The notorious fidelity 1000 as bad as it's made out to be ?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Buick Mackane

Re: The notorious fidelity 1000 as bad as it's made out to be ?

Post by Buick Mackane »

I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I'd say it is a close-run thing compared to Dave's video of the Cheiza version, but the Fidelity wins by a nose.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

The Collector wrote: 30 May 2020, 15:52 I'd say it is a close-run thing compared to Dave's video of the Cheiza version, but the Fidelity wins by a nose.
Dave's video is the fidelity version
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Buick Mackane wrote: 30 May 2020, 11:33
I Bet drew is on the bay looking for a NOS One :lol:
:lol: Err, No. Honestly, I was just curious about just how bad they were after you mentioned it.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Buick Mackane wrote: 30 May 2020, 11:33
Think there was one called a lake too, Which is probably the best place for them

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

Besides the awful channel rejection the other thing i didnt like was the poor FM RX audio, It was because it lacked a proper FM discriminator, Adding a separate one using a UPC1028H [Or similar] made a massive difference, but still a junk radio, I see them at radio rallies all the time for pennies and pick them up for parts such as signal meter, The rest goes in the bin.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Buick Mackane wrote: 30 May 2020, 15:58
The Collector wrote: 30 May 2020, 15:52 I'd say it is a close-run thing compared to Dave's video of the Cheiza version, but the Fidelity wins by a nose.
Dave's video is the fidelity version
I know it was mate. I was just making up the other (Cheiza) review or my nose joke wouldn't have made sense ...not that some got it anyway ;)
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If you ever come across (ooeeer missus) a Halcyon Cheetah version, please don't bin it and send it to me :)
barry206

Post by barry206 »

In pretty sure the fidelity 1000 was a 1 channel cb posing as a 40 channel cb !!!
stamp out quicksand
PARSNIPHUNTER
Regular
Regular

Post by PARSNIPHUNTER »

I used one of these for a good while as a truck radio (still have it) It worked well as long as you were talking to fairly strong signals 7 plus , under that they seem to suffer from a lot of electrical noise. They were crap in the good old days when there were 15 people or more within a mile of you the rx used to fall apart and you could hear them all at the same time 40 channels in one ( not as bad as the Midland 2/3/4001's though ! There are a few of good points , one they were so crap that no one would ever nick them, two if your hand brake went they made a good chock to stop the truck rolling , and three they had a fair amount of audio output so were good in a noisy truck !
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I have mine (new, old stock) in a shrine and I go up into the loft where it is and pray to it 3 times a day (or just twice if something's good on the telly).
BrutonStreetTailor
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7JVB

Post by BrutonStreetTailor »

Back in the early days to earn extra pocket money i used to repair radios for some of the locals, i had one of these bought to me for a repair and on looking inside discovered they could be modified, i found a local shop selling a Gecol for £7.00 i think it was, so I bought one of these badge engineered and fitted a hall effect transistor to the side and had extra channels below the usual suite,once my magnet was stuck to the side! one of the few legal radios of the era to be able to do that with. ran it mobile on my bicycle to great amusement, but it was fun.
PARSNIPHUNTER
Regular
Regular

Post by PARSNIPHUNTER »

I dug out my long suffering bashed and battered Fidelity 1000 ( with a five tone bleep! ) today connected it up in the car with an equally battered mag mount and bent mini springer and had a quick chat with two different people about 5 miles away this I was quite impressed with , as soon as I left the one guy his friend broke in and said a Fidelity 1000 with a 5 tone bleep ! and then commented that they were probably O.k now but were crap when there were a lot of breakers on air. I think he got it bang on !
Last edited by PARSNIPHUNTER on 07 Feb 2021, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

PARSNIPHUNTER wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 14:45 I dug out my long suffering bashed and battered Fidelity 1000 ( with a five tone bleep! ) out today connected it up in the car with an equally battered mage mount and bent mini springer and had a quick chat with two different people about 5 miles away this I was quite impressed with , as soon as I left the one guy his friend broke in and said a Fidelity 1000 with a 5 tone bleep ! and then commented that they were probably O.k now but were crap when there were a lot of breakers on air. I think he got it bang on !
Same with the Amstrad 900/901. Renowned for being "bleedover boxes" back in the day, but now great for pulling in those weaker stations.

It has to be said though. Out of all the 27/81 rigs the Fidelity 1000 was always looked upon as the worst of the worst.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
PARSNIPHUNTER
Regular
Regular

Post by PARSNIPHUNTER »

The first rig I owned was a CB901 with and Amstrad base loaded antenna (I was 11) my dad would not allow me an AM rig that I had used before but I/we then went for about a year with no license which never made any sense ! I had 7 people in the same street and about 30 on my estate, My mate two doors down had a Harvard Good Buddy and sometimes struggled to her me because of his crap receiver.