker420
New User
New User

Post by Smoker420 »

Thank you for the reply. So if every one has one digital how was I able to hear my local hospital?
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Not everything is digital, plenty of activity on the bands, there's just additional amateur bands which are digital.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Smoker420
New User
New User

Post by Smoker420 »

Oh ok sorry if I am sounding a bit dumb but as stated before I am a newbie and know pretty much nothing. Lol I wanna get into it and have managed this morning to find my local port talking to a ship/boat so that’s made for interesting listening. I need to work out frequencies and how to store them so I can just go straight to the channel and listen without having to scan all the time
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Werthers wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 00:26
Unfortunately everything has gone digital now on V/UHF FM You may hear some 2 meter chatter 144 - 146 MHz or some chatter on 70cms 430 - 440 MHz but its not very active. I also find that the RX is poor on Beofung radios compared to other radios, they work best with a RH 771 Diamond antenna.
oh my god, again i hope you're not licenced..
Baofengs receive just as well as any other radio, sometimes better.
they 'work best' on their stock antenna, or a proper dedicated band antenna,
most diamond and nagoya antennas on ebay and such like are just fake and chinese built junk..

get yourself a few more V/UHF radios by Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom and such, get a spectrum analyser and some decent test equipment and try doing some test's,
come back let me know what you find.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

bigpimp347 wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 09:53
most diamond and nagoya antennas on ebay and such like are just fake and chinese built junk..

get yourself a few more V/UHF radios by Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom and such, get a spectrum analyser and some decent test equipment and try doing some test's,
Ok mate ;)
Smoker420
New User
New User

Post by Smoker420 »

@ weathers thanks for the info and at the moment I have managed to find my local ports channel for the docks and some times the chat is crystal clear other times it’s hard to understand what is being said. I clearly have a lot to learn. I am not a liscened user at moment but don’t wanna pay for the test for my hams radio if I not get on with it. I have searched high and low for info and how to set up the equipment. As well as the baofeng handheld I have a Motorola GM350 Mobil radio for my van. Or work purposes as I find I work in a lot of areas where phone signal is crap
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Smoker420 wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 06:45 @ weathers thanks for the info and at the moment I have managed to find my local ports channel for the docks and some times the chat is crystal clear other times it’s hard to understand what is being said. I clearly have a lot to learn. I am not a liscened user at moment but don’t wanna pay for the test for my hams radio if I not get on with it. I have searched high and low for info and how to set up the equipment. As well as the baofeng handheld I have a Motorola GM350 Mobil radio for my van. Or work purposes as I find I work in a lot of areas where phone signal is crap
Your welcome.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

bigpimp347 wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 09:53

The RH 771 Diamond antenna dose work better than the stock antenna from range tests I have done with some improvement on RX as well.

Is it the best antenna? No.

Dose it work better than the stock antenna? Yes

As for the squelch even when set to to a low level RX is poor compared to other top branded radios. Did the tests years ago.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Werthers wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 20:00
The RH 771 Diamond antenna dose work better than the stock antenna from range tests I have done with some improvement on RX as well.

As for the squelch even when set to to a low level RX is poor compared to other top branded radios. Did the tests years ago.
Does it's Does, sorry but it's simple..

Any how grammar lesson out the way.
i've always found the stock antenna is fine, with the diamond/nagoya what ever they are 771 they seems to RX slightly better being bigger but TX wasn't as good.
and again, try one on an analyser they're not that great..

at least the stock antenna is designed and works..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

:thumbup:
bigpimp347 wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 21:24
Werthers wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 20:00

Does it's Does, sorry but it's simple..

Any how grammar lesson out the way.
i've always found the stock antenna is fine, with the diamond/nagoya what ever they are 771 they seems to RX slightly better being bigger but TX wasn't as good.
and again, try one on an analyser they're not that great..

at least the stock antenna is designed and works..