G callsigns for those passing Full exam

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: G callsigns for those passing Full exam

Post by paulears »

I love the idea of tattoos, I wonder if people get their TV licence number on their arm, to show their support for the BBC? in the 20 year gap in my ham activity, all the 2 and M prefixes appeared and when I dusted a radio off, I was totally confused which was which when I spoke to people. I concluded I really didn’t even need to know. Since then, I have placed a lot less emphasis on licence type and far more on what kind of person they are.

The only thing choosing calls can do for you is make yours easier to understand at the other end. W is a terrible letter that always needs phonetics. A friend had W, Q and L in his and it was always received wrong, unless he swapped to phonetics. I discovered success in any busy band was better with radio, Mexico, Texas, than Romeo, Mike, tango, so you just need to make sure a call works properly. Snob value will always win. Surprising how so many people have Icom radios and far less have Baofengs on air!
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Re: G callsigns for those passing Full exam

Post by Transwarp »

paulears wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 08:58 I have placed a lot less emphasis on licence type and far more on what kind of person they are.
And that stance I couldn't agree with more. Indeed it is about people and how they are, something quite a few in the hobby I've come across fail to grasp because they have a self entitled attitude in general.

You know I'm not harking back to the 'good old days' when I say this, because I'm more than aware things don't remain the same for long and change has to happen, but when CB was at it's peak in the 80's and still quite busy in the 90's, folk were all the same. Sure there was those who had the big sidebanders with the Astatic silver eagle mics, Avanti home base antennas, maybe a linear and some other bells and whistles, then another person not too far away with just a basic 40 channel FM rig with a simple GP27 antenna or something, all though were treated the same, had some laughs and that, no class status evident.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.