Can a marine scanner be made to listen to one specific frequency only?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Muscular
Registered New User
Registered New User

Can a marine scanner be made to listen to one specific frequency only?

Post by Muscular »

I got a cheap airband radio recently and have enjoyed listening to the traffic at my local airport. It doesn't cover the marine frequencies though and I was looking at getting one of those, as I live quite near a port and should be able to pick stuff up. I was looking at the Uniden EZI-33 XLT scanner but I have never used an actual scanner before. My airband doesn't scan, you have to key in a frequency. Can I configure a scanner to work the same way, because I'd prefer to have it listen in on the specific frequency used by the port rather than have it automatically scan the entire marine band?
Mototrbo2020
Regular
Regular

Re: Can a marine scanner be made to listen to one specific frequency only?

Post by Mototrbo2020 »

Yes you can lock the scanner onto one channel or even a small group or large group.
ANYTONE99
Regular
Regular

Post by ANYTONE99 »

Buy a marine radio like the icom m25.

Incredible bit of kit .
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

To be honest, the M25 is a nice piece of kit, I sell them, but it’s overkill for most casual users. You can get a radio with good performance with easy button access to the channels for around £80 or a tad more, or a simple radio with knob with all marine channels fitted (boat yards, marinas, work areas) for your local area for £65 upwards? Waterproofing, groups and messages are really not much use for listeners