New user and wanting a licensing

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Re: New user and wanting a licensing

Post by Transwarp »

Wulv wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 21:43 what model cb would you suggest ? would the THUNDERPOLE T-800 CB Radio be a good start with standard Cb setup
You want a multi mode CB, but to be honest an HF amature radio is far better for your money.

Again to be honest and just my opinion, because ham radio has so much nowadays it's actually difficult to suggest what a person should do and go for radio wise when starting out. Digital or analogue or both, plus all the different options / interests in operating on what.

Whatever you do equipment wise it will cost money anyway.

Everyone starts out different. Me, l was on CB, and still on, for over 20 years before l decided to get a ham licence. I didn't join a club to get my ticket because it wasn't necessary - for me.

Prior to that l'd already bought a HF set, a dual bander, set up a long wire and tri-band antenna and other bits and was listening in to all the talk, getting used to working my way round the equipment and bands for a fair while before l got my licence, so when the day came and l got my callsign l was straight off the starting blocks like a pro, but this is what suited me of course.

Only you can decide what way will work for you.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Wouldn't bother with CB, if you're thinking of amateur radio, just go straight for that, there's so much you can do with it that you can't with CB.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

My tuppence worth .
Good advice from transwarp IMO.
I came back on air just over 12 months ago on CB and PMR.
I'm still learning and experimenting with both and with a view to maybe do a ham license.

I'm enjoying my experience through CB and PMR and I look at ham as another feather in the cap if I carry on.

But for now I'm happy with the unlicensed aspect of the hobby.

You can program the PMR channels into your UV5R .
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

Ant wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 19:51 Wouldn't bother with CB, if you're thinking of amateur radio, just go straight for that, there's so much you can do with it that you can't with CB.

From his posts it sounds like he just wants to chat. So PMR and CB would be a good starting point IMO.
And a good tool to learn the basics.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Tin soldier wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 20:05
Ant wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 19:51 Wouldn't bother with CB, if you're thinking of amateur radio, just go straight for that, there's so much you can do with it that you can't with CB.

From his posts it sounds like he just wants to chat. So PMR and CB would be a good starting point IMO.
Yeah, but there'll be more encouraging activity on amateur than CB or PMR. I've listened to both, not a lot going on, but good to have to play about with.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

Ant wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 20:21

Yeah, but there'll be more encouraging activity on amateur than CB or PMR. I've listened to both, not a lot going on, but good to have to play about with.

Apart from repeaters listened to on a Baofeng which bore me to death 😁
I have very little knowledge of ham bands.
Although I've spoken to, and met some decent hams through CB that encourage me to do the ticket.

But as a ham you will know where I'm coming from if I say "your damned if you do, and damned if you don't", as far as some "hams" go, where, going straight onto ham with little knowledge of etiquette or procedure would be met with scorn.

And learning radio etiquette and use through CB would be appreciated until they find out you learnt from Muppets band 👍🏼🤣

Anyway, like I say, personally I'm happy with where I'm at up to now. And I'll see where it leads.

I do think PMR and CB is a good start into the hobby though and if I do get a ticket i won't turn my back on CB 👍🏼
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

@Ts
Wouldn't worry about the scorn or being dammed, those that are like that are either self entitled and / or forgot that they were new once themselves, and unless any of them pay your bills and/or put food on your table then they don't matter in the slightest. Anyone who gets their ticket - at any level - have earned the right to use the bands, so if you do decide one day to become a licenced ham then go right ahead and hope you enjoy it :thumbup:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Transwarp wrote: 11 Aug 2023, 20:30 @Ts
Wouldn't worry about the scorn or being dammed, those that are like that are either self entitled and / or forgot that they were new once themselves, and unless any of them pay your bills and/or put food on your table then they don't matter in the slightest. Anyone who gets their ticket - at any level - have earned the right to use the bands, so if you do decide one day to become a licenced ham then go right ahead and hope you enjoy it :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Tin soldier wrote: 11 Aug 2023, 19:07
Ant wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 20:21

Apart from repeaters listened to on a Baofeng which bore me to death 😁
I have very little knowledge of ham bands.
Although I've spoken to, and met some decent hams through CB that encourage me to do the ticket.

