ANTENNAS FOR SCANNING?

Scanning radio frequencies for East Anglia
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

ANTENNAS FOR SCANNING?

Post by WARLOCK »

What do you think is the best indoor antenna for everyday scanning 30mhz to 453.mhz also the best outdoor antenna ,
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

RE: ANTENNAS FOR SCANNING?

Post by kc »

I have not used enough different antennas to know what the best are, but I find that my Amateur tri band colinear does better as a scanner antenna than the discones I have tried & I often use a very long (about 4 foot I think it is,) telescopic antenna that I got from Rocket & I can hear a very good 90 - 95% of my programed channels on the whip that I can hear on the colinear & it's only where a signal is weak on the colinear that I loose it on the indoor whip, so I would say that is very good.
Personally I do not often listen to frequencies below airband, other than fire service channels. I use to listen to the portable phones on 31Mhz, but I do not often hear them now & I do have my local 6 meter repeater in the channels, but never hear any activity & the same with 4 meter FM, I hear nothing so other than the odd band scan of low PMR I do not log very much at all below airband.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX