Audio buzzing through the speaker when you touch the chassis

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Audio buzzing through the speaker when you touch the chassis

Post by cb4ever104 »

Trying to figure out why this happens on a couple of my radios . Thought it was a grounding/earth issue . Or maybe DC on the chassis . I've had it recently on radios which don't have that little pcb on the mic socket . Thought it might be a capacitor that was o/c , or something similar , but I haven't been able to find the issue .

I've a little 40ch AM radio here that's doing it too . As soon as I tough the mic socket or chassis I get buzzing through the speaker .

Any ideas ?

S.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Audio buzzing through the speaker when you touch the chassis

Post by Tin soldier »

How about the ground on the power supply ???
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Tin soldier wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 16:03 How about the ground on the power supply ???
Thanks for the reply ! It's a switched mode , and doesn't have a ground . Doesn't do it with all my radios . I noticed it on a JACK that I had , and now with a Nevada 40 CH AM job . Doesn't happen with the Superstars , 360s , 148s etc .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

My advice would be to not buy sh** radios ;)

My advice is rarely useful though.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The Collector wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 17:42 My advice would be to not buy sh** radios ;)
Nothing wrong with the JACK Dave . Uniden/Philippine made . Same as the Stalker 9 . I've tried disconnecting things along the power and antenna line , just in case it was something else that was causing it . But it wasn't . Thought it might have been DC on the chassis , but it's not that either .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Use a 12v battery and see, if no noise it's the PSU or house wiring.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Transwarp wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 21:37 Use a 12v battery and see, if no noise it's the PSU or house wiring.
Thanks . I'll try that next time .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I find it's just me sometimes. I used to get a 240v-type shock from a canned drinks fridge up near the Lickey Hills in Birmingham that we used on a regular basis. It used to pulse through my body when I opened the door up and it'd make my hair stand up slightly. My mates had no issues and we were all wearing trainers.The bloke that ran the shop saw us messing with it and laughing and had it checked out by an electrician, but they found nothing amiss. I just got my mates to get the drinks out if I was carrying anything or it'd go flying.

I'm also known turn street lights on and off by walking under them, like the beginning of the "Mr.Bean" series. My wife calls me a freaky weirdo.

I also used to "charge myself up" on the stainless steel banisters at Cribbs Causeway shopping mall near Bristol for a few seconds, and then go to hold my wife's hand. There'd be a 4" blue flash, a loud "crack" and the sound of my wife squealing as she got electrocuted :)
She wouldn't hold my hand after I'd done it a few times (I wonder why).
Car doors in summer are always a bad one too with static build-up. When it gets me on my little fingers as I open them, it hurts like a bitc*.

I found that lots of radios or power mic's that I used buzzed or hummed when I used them, but other people using them had no issues. I think I need a grounding wire trailing out of my arse ;)
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

@The Collector
Is your last name Tesla by any chance? ⚡⚡😵‍💫
🙂
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

The Collector wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 17:18 I find it's just me sometimes. I used to get a 240v-type shock from a canned drinks fridge up near the Lickey Hills in Birmingham that we used on a regular basis. It used to pulse through my body when I opened the door up and it'd make my hair stand up slightly. My mates had no issues and we were all wearing trainers.The bloke that ran the shop saw us messing with it and laughing and had it checked out by an electrician, but they found nothing amiss. I just got my mates to get the drinks out if I was carrying anything or it'd go flying.

I'm also known turn street lights on and off by walking under them, like the beginning of the "Mr.Bean" series. My wife calls me a freaky weirdo.

I also used to "charge myself up" on the stainless steel banisters at Cribbs Causeway shopping mall near Bristol for a few seconds, and then go to hold my wife's hand. There'd be a 4" blue flash, a loud "crack" and the sound of my wife squealing as she got electrocuted :)
She wouldn't hold my hand after I'd done it a few times (I wonder why).
Car doors in summer are always a bad one too with static build-up. When it gets me on my little fingers as I open them, it hurts like a bitc*.

I found that lots of radios or power mic's that I used buzzed or hummed when I used them, but other people using them had no issues. I think I need a grounding wire trailing out of my arse ;)

Your a bit of a live wire :lol:

I used to get a lot of static etc too when younger.
Car doors were a pain. Literally.

Reminded me of my dad when I was a kid rubbing balloons on his jumper and making his hair stand up or sticking them to walls :D

I don't seem to suffer with static as I've gotten older. Must of lost my spark :( :lol: