Dual control info required for Cobra 29LX Radios please.

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Dual control info required for Cobra 29LX Radios please.

Post by The Collector » 16 Apr 2019, 20:51

I'm in need of one of these dual-pot controls (vol/Sq) from the 29LX EU radios. It won't turn the radio off when it clicks and I'm not confident enough to strip the thing to see if I can find the problem.

Anyone know where to get one from as the only ones I can find are out of stock and in the US?

I've also read that there's an alternative/better type to get which can help with the quieter volume issue these are known for - linear vs other type??? Anyone know what this better type is?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cb4ever104
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dual control info required for Cobra 29LX Radios please.

Post by cb4ever104 » 17 Apr 2019, 09:48

Is there no makers stamp on it anywhere ? You should be able to find a replacement on Alibaba somewhere .

If not , then I'd strip it down . If you're not comfortable doing this , then maybe send it to Nick ? Last option for me would be to substitute it with one from an old 360FM , or similar . The only problem with that would be that your original knobs won't fit . Maybe get some older style black ones from a Grant , or Jackson ?
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 17 Apr 2019, 17:05

I couldn't see a brand on it Sammy, although I could try a dentist's mirror to see underneath (or simply unscrew it a bit and carefully spin it around ;) ).

Knights don't stock them and 2 sites in the US are out of stock.

I was planning to send it off for repair anyway, but was hoping to get the control to send with it as I can see they're a pain to get hold of. I could try having a go, but would probably balls it up with my ham-fisted attempts at soldering!

If I can't get one and did decide to disassemble it (reminds me of the film "Short Circuit"), what am I looking for that would perhaps stop the click point from switching it off?

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 17 Apr 2019, 19:40

I took the nut off and popped the control out and all it says on the back face is "Taiwan" and the word "Alpha" underneath it, both in block capitals. Whether or not this is a brand though I'm not sure.

14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 » 17 Apr 2019, 19:44

Hello

Please look at this link

http://radiowork.fr/F_frame.html?http:/ ... t_406.html

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 17 Apr 2019, 21:15

Thanks Claude ;)

I'd like to keep it original rather than pop in another type which may require different knobs to be honest.

I found a site called mouser.co.uk via Google which has almost identical controls, but I just couldn't find a 50k dual with D-shaped shafts with a rotary on/off switch, only push ones. The push version would do nicely actually (as the volume could then be left at about the right level all the time, so that'd be a bonus), but I'd be worried that the wiring would be different and I couldn't cope. If the wiring is the same, I'll plump for that one instead.

Any idea if it's pheasable?

cb4ever104
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cb4ever104 » 18 Apr 2019, 10:39

I've found the maker .

http://www.taiwanalpha.com/en/products/4

It might be this one .

http://www.taiwanalpha.com/downloads?ta ... cts&id=121

The problem is that there's about 1000 variations , with different lengths , shaft types etc . I had the same problems with a similar switch . I never did find a direct replacement for mine .

Anyway . Send them an email with a photo of it and see how you get on .

S.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 18 Apr 2019, 16:36

:thumbup: Cheers Sammy, I'll get measuring.

I might order one of the push-on ones too I mentioned (if it's the right size) as I do like the thought of its ease of use and the fact I won't have to pi$$ about with the tiddly-fiddly knob. They're only about £3 plus postage so what the heck.

If it fails, or won't work because I buggered up the wiring, I'll contact Alpha and give them the spec's on this Cobra one.

Cheers all.

14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 » 18 Apr 2019, 20:33

Hello

Here

https://www.wearecb.com/008016-on-off-v ... xnwst.html

Cobra
008016 - Cobra CB Radio On/Off Volume/Squelch Potentiometer
Availability: In stock

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 18 Apr 2019, 21:13

Thanks Claude, it was showing as out of stock 2 days ago so they've probably had some in.

I've just tried putting my details in and it won't allow me to change the country to the UK so I can't get a postage price. Typical. The internet hates me! ;)

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 20 Apr 2019, 20:54

Tried again tonight...no joy. Got further by using a different way onto the site (through an older pricelist) but to no avail:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 » 20 Apr 2019, 21:25

Hello

Test

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 21 Apr 2019, 18:06

I can get that page Claude thanks, but when I go to checkout and put all my details in, it doesn't open the drop-down menu to select the UK, it say either "select country" or "US" and it wont change country. I've emailed them for a price incl. P&P.

I told you, the internet hates me :)

I quite often fill in forms that won't proceed any further because it says my email address is wrong, when it isn't.

My car insurance had to be done over the phone because of this issue and I fought with them to get the "online booking" discount as their site was at fault.

I also tried to get on a site to load my pictures on so I can just link to them, but again it wouldn't accept my email address, all typed in correctly and not using copy&paste as I know that can cause a problem. I refuse to change it as I've used it for about 28 years and it was an early hotmail.com one.

14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 » 21 Apr 2019, 19:42

Hello

I used a hotmail address a long time ago but advantageously replaced by a Gmail address because searchable and usable everywhere from any computer or wifi phone

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 21 Apr 2019, 19:58

Well, CB World got back to me and apologised as they don't ship to the UK (although earlier form did let you select the UK as per my photo), so I'm back to square one.

The one I'd prever is this one (if it'd physically fit and the knobs slide on ok):

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... %252B7nIw=

...but they don't keep them in stock and it's a minimum 500 units per order. Bugger.

I might end up having to take the control apart carefully and see why it's not switching on/off if I can't get a replacement that the original knobs will fit.

You don't get this problem on Fidelity 1000's!