Monitoring on 934.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
QRZ-934

Re: Monitoring on 934.

Post by QRZ-934 »

No youre not going mad, there was and it was offered with a cb called the bluebird as i recall and they were rare back then so youll probably never find one today unless someones got one up for sale. :)

Its easier to find a delta 1 on ebay than try for a transverter type solution I reckon.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Did a little experimenting tonight.

With the delta connected to the co linear on C20 my noise floor here is around 3 bars, sometimes momentarily goes to 5 but most generally on 3.
Antennas fed by a length of westflex103 so I decided to see what would happen using a length of RG8 to connect inline.
Big drop off in received signal for only around 8 feet of RG8 and shows how sensitive things are at this frequency.

So if youre going to put an antenna up its imperative to use the proper cable ( moonraker supply it) and connectors or else youre just killing the signal strength.
PL259 are no good you have to use N types.
Surprised me to see such a short length do so much damage actually! :o

Anyways, I now have another length of westflex coming to use on the yagi, will be interested to see how it performs in respect of directionality and signal strengths. :thumbup:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

QRZ-934 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 20:05 Surprised me to see such a short length do so much damage actually! :o
That's exactly what my wife said to me after I got her pregnant ;)
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

The Collector wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 20:09
QRZ-934 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 20:05 Surprised me to see such a short length do so much damage actually! :o
That's exactly what my wife said to me after I got her pregnant ;)
That was kind of her. :)

Did a bit of further messing tonight.
Having aquired a decent swr meter for the job I tested out the co-linear. Currently reading at around 1.5:1.
Straight out of the box its pretty well on the money.

The yagi took a bit of messing to get the coax onto as its like trying to fit an angry snake onto the end of the N connector, the cables very stiff indeed.
Eventually after getting the yagi to sit and behave itself I found that the swr was 1.2:1. Im very happy with that.
Swinging it around I could isolate the local noise sources screwing up the band so at least I now can point it away from them to listen for potential voice traffic.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Continuing to monitor Ch20 and Ch 40.

Antenna still upright even after all the tornado type winds recently! :)
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Tropo forecast for the coming week is looking fair for any traffic from netherlands, appears best on friday, so if any traffic is on there im still monitoring Ch 20 and Ch 40 , 40 being the quietest in my location.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Still monitoring daily. Have heard of a net operating in hull apparently at times.

Colinear is still hanging in there despite some pretty stiff winds the last few weeks, had to fetch it down this morning as hte inner telescoping tube had started knocking against the outer sending noise into the wall.. sounded like someone breaking in.:)
Couple of o rings slid down the tube and its all quiet again. :D
mayedd
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM123

Post by mayedd »

Got quite a few 934 radios here. Might set one up againImage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Channel 19 - “Peanut”
Triple 5 - 26TM123
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

mayedd wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 19:02 Got quite a few 934 radios here. Might set one up againImage
Got the same beast here too! Amongst others. :)

Havent yet heard anyone on it but theres always a chance, depends where you are I suppose and how much local cell interference there is going on.
As Ive found out all but channel 20 are unusable and even thats really noisy at times, channel 40 is the quietest usually 2 to 3 bars of noise at my location.
Its an exclusive band tho, so exclusive theres no one on it! :D

Btw, whats your little box of tricks on top of the Delta?
JM62

Post by JM62 »

mayedd wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 19:02
Looks like a Selcal unit to me.

Selcal
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

JM62 wrote: 26 Apr 2020, 14:07
mayedd wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 19:02
Looks like a Selcal unit to me.

Selcal

Yeah could be! My old Hygain 5 back in the 80's had a socket on the back marked selcall and at the time I didnt know what it did so I wrote to the manufacturers in the states in pen and ink -remember that stuff? :D long before mobiles and interwebs, got a letter back some weeks later informing me they no longer made radios and stated that it was for a selective calling unit to be fitted.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Headed out into the wild on sunday with the delta and a couple of antennas in tow.
After setting up on a hill I found that ch 20 and 40 were essentially clear,very little to no received cell activity.

No contacts made unfortunately but did get a few instances where static levels altered immediately after id called so possibly someone heard the calls. Seemed to be some voice traffic on ch20 but very back in the box and hardly discernible as such, might just have been my imagination.
Camera trained at the home based unit confirmed calls being received at 11 miles out so working as it should.
Beam antenna was useful as it easily "shot" between interference and could locate towers with it no problem.
If alls well weather wise, this sunday will repeat the exercise., hopefully will either qso or be received.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If anyone's interested that's not already watching it, I've been watching this Clarion 934mhz rig for a week on ebay and no one has bid as yet. Sometimes that means that the serious bidders are waiting until the dying seconds as usual:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153995834282

I was thinking about sticking a bid in but as it's not a UK radio, I've decided not to bother.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Headed out again today and set up away from the usual sources of noise.

With the co-linear up on the car ch 20 again was pretty much clear, 40 was totally so.
Carried out a few calls, had nothing back as usual, but phoned home to get a report as I was on air, signal was apparently clearer than the mobile at 11 miles distance. and signal meter over on max rx strength.

Next test is to set up the prs radios on 933 and get them to lock on to each other to get the contact and see how that all sounds.

Btw if anyone wants to set up a time and date to try and make a contact pm me.
Last edited by QRZ-934 on 14 Jul 2020, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

The Collector wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 07:51 If anyone's interested that's not already watching it, I've been watching this Clarion 934mhz rig for a week on ebay and no one has bid as yet. Sometimes that means that the serious bidders are waiting until the dying seconds as usual:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153995834282

I was thinking about sticking a bid in but as it's not a UK radio, I've decided not to bother.
That radio is apparently the one on the 934mhz club poster.