70cms simplex alive and well it would seem

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

70cms simplex alive and well it would seem

Post by Werthers »

I've just put up a new high gain 70cms antenna and heard some stations on simplex I almost choked on my tea hearing all that activity, apparently 70cms simplex has been active for a few days now. That is brilliant to hear. I was under the impression that 70cms simplex activity had died long ago.

70cms is an often over looked band that has so much more to offer than just repeaters.

Often when I've mentioned 70cms simplex in the past PMR446 comes up a lot in the conversation which is all well and good but 70cms would be no different and the same if not better things can be done on 70cms considering you can run actual watts with antennas of your choice legally.

Right time to arrange a 70cms simplex net I think.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Re: 70cms simplex alive and well it would seem

Post by Ant »

I regularly get QSOs on 70cm, 433.500 and there are RSGB competitions on it. I don't know who has ever overlooked it, I've been using it for a while.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Ranger RCI2950DX
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Baofeng UV5RC
Baofeng 888s
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Ant wrote: 22 May 2021, 19:19 I regularly get QSOs on 70cm, 433.500 and there are RSGB competitions on it. I don't know who has ever overlooked it, I've been using it for a while.
Its gone back to being very quiet now, mind you conditions on UHF are very up & down at the moment. I'm thinking about doing a bit of packet radio on 70cms sometime. I've never done packet radio before and could be something fun to do.

Its great to hear people using 70cms simplex again. :thumbup:
DX-Digger
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

What freq you planning to run your Net on and what mode? FM SSB? Vertical/horizontal?
It would probably have to be ssb to reach up here into Stoke-on-Trent.
Cheers Mark
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I was thinking 433.450 MHz FM Vertical antennas.

You'd be surprised how far UHF can go even on FM.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Well I got the 70cms simplex net sorted, it was easier than I thought.
DX-Digger
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Werthers wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 22:42 Well I got the 70cms simplex net sorted, it was easier than I thought.
Ok so post up the details I will see if I can hear you guys on 433.450 Just need day and time the net runs from and too. :thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Its on Thursdays from 8:00 sometimes it may start earlier but officially the net starts at 8:00 PM and ends at 9:00 PM :thumbup:
Transwarp
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Werthers wrote: 22 May 2021, 19:01 I've just put up a new high gain 70cms antenna and heard some stations on simplex I almost choked on my tea hearing all that activity, apparently 70cms simplex has been active for a few days now. That is brilliant to hear. I was under the impression that 70cms simplex activity had died long ago.

70cms is an often over looked band that has so much more to offer than just repeaters.

Often when I've mentioned 70cms simplex in the past PMR446 comes up a lot in the conversation which is all well and good but 70cms would be no different and the same if not better things can be done on 70cms considering you can run actual watts with antennas of your choice legally.

Right time to arrange a 70cms simplex net I think.
What type of antenna is your hi gain one? I'm just curious because some of your posts from 2019 were about having issues due to not having a garden / not being able to install outside etc. Have you moved home since then or something else?
"Did video really kill the radio star?"