Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

Post by paulears »

Oddly, when the email arrived yesterday about new OFCOM changes (our version of the US FCC), I expected doom and gloom, but I was pleased. Simplifications and benefits. Increases in power for all licence categories, and 400w up to 1Kw for full licence holders. Beacons and repeaters made simpler, remote operation and construction of microwave gear encouraged for newcomers. I found little I think people might object to, bar those people who kept their old licence call signs going when they passed additional tests. Some of the old folk who took a Morse test, got a new callsign, but kept their old one will lose the old callsign. One callsign per person. The exception would be club callsign where individuals can have up to five. Balanced by the ability to swap callsign, so if your dad passes, you could take over his callsign which is a nice idea, but you lose your old one. I suppose that if you find an empty unallocated callsign with your initials maybe, you could swap to it?

They’ve invited consultations comments, but it seems pretty well thought out, should be done and dusted by early next year.
LondonCbRadio

Re: Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

Post by LondonCbRadio »

So what will the power increase be for the foundation and intermediate ?
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

LondonCbRadio wrote: 24 Jun 2023, 10:11 So what will the power increase be for the foundation and intermediate ?
From what iv'e heard 100 watts for intermediates, Not sure about foundation
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Proposal Highlights:

The three licence levels (Foundation, Intermediate & Full) remain
No new bands to be made available
Power increases at all 3 levels (20w, 100w, 1,000w) – not all bands, and some restrictions apply
A single licence and callsign for each amateur (if you hold multiple, you’ll be required to surrender all but one, except club callsigns)
Previously issued callsigns to be reused (2 years after the holder goes SK, or the licence is surrendered / revoked)
Ability to change your callsign every 2 years
New callsigns for Intermediate (M8 and M9 callsigns) – those with a 2×0 or 2×1 will be encouraged to change (but not forced)
Regional Secondary Locators (Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, etc) to become optional
England can optionally have an “E” as a Regional Secondary Locator (e.g. ME7QQ or M0QQQ)
Dropping /P, /M, /A and /MM from the licence. These suffixes will still be allowed, and you can use any suffixes you like
Introduction of limited airborne use (max 0.5 watts) on some bands
Simplifications around GB special event station callsigns
Greater supervision permissions to help promote the hobby
Simpler rules on use of hotspots and connection via Internet
Simpler rules for setting up and running beacons, gateways and repeaters
Foundation construction to be allowed
Foundation to get access to 2.4GHz and 5GHz allocations

Closing date for submissions to Ofcom: 4th September, with a statement on the proposal expected by the end of 2023

https://www.essexham.co.uk/ofcom-2023-consultation.html
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

More confusion to the already stupid system, should have 2 exams foundation rolled into intermediate and full, as for progression well my advise is don't waste your time unless you want to operate from spain etc on holiday and no doubt that will be relaxed soon.
M5AKA
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M5AKA

Post by M5AKA »

No problem with Foundation operating overseas they've been doing it for 20 years. All you do is email the communications regulator in the country you are visiting and ask. When you've got permission all you do is you sign the country prefix in front of your own callsign, so F/M7ABC if in France
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

Actually, I thought it rather an indication that OFCOM do see befits to ham radio, and clearly don;t have much grief with it, other than the paperwork - so automating the usual requests makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking maybe I can remotely control some kits at home (on a hill) from the office (at sea level).
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Hmm, interesting proposals, especially for foundation licence holders who may gain a bit more power and freedom (more band access and self build equipment) However on the power output front I think 50 watts for FLH's and something like 200 watts for ILH's would be more in keeping with the times but just my opinion.

As for changing your call sign now and again I don't know what the benefit of doing that would be, seems pointless and unnecessary to me.

All the other stuff, guess it depends what others think and the feedback Ofcom get about.

See what comes out when it's all done and dusted.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

In the other bands, particularly the business bands, licence trading has been a useful thing for a while now - so my guess is people being able to easily 'collect' older callsigns that are unused. Not something I've wanted for myself, but clubs could get callsigns that matched better, people could get rid of the ones that are difficult to say for foreign people - that kind of thing. They didn't mention callsign swaps would be free .........
NicolaJayne
Regular
Regular

Post by NicolaJayne »

LondonCbRadio wrote: 24 Jun 2023, 10:11 So what will the power increase be for the foundation and intermediate ?
Foundation to 20w

Intermediate to 100w

apart from the sections of the bandplan rthat have lower limits for everyone anyway
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I don't understand why anyone would want to change their callsign every couple of year (page 30 of the PDF). Why would Ofcom even offer this? It will lead to confusion and accusations of piracy at the very least.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
MH14
Regular
Regular

Post by MH14 »

The proposal has a minimum two year period (see 4.41 on page 30).

I actually quite like the idea though :-D
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

MH14 wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 07:43 The proposal has a minimum two year period (see 4.41 on page 30).

I actually quite like the idea though :-D
But why? A callsign is not only a way of identifying yourself on the air, it's a matter of pride. I wouldn't dream of changing mine!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

There must be a demand for it, or they wouldn't offer it I suppose. Each to their own....
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
MH14
Regular
Regular

Post by MH14 »

Andy wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 08:27 But why? A callsign is not only a way of identifying yourself on the air, it's a matter of pride. I wouldn't dream of changing mine!
Prior to the current three tier licensing system, amateur radio operators got given a callsign. One couldn’t reserve a callsign unless it was dam close to being issued. Callsigns back then were always issued in order, AAA, AAB, AAC, and so on.

When the RAE was superseded by that current three tier system. Newly licensed amateurs could also reserve a call. E.g foundation holders could be M3xxx at the time (where xxx was their choice if it hadn’t already been issued).

License holders from the old RAE (or before) days have never had that 'privilege' (excluding a deceased family member call). Why shouldn't they also be able to select a more ‘personalised’ callsign if they wish to do so now.

In America, they have had a vanity call sign option for a while. Where for a fee you can select a different more personalised call. Ofcom should have done the same here years ago. To all who requested a call. Be it to a newly licensed holder, or, someone already holding one.

Long time coming. Assuming it comes to fruition.