Colour Codes on Rubber Antenna

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
G1LSK
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G1LSK

Colour Codes on Rubber Antenna

Post by G1LSK »

Hi there. I wonder if anyone else has noticed colour codes on Rubber Antenna and if anyone knows what they mean?
I assume it's to do with the frequency coverage but it would be interesting to have a list.

I have 3 antennae at the moment that have codes on them, one is quite around 9 inches long and around half an inch thick, this one has a RED dot on the top of the cap.

The other 2 are colour coded on the base of the antenna where the SMA connector is. 1 has a PINK base and is around 6 inches long and only a few millimetres thick so probably UHF somewhere. The other has a BLUE base and is 6.5 inches long and a quarter of an inch thick, possibly a VHF one.

Any ideas out there?

Ian
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: Colour Codes on Rubber Antenna

Post by Metradio »

Years ago Motorola used to colour code their portable aerials to denote what band they were for. My listing was lost a few years back..
Also Panorama used to put a blue ring of heat shrink sleeving on their portable aerials with the operating frequency printed on it..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
G1LSK
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G1LSK

Re: Colour Codes on Rubber Antenna

Post by G1LSK »

Metradio wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 14:27 Years ago Motorola used to colour code their portable aerials to denote what band they were for. My listing was lost a few years back..
Also Panorama used to put a blue ring of heat shrink sleeving on their portable aerials with the operating frequency printed on it..

Mike
Hi Mike
Yes I've seen the Blue Shrink Wrap type - in fact I've got one which is for the low band VHF (70+ Mhz) band. These are either dots on the cap at the top of the antenna or on the newer type with SMA connectors, they use a colour coding on the outer ring of the SMA connector.