Maxon speak easy

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Hair Bear
Regular
Regular

Maxon speak easy

Post by Hair Bear »

Anyone remember the Maxon Speak Easy?
I had four, all channel 'A', which I think equated the UKfm channel 2. Not sure about the idea of the antenna clipped into the headband wrapped over your head though.
One person in ten understands binary, the other one doesn't.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Maxon speak easy

Post by The Collector »

I think I had something identical. They had a clip-on unit that you wore around your waist or clipped on a belt, a cable connected to the headset with a little boom mic that came around in front of your face. The flimsy wire aerial either flapped about, or like you say, it could be bent around the headseat frame and clipped into little hooks to keep it stable if you were quickly on the move. You could either use a PTT button to TX, or you could have it on auto-vox or somsthing, so it TX'd as you started speaking...usually cutting off part of the first word you said, or it'd TX if you breathed heavily, coughed, or it heard any nearby loud noise!

Me and my mate Spencer (Atomic Rooster) used them to suss out and sneak up on a mate who was doing "the business" in the back of his Mini van up on the Lickey Hills on tge edge of Bromsgrove one night. We found his car, crept up on either side to ensure tgat they were in the back...and then rocked it so hard it nearly lifted off the ground. You could hear the girl squealing and him shouting all sorts of obscenities as we ran off giggling.
Hair Bear
Regular
Regular

Post by Hair Bear »

Ah shenanigans. Worked for a while at the Romsley mast so at least I know 'Lickey Hills' isn't a metaphor :)
Sounds like a Speakeasy, single channel although there were four available - just make sure you get a matching pair.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

The Collector wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 20:31
Me and my mate Spencer (Atomic Rooster) used them to suss out and sneak up on a mate who was doing "the business" in the back of his Mini van up on the Lickey Hills on tge edge of Bromsgrove one night. We found his car, crept up on either side to ensure tgat they were in the back...and then rocked it so hard it nearly lifted off the ground. You could hear the girl squealing and him shouting all sorts of obscenities as we ran off giggling.
Love it :lol:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I had a good think and if I recall, they might have been Realistic 49mhz ones so I Googled that and came up with these pictured, which I'm pretty sure were the ones I had.

I took them round to "Gadget" our local rig doctor to see if they could be made more powerful as they only reached about 100ft with the aerials strapped down, but he said it'd be too much hassle. I ended swapping them for a little portable Realistic 5" colour TV from him and bought a couple of Amstrad 2ch handhelds instead which got out a lot further and you could talk to other people too.

I must've done swapsies and deals on hundreds of radios and aerials over the years!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

The Collector wrote: 12 Oct 2023, 21:22 I had a good think and if I recall, they might have been Realistic 49mhz ones so I Googled that and came up with these pictured, which I'm pretty sure were the ones I had.

I took them round to "Gadget" our local rig doctor to see if they could be made more powerful as they only reached about 100ft with the aerials strapped down, but he said it'd be too much hassle. I ended swapping them for a little portable Realistic 5" colour TV from him and bought a couple of Amstrad 2ch handhelds instead which got out a lot further and you could talk to other people too.

I must've done swapsies and deals on hundreds of radios and aerials over the years!

I've still got a little tv somewhere, sanyo i think.
Hair Bear
Regular
Regular

Post by Hair Bear »

I've got a Sony Watchman tv. 2" screen I think.
The Speakeasy unit's I had were a grey colour and definitely 27mHz.
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

I seen this not so long ago and thought of this thread.

http://www.radiopics.com/CB%20Radio/UK% ... X-27SE.htm
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
Hair Bear
Regular
Regular

Post by Hair Bear »

That's the one. If you look carefully on the back you can see that one is channel 'A', or ch 2 on UKfm. Never realised it actually had a model designation.