problems transmitting on Yaesu ft897d

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Rizzini ABC123
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M7FFI

problems transmitting on Yaesu ft897d

Post by Rizzini ABC123 »

Hi all, im a new ham just passed my foundation and set up my shack I have a Yaesu ft897d it was a unused one this is connected to a sharman AV-1000 vswr meter then this is connected to a mAT-30 atu then to the se hf x-80 xp vertical (6-80meter) antenna, all using rg213 coax. now regarding the antenna I have tuned it for the 20 meter band using my rig expert 230 zoom and it is reading 1.45 swr and a return loss of 13.1 db, problem is I just spent 1 hour calling cq all thru the permitted 20 meter band no reply at all I can hear lots of conversations all over uk and Europe but no one cant hear me on transmit and ideas please this is very frustrating tbo, but the transceiver has quite a complex menu system and I really aren't sure how to set it up especially the mic any ideas would be greatly appreciated !
Atb Alf (M7FFI)
Kilo-Golf
Registered New User
Registered New User

Re: problems transmitting on Yaesu ft897d

Post by Kilo-Golf »

I would try transmitting and using a web sdr to hear what your audio and signal is like. You could also ask local amateurs to check your transmitting okay. Then try answering some calls.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

hf x-80 xp is basically a dummy load. Most of the power is used to heat un-un ferrite core in the bottom.
Try to add at least 2 radials per band, should improve a little.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Rizzini ABC123
Regular
Regular

Post by Rizzini ABC123 »

Ok thanks for the feed back guys, think I will scrap the dummy load 80 xp vertical and try something better any suggestions please only got the 80 xp because limited room in the back garden so really need a vertical is there any really good ones anyone could recommend for 20 and 40 meter bands please.
Alf.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

7-8m vertical is self supporting. Could be AL pipe, can be wire n fibreglass fishing pole.
Put one in the garden. than add some radials as long and as many as you can.
Sell or trade mAT-30 for FC-40 and place it at the bottom of your vertical.
Enjoy well performing antenna.
Chris
Rizzini ABC123
Regular
Regular

Post by Rizzini ABC123 »

Ok thank you for the info Chris good advice for sure
Alf.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Look at the DX Commander. There's a number of different options available, but essentially, it's a multiband 1/4 vertical. The smallest is the Rapide, and is self supporting. A few radials are all that's needed. They are very efficient.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Rizzini ABC123
Regular
Regular

Post by Rizzini ABC123 »

Thanks Auldgeek will check it out
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Dx commander will be even better, no ATU needed, but still need many ground radials.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

ch25 wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 21:28 Dx commander will be even better, no ATU needed, but still need many ground radials.
It's an excellent antenna Chris. I run the Classic, which is around 10m. It's configured for 80-10 excluding 30m. On 80m, I have the radiator approximately 9m vertical, and the rest is horizontal. As you say, no atu required.

I have around 20 X 5m radials, and another 10 at 8m. Noise level is also remarkably low for a vertical. Highly recommended.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

DX Commanders are good, but a bit deaf on receive, but good on TX. Quite a bit of fiddling needed to get all bands correct. A lot of reports of snapped poles as people leave them up without enough guys.

I have a DX commander classic +80m and I have another 10m pole with a wire up it connected to an FC-40 with one 10m counterpoise wire and I prefer to use that. I've fitted a choke to help reduce some of the noise which verticals are prone to.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Rizzini ABC123
Regular
Regular

Post by Rizzini ABC123 »

thanks everyone for your recommendations, however I now have the xp 80 set up perfectly on the 15-20 and 40 meter bands, no radials required just adjusted the length to suit these bands so I got less than 3.1 swr readings on these 3 bands on the rig expert 350 zoom, connected it straight to a Yaesu ftdx1200 and job done the transceivers built in atu does the rest if need be although I do have a ldg yt-1200 on standby for use on the 80 meter band as this is showing 5.2 swr a bit high for the transceivers atu to handle I believe, however I am happy with its performance for a cheap antenna and have been making contacts all over Germany France Spain Italy Poland Belgium etc as well as Scotland and England, I must say for a cheap vertical with no radials needed it is quite impressive especially with my location only being 3 meters above sea level, most reports are coming back 5 and 9 or 5 and 8 just shows what a bit of setting up can do