AM paranoia

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Re: AM paranoia

Post by NightProwler »

ch25 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 21:44 Running half kilowatt into Predator 10k
Chris
As you do :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Allan666
Call Sign: G0CRB

Post by Allan666 »

NightProwler wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 21:17
Allan666 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 07:43 I can remember back around 1980 time when we went shopping and the wife went into the supermarket and I stayed outside chatting on my AM Midland rig .The wife came back to the car quicker than normal to tell me to stop chatting as everything I said was coming over the shops loudspeaker system lol.
See thats what im talking about :lol:
What I said above was the truth, it happened in Leamington spa at the rear of the Tesco store which is still there at the top of the parade .......... Also when parked outside the TV rental shop Rediffusion that was also on the parade L/Spa I was sat outside chatting on the AM Midland and when I looked to the left I was affecting all yes all the TV pictures on display in their shop window.I have said what happened ,
If the problen cant be sorted with a "LUMP-HAMMER" then its most likely to be an Electrical fault
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Allan666 wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 08:35
NightProwler wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 21:17
Allan666 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 07:43 I can remember back around 1980 time when we went shopping and the wife went into the supermarket and I stayed outside chatting on my AM Midland rig .The wife came back to the car quicker than normal to tell me to stop chatting as everything I said was coming over the shops loudspeaker system lol.
See thats what im talking about :lol:
What I said above was the truth, it happened in Leamington spa at the rear of the Tesco store which is still there at the top of the parade .......... Also when parked outside the TV rental shop Rediffusion that was also on the parade L/Spa I was sat outside chatting on the AM Midland and when I looked to the left I was affecting all yes all the TV pictures on display in their shop window.I have said what happened ,
Slightly off topic, Years ago i found a digital watch that doubles up as a remote control, Think i still have it, Anyhow i went into a TV Shop which had a full wall covered in TV's, I turned them all off using the watch and walked out sniggering :lol:

Childish but fun :D
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
rpcomms

Post by rpcomms »

No
I think there's two things that may not being considered

1.Multi-Norm sets have much tighter specifications on the Am transmit side Vs older 70-80s FCC sets,that also includes filtering harmonics on modern CB kit,don't forget test equipment has also moved and advanced too to test radios in accuracy.

2.Old British TV sets back in 60-90s had poor shielding,poor filtering in the TV rx tuners modules wide as a barn door!!

Where Europe had higher spec TV to lower risk of Am CB radios!!

This has completely changed with TV mfrs and extra compliance is now required which should elevate any CB Am immunity transmissions.
Also components and construction of TV have vastly changed now.

Still have to apply common sense if using base operations keep the antenna well away from TV antenna!

But I wouldn't be paranoid since it's legal to use..
Now here in UK and EU under multi-norm CB sets
Don't let it spoil your fun 😊

It took us ages to finally get all modes and multi band CB radios and fight the "system" in UK so use it and enjoy it.
I'm having the same issues with "FM+ctcss"on CB
Took ages getting mfrs to put it in ,but everyone seems paranoid to use the new feature!!! 😕
Like a mind block ??

Very odd 🤔 if you ask me...

Am can have certain advantages your peak Am power should be around 16w pep if radio set up correctly with 4w carrier at 95% mod.

Don't let paranoia get to you or be swayed by others just because it does not fit their thinking process,seeing this far too much in hobby world.

Enjoy it, plenty of skip on Am mode to try out too!
Often mobile I hear on EU band Italy,Spain,USA,France using it.

Experiment and post your Am results,don't be afraid , embrace it 😉 👍

73's Rob.P