Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Re: Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

Post by Transwarp »

@Whiskey1
Quite simply because there's a wider audience than just 'the establishment'. It's like saying cyclists are not entitled to give their input on highway consultations. CB'bers don't use the same frequencies as amateurs, but they use the spectrum just the same. It's about airing views of fellow spectrum users, Ofcom may not want or require it on this specific consultation but they could be courteous and say thanks to those who take the time to contact them.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
KB312
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: KB312

Post by KB312 »

Transwarp wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 19:05
KB312 wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 10:47 well here is my two penneth.
I am personally very disappointed with Ofcom. To start they have consulted ONLY licensed users. I am aware that they have had more than enough communication from non licensed users (CB) about their concerns and idea’s for the future and they have ignored all there communication to my knowledge. Even many licensed users have expressed on social media that they are pulling out their hair about this issue that they think the whole situation is outdated.
I myself have written to Ofcom with no reply! My belief is that eventually the radio community and hobby will suffer a brain drain in the next 5 to 10 years for obvious reasons regarding lifespan. From the data (2021) the licenses users under 21 years of age are 0.32%.
So the hobby and the license needs to modernize to introduce new users or radio use will become extinct.
I get your points about having input regardless if a ham radio operator or a CB / scanner / shortwave user, it's all radio after all, and if enough folk take the time to give their feedback to Ofcom it would be the courteous thing to do to at least respond back to them.

I've long had the opinion that the hobby is dwindling and becoming less geared towards the essence of the hobby and more about new tech and contesting, and mucking about with cheap radios on repeaters on the other end of the scale.

HF is getting harder to use in many areas because of the various forms of interference and noise levels caused by modern electronics, and so the shine of it all as a whole has dulled very much for me, and for others l think.

Nothing stays the same forever and this consultation won't be the last l don't think, they'll be more of the same / similar l'm sure in the future to keep (well try to anyway) pace with changes, that's the way of things. I don't bother about such, it's just a hobby / pastime after all and l can take or leave it, not something I'll lose sleep over anyway :thumbup:
Thanks for the positive comments.
I suppose I should have added this link to the document in question.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... ensees.pdf

the numbers for 2021 are troublesome to view. In 20 years will there be anyone left to keep to airways open for use. Unlike 11m which is packed following the covid surge. The RSGB took on 1,400 new members. 400 were old lapsed members and little of the new ones were under 21 years old.

Regards Bob.
Bob - KB312.
Old to the Hobby but new to the game!
CB, SSB, PMR446 & Network Radio
KB312
Regular
Regular

Post by KB312 »

Whisky1 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 18:26
KB312 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 18:20
Whisky1 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 18:01

I read the whole lot...........again what do you suggest ? and what makes you think not being licensed gives anyone the right to have a input Bob into something they are not a part of.
Got your original rely “suit yourself 73”. I think that was the best respond you should have stuck with.
Id send you a QSL but your signal is 0 and your over modding as usual.
Again Goodbye.
I edited it to try and get a response of reason from you and maybe a debate.
Your blocked!
Bob - KB312.
KB312
Regular
Regular

Post by KB312 »

KB312 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 20:18
I am personally very disappointed with Ofcom. To start they have consulted ONLY licensed users. I am aware that they have had more than enough communication from non licensed users (CB) about their concerns and idea’s for the future and they have ignored all there communication to my knowledge. Even many licensed users have expressed on social media that they are pulling out their hair about this issue that they think the whole situation is outdated.
I myself have written to Ofcom with no reply! My belief is that eventually the radio community and hobby will suffer a brain drain in the next 5 to 10 years for obvious reasons regarding lifespan. From the data (2021) the licenses users under 21 years of age are 0.32%.
So the hobby and the license needs to modernize to introduce new users or radio use will become extinct.
I get your points about having input regardless if a ham radio operator or a CB / scanner / shortwave user, it's all radio after all, and if enough folk take the time to give their feedback to Ofcom it would be the courteous thing to do to at least respond back to them.

I've long had the opinion that the hobby is dwindling and becoming less geared towards the essence of the hobby and more about new tech and contesting, and mucking about with cheap radios on repeaters on the other end of the scale.

HF is getting harder to use in many areas because of the various forms of interference and noise levels caused by modern electronics, and so the shine of it all as a whole has dulled very much for me, and for others l think.

Nothing stays the same forever and this consultation won't be the last l don't think, they'll be more of the same / similar l'm sure in the future to keep (well try to anyway) pace with changes, that's the way of things. I don't bother about such, it's just a hobby / pastime after all and l can take or leave it, not something I'll lose sleep over anyway :thumbup:

the numbers for 2021 are troublesome to view. In 20 years will there be anyone left to keep to airways open for use. Unlike 11m which is packed following the covid surge. The RSGB took on 1,400 new members. 400 were old lapsed members and little of the new ones were under 21 years old.

