A couple radios to play with.

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

A couple radios to play with.

Post by Werthers »

I've been having a bit of a sort out and put some old PMR radios aside for Ham radio conversion. First I want to start with these two.

One is a Tait radio UHF and will cover the 70cms band. The other is an icom F1010 VHF and will cover the two meter band.

First I want to talk about the Tait radio.... these are known to be good radios for Amateur use, however my experience with some versions is that the audio is always low with a deviation of about 2.5KHz. I need at least 5KHz and in theory that should be fine.

Right... I used to program Tait radios on my old laptop but that wont be possible this time. The laptop has been very temperamental in the recent year and its no longer posting so I will have to find another way.

My Tait programming software is DOS based but can be ran in Windows however I decided to see if there was a better version to use and I found a Windows based version which I've downloaded and can be ran in Windows 7 :thumbup: Brilliant.

With it being a four channel transceiver, I did some research to see if more channels can be added but four channels is all it can do so this will have four Repeaters programed into it.

The Tait radio puts out 25 watts and will probably get hot on long overs so it will be turned down to 12 watts.

Hopefully programing should go smoothly although it never does. I know there will be something.

Once I get the Tait programed up then it be time to open it up and make the adjustments to the RF and deviation then it should be good to go.

The icom F1010... I've never programmed one of these before and the programming software is DOS I think I've found the programming software for this but I wont know until I've ran it. This can be done in Windows 10 under DOS Box. I've never used DOS Box before I'm willing to give it a try, its gotta be an easier option than hunting for another old computer that might not have much life in it.

From what I've read up about these icom radios, they require a channel expansion board to allow more channels which can be bought cheaply on ebay but first I need to find a way programing the radio provided that the programming software works
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: A couple radios to play with.

Post by Werthers »

I installed the Tait programming software to my computer running Windows 10 and it installed with no errors, however as I said before there is always a problem to encounter. I could not read the radio on Windows 10.

I had to get my other computer out that's running Windows 7 and I installed the Tait programing software on that and connected the serial cable to the radio was able to read from the radio to begin programming it.

Tait Radio programed successfully.

Now I have two more things to do and thats to adjust the deviation and RF which I will do tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

I assume you set the deviation up for around 2.5khz or under seeing as we're using 12.5khz channel spacings.
and 12w ?? i assume you're licenced for 12w, if you are then you'd already know we're running 12.5khz channel spacing b y now.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

bigpimp347 wrote: 03 May 2021, 20:37 I assume you set the deviation up for around 2.5khz or under seeing as we're using 12.5khz channel spacings.
and 12w ?? i assume you're licenced for 12w, if you are then you'd already know we're running 12.5khz channel spacing b y now.
Narrow band deviation at 2.5KHz is very narrow, 2.5 KHz deviation was insufficient FM deviation needs to be adjusted by turning the RV907 to 5KHz clockwise.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

it's not narrow, the average CB is 2.2khz to 2.5khz for a 10khz channel..
so 2.5khz to maybe 3khz would be plenty on a narrow 12.5khz radio.

i'll get vast amount of test equipment out and try it on a few narrow band radios and see what the audio is set at and report back.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

bigpimp347 wrote: 03 May 2021, 23:13 it's not narrow, the average CB is 2.2khz to 2.5khz for a 10khz channel..
so 2.5khz to maybe 3khz would be plenty on a narrow 12.5khz radio.

i'll get vast amount of test equipment out and try it on a few narrow band radios and see what the audio is set at and report back.
On these radios the out going audio is terrible when its not adjusted, it will work fine on some repeaters but not all. Every time I've programed a Tait T2000 series radio its always been the case and nobody can hear you or just hear the edge of your audio so doing that adjustment makes it wider and the audio then improves a lot. Its just the way it is on these Tait radios.