Radio is dead.

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
stinkybob
Regular
Regular

Radio is dead.

Post by stinkybob »

That's about all I can say on the matter. Actual ham radio, as in 70cm and 2m on analogue, is dead. There is literally nobody on the air apart from the occasional couple of vaccinated old farts that only haunt the airwaves once in a blue moon to moan and bitch to each other about things nobody cares about. I have not had an actual interesting conversation on ham radio for months and every day it's more dead than the day before. There is no point in getting a license if there is literally nobody else to speak with. What a waste of effort. Ham radio sucks and it looks like it will never get any better. Seems like the last few hammies that were left all went over to DMR or are playing with their computer dongles and other such toys and that's not radio. Radio was something APART from the internet and the telephone networks. It had a use "just in case" if everything else went down. Now it's just a graveyard like terrestrial TV and analogue phones. Pointless bloody expense.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Radio is dead.

Post by ch25 »

HF is very crowded.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

If you're anywhere near Torbay, CB is good here.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Time to sell up then is it ???.
What radio is it you have.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Maybe sell VHF rig, try HF. 10W at home can be a struggle this is a fact. However we can advise, there will be plenty of people to talk to if you can put effort in. Give us your details... QRM at home ? Licence level? Space restrictions etc. ? What is your spare cash situation / budget ?

It is good the the old men were vaccinated.
The trick is time, effort and a bit of money.

Tell us what your radio needs are and your radio dream situation is, then we can help if you are willing to listen and be flexible. If not maybe it is not for you. Amateur radio is very easy if you can be bothered going the extra mile.

What do you want to achieve? With enough patience and effort you can do pretty much anything with 10W radiated.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

Pro Tip: stay away from VHF/UHF repeaters if you value your sanity.
Are you able to try mobile/portable HF, or have you already done so? I know small HF sets aren't cheap, but you only need one (despite what the addicts say). Also, what are your attitudes to DIY? You can make HF antennas/groundplanes, there's no need to spend loads of money on big name gear.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Transwarp
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

stinkybob wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 19:46 That's about all I can say on the matter. Actual ham radio, as in 70cm and 2m on analogue, is dead. There is literally nobody on the air apart from the occasional couple of vaccinated old farts that only haunt the airwaves once in a blue moon to moan and bitch to each other about things nobody cares about. I have not had an actual interesting conversation on ham radio for months and every day it's more dead than the day before. There is no point in getting a license if there is literally nobody else to speak with. What a waste of effort. Ham radio sucks and it looks like it will never get any better. Seems like the last few hammies that were left all went over to DMR or are playing with their computer dongles and other such toys and that's not radio. Radio was something APART from the internet and the telephone networks. It had a use "just in case" if everything else went down. Now it's just a graveyard like terrestrial TV and analogue phones. Pointless bloody expense.
How do you know the 'old farts' are jabbed? You an unvaccinated young buck then? Having a better attitude toward others as a starting point might help you in the hobby, if not then maybe you'd be better off with CB and freebanding.
2nd place runner up of 'In before the lockdown festive party edition' 2021 :thumbup:
mastercare
Call Sign: g4sbx

Post by mastercare »

AS SAID hf bands are alive and getting better and better as the new sunspot starts to show its arrival....regards vhf uhf its fairly quite down here in Somerset. our local repeater is busy off and on WR but thats the beauty of the hobby...give it a rest an come back when you ready...i have found especially useful during covid and lockdown...kept my sanity going...
thanks
all
paul
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Plenty of activity over here in the UK. I'm assuming that you're American, due to the American spelling 'license' and the American slang term 'sucks'.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling