The state of 555

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

The state of 555

Post by NightProwler »

Yeah I know people are going to say "Well it's the chicken band" etc but lately what the hell has happened to 555? Everyday that Russian w**ker is going on about monkeys and theres another station blasting music all the time. What a bloody mess. Nevermind the plank that lives up the road from me whistling all the time {bnghd}
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
skyrider
Regular
Regular

Re: The state of 555

Post by skyrider »

yep there is a guy on the air around us who has to use an f in every other word , it's not great when people are listening in including women but he doesn't seem to care :thumbdown:
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Why not just tune to free frequency and call CQ?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

ch25 wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 14:45 Why not just tune to free frequency and call CQ?
I do tend to do that but when im in the shack pottering about I like to have 555 on in the back ground. Ive started using 26.285 a lot more recently :thumbup:

If I hear that Russian tw*t one more time going on about monkeys I swear I am going to crack up {bnghd}
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

Could be worse....try 80 and the stupid covid fixated lot bragging about the 6th/7th life saving jab or....we don't go out and the shopping is delivered to our door still and the one that get's right up my nose.....73 Stay safe.....from what a pigging terminator.
No I'll stick to 555 :lol:
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Choose an empty frequency and call CQ and get someone to spot you on the dxcluster or do a self spot if its not forbidden on the cluster.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

In my area the Dimwits have said no matter what the call freq is thats where they will talk , one of the Dimwits admitted on a cb forum that he is one of them so atleast everyone on there knows what a a hole he is , got to remember these guys are 40 - 50 years old and acting like kids
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

It's like the plank up the road from me who whistles his guts out on 555 and shouts "ORLA ORLA" all the time, Even when the band is dead with no prop he pretends to talk to stations in Canada {bnghd} But what really winds me up is letting his grand daughter who sounds about 5 or 6 jabber away on 555. Everytime he whistles I ask him if he has lost his dog again which he dont like and starts calling me an idiot, I just tell him he is the idiot and why not just be a good operator. It's people like this that give everyone else a bad name.
Spooky
Regular
Regular

Post by Spooky »

I'm quite new to this so I assume you folks are talking about 27.555mhz. I realised a week or two ago that I could receive this.

It all sounds rather confusing to me at the moment, sounded like a competition of sorts running the other day using radio talk that I don't understand yet.
I still enjoy listening though.
mrpsychopath
Call Sign: 108tm1313

Post by mrpsychopath »

If its the calling frequency fair enough, call and move to another frequency, dont sit and talk about t shirt sales, what crap you just had from the carry out, or use radio while pissed to shout abuse
Kill em all and let god sort them out.
Samalex
Call Sign: MM0

Post by Samalex »

wasnt like this in the 80s i have also noticed some locals talk with an accent and add a load of bull to the over. Makes me laugh at the way they talk but then that's so called progress lol CB slang is moved on thats for sure

I only listen there now and again to gauge if teh prop is open
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

That plank that lives by me talks with an accent too but what I can not understand is he says "errr" after every other word, Goes a bit like..."CQ CQ CQ DX errrr 163 *** *** errrrr calling DX, QSY to errrrr 27.525" I often wonder if he only does this on the radio or he talks to everyone like that. "errrrr morning dear errrr do you want errrrrr a cup of tea errrr?" :lol:
Spooky
Regular
Regular

Post by Spooky »

HaHa
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

mrpsychopath wrote: 09 Dec 2023, 07:54 If its the calling frequency fair enough, call and move to another frequency, dont sit and talk about t shirt sales, what crap you just had from the carry out, or use radio while pissed to shout abuse
Ones in my area had a gripping QSO about pile cream when west coast usa and Hawaii were calling on t5 then started to moan about oh not usa again !!!! then the 2 drunks come on who can hardly talk and moan and shout abuse at anyone. Shall i hold my breath and see if the one in this forum tells us why he does it , he was a big boy outing himself on another forum.
Spooky
Regular
Regular

Post by Spooky »

Pile cream lol.
Why do people on 555 on upper side band speak in radio talk? I thought anything under 28 down to 25, was CB radio, worldwide?
Heard some folk yesterday from Eastern Europe, Quebec, Spain and Italy using "Amateur ?" radio talk - sorry if I'm getting this wrong.

Listening to the Americans on AM last week was like the wild west with people going crazy and loosing their minds !

Still new to all this - but the Pile cream story hit the spot - made me laugh.