Unable to listen to anything on CB

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
chr0nik
Regular
Regular

Unable to listen to anything on CB

Post by chr0nik »

Not sure if it's the right place to ask but I'm having a hard time trying to rx anything on CB. I have a GainMaster 5/8 antenna mounted at around 8 meters above ground level and all I can hear is static noise.

A couple of months ago I was able to hear 27555Khz with a horizontal dipole but now I can't with the GainMaster. Can it still be heard or the band is closed?

Thanks
Alan Pilot

Re: Unable to listen to anything on CB

Post by Alan Pilot »

There is a bit now and again.
Did you check the coax and SWR.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Try ch19 UKFM for a while to see if there's anyone nattering on there. If there is, it's probably just that SSB is a bit quiet at the moment.

Otherwise, if it's dead everywhere, is the white noise itself giving any signal or is it flat, indicating a posdible co-ax or radio issue etc (unless you have a Cobra that reads low anyway)?

As mentioned above, a SWR test should show up any problems with the aerial or co-ax.
Alucard
Call Sign: TW4T

Post by Alucard »

I left CB years ago but kept my setup. Fired it up again I've got 7-9 pounds of crap on all channels. I put it down to the increased use of microprocessors in everything and the cheap foreign stuff that doesn't have the stringent RFI regulations required here :x
Never ask a starfish for directions.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

A horizontal antenna is less susceptible to picking up generally vertically polarized RF interference caused by the sometimes unfiltered and cheap electronic equipment found in houses, businesses and street furniture/lighting. So immediately and rather annoyingly the vertical will pick up more.
Common culprits are LED garden lighting, Plasma TV's and cheap Switch mode power supplies.

Couple that with the end of Sporadic E season and just the occasional 11m long skip opening and it is somewhat understandable.
What is your S meter reading ? A fairly solid S5-6-7-9. It will take strong signals to break through that.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Do you have of those touch lamps in your house? I have a touch illuminating globe on my desk and even when turned off it gives S7 of noise on the radio.

The only way to stop the noise is to unplug it completely.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

Just sit on 19 ,check all your connections your swr and hope you radio is ok. It’s not like years ago ,unless you live in Warrington lol
love your familly
chr0nik
Regular
Regular

Post by chr0nik »

The SWR goes between 1.1 on 26.5 to 1.2 on 27.9. However, I have a S7 to S9 throughout the band
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The crap you're picking up (electrical interference etc from the likes of routers/wifi/transfomers/LED's etc) is probably drowning out any weak signals. At some point, you may get a strong SSB or local FM signal that'll break through it.

I take it you've tried a different radio to ensure it's not your radio playing up a bit?

Whereabouts are you by the way, in case we have someone local to you that can perhaps give you a shout?