You have to dig in and research the issues non licensed people have expressed to Ofcom, which are pretty worrying but I wont mention them on here as people will just shoot the messenger.

Regards Bob.
Bob - KB312.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

Transwarp wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 19:35 @Whiskey1
Quite simply because there's a wider audience than just 'the establishment'. It's like saying cyclists are not entitled to give their input on highway consultations. CB'bers don't use the same frequencies as amateurs, but they use the spectrum just the same. It's about airing views of fellow spectrum users, Ofcom may not want or require it on this specific consultation but they could be courteous and say thanks to those who take the time to contact them.
Well that is a matter of opinion, the consultation was open to those that hold a license and no one else, so a non licensed radio ops input is irrelevant and I am sure you know that the consultation was only open to those with a ticket or the establishment as you put it.
Yes a simple reply to anyone who contacts ofcom would be courteous but you know that is not how they work, and for the record I enjoy my cb but expecting those that regulate to reply to someone who is not even licensed is ludicrous at best when many of us can not even get a visit when we need help regards interference.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

KB312 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 20:19
Whisky1 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 18:26
KB312 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 18:20

Got your original rely “suit yourself 73”. I think that was the best respond you should have stuck with.
Id send you a QSL but your signal is 0 and your over modding as usual.
Again Goodbye.
I edited it to try and get a response of reason from you and maybe a debate.
Your blocked!
Get a grip.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

Regards Bob.
Proves old people Rock LOL.......are you actually licensed ? Troublesome for who?
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Whisky1 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 20:32
Well that is a matter of opinion, the consultation was open to those that hold a license and no one else, so a non licensed radio ops input is irrelevant and I am sure you know that the consultation was only open to those with a ticket or the establishment as you put it.
Yes a simple reply to anyone who contacts ofcom would be courteous but you know that is not how they work, and for the record I enjoy my cb but expecting those that regulate to reply to someone who is not even licensed is ludicrous at best when many of us can not even get a visit when we need help regards interference.
Correct, it's all about opinions and viewpoints, right or wrong, agree / disagree, that's what makes the world go around.

As for interference, yep pretty much on your own with that - unless it's you causing the interference - then you'll get the visit, but not the one you wanted from them. Go figure then.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

Transwarp wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 21:34
Whisky1 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 20:32
Correct, it's all about opinions and viewpoints, right or wrong, agree / disagree, that's what makes the world go around.

As for interference, yep pretty much on your own with that - unless it's you causing the interference - then you'll get the visit, but not the one you wanted. Go figure then.
Go figure the right the have a voice in the very consultation we debate about :D
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

KB312 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 20:26

You have to dig in and research the issues non licensed people have expressed to Ofcom, which are pretty worrying but I wont mention them on here as people will just shoot the messenger.

Regards Bob.
It's a radio forum friend, post away, anybody shooting / gunning have only got blanks so don't worry about it :D
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

Transwarp wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 21:52

Regards Bob.
It's a radio forum friend, post away, anybody shooting / gunning have only got blanks so don't worry about it :D
No one is shooting or using blanks what I posted just honest opinions take it or leave it, but knowing you from experience and playing the victim on this very forum I doubt you will ever worry about it while you bait for the response you want to get an individual banned on on here as you have a track record for it when it comes to license class and it is so obvious to read like a bad stench if I'm honest.
End of debate as I like this forum 73 to you and the other one on this one I'm clear.
KB312
Regular
Regular

Post by KB312 »

Whisky1 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 22:19
No one is shooting or using blanks what I posted just honest opinions take it or leave it, but knowing you from experience and playing the victim on this very forum I doubt you will ever worry about it while you bait for the response you want to get an individual banned on on here as you have a track record for it when it comes to license class and it is so obvious to read like a bad stench if I'm honest.
End of debate as I like this forum 73 to you and the other one on this one I'm clear.
Who do you think you are?
God you dont get the message do you! No one want to exchange with you because you opinionated, disrespectful and you dont know when to stop.
“end of debate”. WOW you have a big ego and you like to massage it frequently. I have checked most of your posts and people dont really like you and they all keep being as respectful as possible to try and get the message through they they dont want to talk to you, but you just keep going.
I imagine that this is a reflection of your personal life. Move forward and improve.
Bob - KB312.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Please keep the thread civil, If i need to intervene in this thread again i will be issuing warnings
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
KB312
Regular
Regular

Post by KB312 »

Buick Mackane wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 09:55 Please keep the thread civil, If i need to intervene in this thread again i will be issuing warnings
two reports about this guy have already been submitted to the forum moderators with no resolve. Please action.
Bob - KB312.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Whisky1 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 22:19
Many thanks. I'll take your vexatious comments as a personal attack on myself and thus flaming.