9900 / 6666 volume control problem.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

9900 / 6666 volume control problem.

Post by ghost123uk »

My "Anytone" (silly name) 6666 has developed a strange issue with it's volume.

Occasionally, with no input from me, the volume "jumps" from say number 07 to number 12, or down to 03, etc, fairly random as far as I can see.
It's not just the number, it is the actual output volume as well.

Note, the volume pot, whilst it is a normal pot (I think) does not work the same as they usually do, it actually controls a digital circuit {bnghd}

Normally I would suspect a worn volume pot, but I don't think this is the case here because it does the same if I turn it up to nearly full, away from the "normal use" range, where wear might be expected.

The other problem is that the access to the pot is a HORRID job with lots (maybe 30) of tiny solder connections that have to be removed that join the front panel to the main PCB, so I cannot even try a squirt of Deoxit or Servisol :evil: (not that I think that would work in this case).

I have checked for dry joints by examination and tapping / moving "stuff" whilst it is on.

Note, I am very well experienced with more conventional setup repairs as I am a retired electronics engineer, but not up to speed with the latest gear.

Any thoughts on this folk ?
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: 9900 / 6666 volume control problem.

Post by Edd200sx »

Personally I’d order a new control from knights and get it fitted

Pretty easy rigs to work on imo
DELETE MY ACCOUNT
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Thanks for the input Edd.

So I see you consider it may be a failing pot, even though it does this "jumping around" even when set well away from it's normal operating position ? If you reply "yes" then I will do as you say and try to source a pot from Knights (etc).

Re working on it (the front panel). The problem is there is one screw that needs to be removed that is totally inaccessible unless you de-solder the 30 or so "right angle" solder connections between the front panel and the main board. They are VERY close together !!
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Edd200sx »

ghost123uk wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 10:08 Thanks for the input Edd.

So I see you consider it may be a failing pot, even though it does this "jumping around" even when set well away from it's normal operating position ? If you reply "yes" then I will do as you say and try to source a pot from Knights (etc).

Re working on it (the front panel). The problem is there is one screw that needs to be removed that is totally inaccessible unless you de-solder the 30 or so "right angle" solder connections between the front panel and the main board. They are VERY close together !!
I can only say every volume issue I’ve had on those has been
A bad pot. No guarantee obviously 🤓

Solder braid the connections off
They re flow back really easy
DELETE MY ACCOUNT