Repeater Pirates

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Repeater Pirates

Post by Ant »

Are there any regulars on repeaters on TM1?

I have my radio plugged in scanning through the repeaters and there are two repeaters which appear to have been infiltrated by pirates, using robot voices, playing music and burping! :roll:
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
SgtBilko302
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 108ct302

Re: Repeater Pirates

Post by SgtBilko302 »

We had a similar problem up here with the GB3CS repeater at Kilsyth North Glasgow. It was a very busy repeater which i could hear / access being some 50+ miles away. Then some nutters got a hold of some radio equipment and started the abuse, mic keying and music. This went on for quite some time before the repeater keeper was told to shut it down. It was quiet for a while until a new site was found for it. Now it has popped back up in Motherwell. A bit closer to me but not as easy to access. You will always get the clowns / pirates who try and disrupt and abuse the good operators just to get a rise out of them.

Paul.
Ant

Post by Ant »

GB3AU had an interesting pirate on it most of the night last night. Quite the professional pirate.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Skanking333
Banned
Banned

Re: Repeater Piratesx

Post by Skanking333 »

Gb3yw had an idiot playing, however was it someone within the fold, as word had it plans where afoot and its stopped, who know something???
Skanking333
Banned
Banned

Post by Skanking333 »

Get of your arses and get out and find them,
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Some regular IQ-0's on GB3MP
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

Oooh ooh, do tell..

it's been going on since the 1970's
it won't stop now, just get worse with all the braindeads getting cornflake packet licences and digital repeaters popping up everywhere..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Cornflake packet licences? Good grief, you miserable bugger. A licence is a licence. I very much doubt the pirate would be someone with a licence.

Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Miserable bugger that's polite.
Skanking333
Banned
Banned

Post by Skanking333 »

Cornflake box licenses eh , idiot
Skanking333
Banned
Banned

Post by Skanking333 »

If you don’t get out and do something about abuse the you deserve to be abused
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Skanking333 wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 17:18 If you don’t get out and do something about abuse the you deserve to be abused
I don't think that's how it works.....
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

MrWeetabix wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 19:00
Skanking333 wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 17:18 If you don’t get out and do something about abuse the you deserve to be abused
I don't think that's how it works.....

it does..
if your repeater is getting abuse, get off your arse and do something about it..
Ofcom won't though so you'll all be p1ssing int he wind..

as for cornflake packet licence, yup, i don't care, the foundation is the scum of the earth licence,
more so after a holder has held it 15 years or more and runs 100w on HF, or it's just dim wit CBers who pass so they can sit on 19 with their HF rigs talking about it.

don't get me wrong, it's not the licencee's in the licence..

as for pirates being unlicenced...erm, think again, most are licenced, they just have a grudge against Ofcom the the aRSeGB book club.
the way the hobby has gone from being a professional hobby to a nothing more than glorified CB hobby where you don't even need a radio to talk to anyone.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Ant

Post by Ant »

bigpimp347 wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 19:53 the hobby has gone from being a professional hobby to a nothing more than glorified CB hobby where you don't even need a radio to talk to anyone.
It's not a professional hobby, it'a a hobby, not a profession.

Oh and from reading your posts, I think we've found who's behind this page https://www.facebook.com/droptheFL

;)

paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Radio hams are supposed to have the skill set to be able to track down these people. Most of the old OFCOM regional officers were hams, so if a repeater gets abused, then the local hams are perfectly capable of building up evidence of who, where when and how, and can hand the package to the Police perfectly safely, and the Police when presented with solid evidence are always happy to add a case closed to the figures. They don’t have time or manpower to investigate but hams can do this. The politics of ham radio has always confused me and I genuinely never understood why the RSGB got such negative treatment.like any national large society, they have problems and can’t represent everyone, but I never understood why instead of just not joining, or leaving of you were a dissatisfied member, people work to undermine them? There hasn’t ever been an alternative, so why fight them? Governments have always preferred working with large organisations when making decisions, never individuals. I hated some of their policies twenty years ago, so I left. I’ve just been doing a project and found some information difficult to get, so I have rejoined. As a member I have access to information a non-member doesn’t. If they don’t align with my current views, which I can’t know until I join, I’ll leave next year. I don’t see any issues with this approach.

Ham radio has always been in the control of hams. Nowadays, they seem a bit wimpy and happy to type but reluctant to get off their bums and do something, just constantly moan about things.

Access to ham radio is now the cheapest and easiest it’s ever been and you get access to everything with little underpinning knowledge. And STILL people complain?