CB Shops from back in the day

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Buick Mackane

CB Shops from back in the day

Post by Buick Mackane »

Inspired by sammies thread i thought i'd post about some of the ones i remember, Probably more relevant to scottish members, Roger Dodger, Had a shop in carluke and one in wishaw, His main business was a wedding photographer, CB was just a side line, His shop in carluke was there for years after it closed, Derelict,

And temples tyre and exhaust centre on sandy road carluke, Angus was his name, As above CB was just a way of making some extra bucks,

Anybody recall these shops ?
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: CB Shops from back in the day

Post by Auldgeek »

I remember Temples. In a previous life, I worked in Carluke for about 9 months and remember visiting there a few times. Don't recall Roger Dodgers though.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Auldgeek wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 20:23 I remember Temples. In a previous life, I worked in Carluke for about 9 months and remember visiting there a few times. Don't recall Roger Dodgers though.
Aye he kept an audioline 341 on his counter, Was always on, Was an avid listener but rarely spoke other than to give you a rig check
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

The CB shops were a centre of the radio community. The ones that did well were the one where people went in to chat with others, and the ones that failed were the ones who had radios but no customers. The whole CB thing from the first convoy days was about community. It’s the same thing with ham radio clubs, but rarely did they ever have a shop linked. In fairness, ham prices were crazily expensive compared to CB. With a weeks wages for the cheapest radio, and maybe two months wages for the posh stuff, shops for this would have been pointless. CB shops were great places. It didn’t matter if you were a doctor or lorry driver, lived in a Council house or a big detached home of your own, CB brought people together via the local shop!
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

Where I lived we had a few different places to go for CB stuff such as supertech who had 3 shops goffs who sold cept CB radios and antennas, then Dixon's electronic CB shop in Gateshead, birtley CB shop for back of the A1/m services fisher's communication's at Stanhope and good buddies at shildon and then the huge amount of Tandy shop's as well
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Edd200sx »

Farnborough comms. Breakers world. Two local ones I remember
DELETE MY ACCOUNT
Hair Bear
Regular
Regular

Post by Hair Bear »

Edd200sx wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 12:18 Farnborough comms. Breakers world. Two local ones I remember
Ah yes, Metal Mickey at Farnborough comm.
Keith from Breakers World passed several years ago, I think Maggie's still about. Don't know what happened to Mitch though.
One person in ten understands binary, the other one doesn't.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Cheers for the replies folks, Regarding CB being Community based yes it certainly was / is, But now reduced to a small band of anoraks hankering for the glory days of our youth. niche hobby, But it's our bag so who cares.

It's similar to TV Repair shops, All but gone, Chuck away society, TV manufacturers don't want their TV's to be fixed, Hence they don't supply schematics..Plastic bin fodder.
bitbang
Regular
Regular

Post by bitbang »

Temples up in Carluke, he used to wire up your bleep to choc block on the counter and test before saying no returns if you blow it up fitting it. Still have a Cybernet book purchased back in the 80's with price tag of £5.50!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Edd200sx »

Hair Bear wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 15:02
Edd200sx wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 12:18 Farnborough comms. Breakers world. Two local ones I remember
Ah yes, Metal Mickey at Farnborough comm.
Keith from Breakers World passed several years ago, I think Maggie's still about. Don't know what happened to Mitch though.
Maggie did not last a lot longer than Keith as far as I was told.
Not sure about Mitch either

What area you in
DELETE MY ACCOUNT
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

My Local CB shop was at Birtley, on the road behind the Washington Services on the A1. Bev was always welcoming and all those who visited the shop were always friendly and good for info. It latterly became a sort of Radio Club and I did a lot of work there towards upgrading my own call.

I remember peddling home from there with two 10ft scaff poles strapped to my bike one day! haha.

The shop is long-closed, but the antennas still live on the site of the building. I am sure the new owners would welcome anyone willing to take them down and take them away for free.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

Aye, I might pay them a visit.

Did you meet Eddie who used to work in the shop before bev
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
Hair Bear
Regular
Regular

Post by Hair Bear »

There was one called 'Ferns' in Badshot Lea, also one on Lower Brook St. in Winchester, but the name escapes me.
One person in ten understands binary, the other one doesn't.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

lambrettadave wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 18:19 Aye, I might pay them a visit.

Did you meet Eddie who used to work in the shop before bev
I don;t remember an Eddie, just Bev. I think I was there around the time he went Biking across America, he loved his big motorcycles. Not sure what ever happened to him or the shop. I thought he had left it to other members of the club to run, so unsure why it closed in the end.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

In Leeds we had a few good CB shops.. Double Dutch nr the Shaftesbury Pub was my local...Super Slab in Ardsley, Eyeball Electronics on Oldfield Lane, Michelle's on Hunslet Road...
It was a treat to take a ride up to Double Dutch n buy summat as back in the day my bikes came first.

Anyone remember a CB shop in Saltburn??? Narrow but tall if memory serves me well?