Best Mobile Mount for Ford Kuga?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Fatbill911
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 108DD33

Best Mobile Mount for Ford Kuga?

Post by Fatbill911 »

Hello all, I have a '64 plate Ford Kuga and wanting to put my CB into it. However I don't want a fixed mount at the moment.

The Kuga has roof rails (which I believe are an aluminium mix).

My two options are either fitting a roof bar mount or mag mount. Either option will mean coax going through the boot hatch.

What would you guys suggest as being best in terms of groundplane?

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Dunc.
Inverness, Scotland.

A guy who loves his radios!

"The Flying Scotsman" - C.B 19 - Give me a shout! :)

CB SIDEBAND DX - 108-DD-33
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Best Mobile Mount for Ford Kuga?

Post by The Collector »

Mag-mount and Sirio 3000/4000/5000 ;)
BrutonStreetTailor
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7JVB

Post by BrutonStreetTailor »

My across roof bars (Ford genuine) are insulated from the Kuga factory fitted roof bars so that is a problem. I have a detachable towbar which when removed has a large round hole left on the projecting stub of metal when the bar is not fitted so a fabricated mount suits me, a little lower down than I would like but as the outer hatch on my kuga is made of plastic it doesn't give me too much of a problem with a 9 ft whip. Has the added advantage of bonding to most of the metal on the car. This is even more important if you are running power, in which case mag-mounts would be out for me, I've just finished an install on a new vw transporter with a gutter type mount on the back door as it's a company van so this prevented me drilling holes straight through the roof, I found out the rear door unfortunately is electrically isolated from the body of the van so have had to electrically bond the metal work together with braided connections to get the most metal possible connected as I plan to install a modified Palomar Elite 900 I have found in my loft through a superantenna, regards.
Fatbill911
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 108DD33

Post by Fatbill911 »

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how I get on!
Inverness, Scotland.

A guy who loves his radios!

"The Flying Scotsman" - C.B 19 - Give me a shout! :)

CB SIDEBAND DX - 108-DD-33