What is a great scanner Aerial ?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Allan666
Call Sign: G0CRB

What is a great scanner Aerial ?

Post by Allan666 »

Hi, Now I have owned Radio Scanners now for many years and over those years I have tried so many Aerials of different types. Now the worst were Discones I have tried at least 4 or 5 different makes and all were next to useless. So next were those silly vertical Aerial which are about 3 or 4 feet long. So what have I been using for around 20 years. A white vertical ham aerial a tri-band for 50/144/430l around 6 feet long and the worked best of all..... However, I need now to replace it..
My Question to other radio scanner users after all these years there must now be some really good Aerials on the market, what do you use ? Within reason, I don't care about the price so long as it receives fantastic, it will be mounted on top of my roof. I have several Scanners, with the latest being a AOR DV-1.............................What Aerial do you use ????
If the problen cant be sorted with a "LUMP-HAMMER" then its most likely to be an Electrical fault
DuncanM

Re: What is a great scanner Aerial ?

Post by DuncanM »

I have a Skyscan on a metal shed roof that pulls in just as good as my Diamond X50-N on a pole about the same height as the Skyscan. If your antenna is high up and clear of rooftops you don't really need to go overboard. I have a varied selection of whips and stubbies as well, Watsons, Nagoya's and Moonrakers etc. Asking which is best is also like asking how long is a piece of string. The radio and the coax inbetween are also factors on reception.