What's your fave old school multimode radio

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Cousinjack

Re: What's your fave old school multimode radio

Post by Cousinjack »

I've a real hankering for a 148 and a midland 7001 :D
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Has to be the Cobra 148 GTL DX MK2.. That was my first multi mode and I was introduced to Mr Nugent , dropped it off to Plaistow East London and had it modded with a nice black front etc.... I also bought a BNIB MK1 ... I never really swapped around after that ... They were with me for years.

I had swapped from a Colt 720 DX Black Shadow and a Binatone 5 star which I got later on to match .... But once swapped on To the Cobras and a Uniden Uniace 200..I didn’t change... My pal had a Madison that I just loved but never had one till later years..

I’ve been through radios like water... I keep going back to the President Adams (modified) lo,mid,hi fm etc.. and love it , Along with the President George I find them the best for picking out what I can’t hear on others..

Which at the moment are a NATO 2000 and President Lincoln 2 +... In order of what I rate best ‘ears’ Etc George,Adams , NATO , Lincoln....

The only reason the Lincoln stays ( at the moment ) is because it has 10 and 12m too..... but all in all the ‘new breed’ of radios are not really my thing ...

Looking for a clean Cobra but the prices are just not justifiable... But when I do find one I’ll keep it , even if it is only for nostalgia.. ;)

J
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The George is a terrific radio but it has two flaws which meant I didn't keep mine for long.

AGC issues which cause front end overload on strong SSB signals, and unlike the Jacko this isn't easy to cure. This was my greatest irritation.

The second flaw is that you cannot get them exactly onto UK channels, unless you are willing to accept 4 watts output and loads of button pressing, or unlock the clarifier.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Mudslinger wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 10:22 The George is a terrific radio but it has two flaws which meant I didn't keep mine for long.

AGC issues which cause front end overload on strong SSB signals, and unlike the Jacko this isn't easy to cure. This was my greatest irritation.

The second flaw is that you cannot get them exactly onto UK channels, unless you are willing to accept 4 watts output and loads of button pressing, or unlock the clarifier.
As far as I'm aware the AGC issue was fixed on later revisions. Also, I bought my George brand new from Knights in 2001 (which makes it a very late build) and the clarifier tracks both TX & RX.

Well ahead of their time in regards to the multi region functionality. Also a very attractive radio.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I briefly had a George FM. Receiver was really good, no AGC issue but the requirement to enter an unlock code every time you switched it on was a pain and I ended up selling it.

Sometimes, I regret parting with it.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

My George has the FM sticker on it .. As for build year I don’t know how to tell... But this is my third and like the Adams I keep going back to them ... Agc issues..? I find it fine...Super sleek looking radio and good memories too... Works a treat on FM as well as SSB and AM.. I keep switching around radios but the George and Adams are my go to radios.... I’m trying to limit myself to three radios but currently have four .. ;-).. You know how it is..lol.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

The Collector wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 17:09
Nowadays, with Mr.Weety's drinking habit, it's usually HIM that you'll find propped up against the fence in his back garden ;)
ITS TRUE! :lol: :lol: :lol:

26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

astradyne wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 11:42
Mudslinger wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 10:22 The George is a terrific radio but it has two flaws which meant I didn't keep mine for long.

As far as I'm aware the AGC issue was fixed on later revisions. Also, I bought my George brand new from Knights in 2001 (which makes it a very late build) and the clarifier tracks both TX & RX.

Well ahead of their time in regards to the multi region functionality. Also a very attractive radio.

I have had three and they all suffered the AGC fault. One of them was a later one as well. I also had the same problem with a Grant 2.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.