But as a ham you will know where I'm coming from if I say "your damned if you do, and damned if you don't", as far as some "hams" go, where, going straight onto ham with little knowledge of etiquette or procedure would be met with scorn.

And learning radio etiquette and use through CB would be appreciated until they find out you learnt from Muppets band 👍🏼🤣

Anyway, like I say, personally I'm happy with where I'm at up to now. And I'll see where it leads.

I do think PMR and CB is a good start into the hobby though and if I do get a ticket i won't turn my back on CB 👍🏼
Most amateur folk are very helpful, there may be a very small core of those who scorn some people for something or other, but I can't really say I've ever personally heard any scorning. Though radio etiquette on CB is different to amateur bands, in a sense that there is typical CB lingo which can confuse some people. I once had a QSO with someone who was telling me he had so many pounds of noise, I had no idea what he was talking about, at all. Someone later on said he's using CB lingo, pounds instead of S points. I used to be on CB a lot years ago and don't recall using much or any of that lingo at all. On amateur bands it really is just like having a regular chat, I may ask someone their name, not for their 'personal'.

So basically, there's nothing to be scared of going onto the amateur bands, start listening, do the foundation, then start talking, most people on there are very helpful and encouraging.

paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Most hams just talk normally, unless there is a reason for abbreviations - so it's common for somebody to say "sorry, I didn't catch the name?" I always say 'Paul' - other people zoom into phonetic mode - with papa, alpha, uniform, lima - but not me. That seems totally unnecessary. CB, marine, ham bands and aviation all have their own specific language and way of speaking - sort of just being members of the club/family. You speak like the other users - even if it's a bit strange. In fact, the worst mangling of ordinary English is on the marine bands where people often just show themselves up as totally inept, proficiency wise. Marine folk also have an exam. In fact, although radio users hate the term "over and out" - you hear it most on marine, and you can almost feel the despair in the others hearing it!
Ant

Post by Ant »

I've had to spell my name phonetically, as with some people and I don't know why, when I tell them my name they repeat back a completely different name. There are some phrases, used by the 'club' or 'family' that I refuse to use. You won't hear me saying 73, for example.

Wriggly Ron
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M7XDN

Post by Wriggly Ron »

For the OP, I've recently passed my foundation and I completely understand how you feel about going round in circles. There is a lot of advice, and a lot of opinion, some from the UK a lot from the US, and not all of it is helpful.

If you are listening to 2m/0.7 and want to get involved, then aim for that. I enjoy CB, and while it is licence free and the equipment is cheap, you do have to sort out a decent antenna and you are (legally) restricted to 4W. If there are not many CB users in your area then it will feel a waste of time and effort.
For 2m/0.7m you get 10W, and will be able to use a Baofeng handheld which are cheap and cheerful, if a bit confusing to use. If you can open a repeater and can hear people then you are good to go. You can also drive somewhere else in range of a different repeater and use that. A lot of hams seem to talk about bands and which sets to buy, but I found the limiting factor was always the antenna, and what you can set up or have room for.

For the licence I used the online training from GM6DX, but EssexHam also offer it. I did that and lots of practice tests. The test was OK, but needed a computer to run Webex and the test software. My pc wouldn't run the Webex, but I managed to sort a workaround. The invigilator was friendly and relaxed. I got my letter from RSGB in about 3 days and then you can get your callsign the same day. The you're good to go.

You can choose your call sign but when I did mine about 3 weeks ago there were only about 16 or 17 unallocated M7's left, so finding a specific one is a challenge.

Once you have your callsign you can use all the bands available to you. I think it really helps to know someone that can help you through the maze, but it's not always possible. A local ham will probably offer you guidance once you get on the air.