Power on finals output.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
User avatar
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2675
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 21:26
Call Sign: 26TM413
Location: South East Coast UK.

Power on finals output.

Post by sureshot » 15 Apr 2018, 11:55

Just a general question on a radios power output. A local guy sold another breaker a multimode anytone, the recipient is some what gullible, simple lad really. The seller told him the radio puts out 75 watts bare foot, straight out the back of the radio. FM AM SSB. Those in the know ! Is that possible with the right pre driver and FET finals ? I'm just curious as i don't think the stock heatsink can handle 75 watts of power. What is the maximum power an anytone can be pushed up to ?
Thoughts from those that know...
CB call. Shipwreck.

User avatar
astradyne
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7252
Joined: 14 Jun 2010, 09:28
Location: Dunny On The Wolds
Contact:

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by astradyne » 15 Apr 2018, 12:19

I think the guy who sold the lad that radio was taking the p!ss. An Anyclone wouldn't be able to provide or cope with that kind of output. 40W is around the maximum these will provide, and even that's way too much. Heat issues and blown finals are a testament to this. The radio simply isn't designed to do that much power, let alone 75W.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...

User avatar
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 632
Joined: 13 Jan 2010, 20:20
Call Sign: 26EY49G7xxx
Location: East Kent

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by radio pete » 15 Apr 2018, 18:36

more like 7.5 W from a anytone

User avatar
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2675
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 21:26
Call Sign: 26TM413
Location: South East Coast UK.

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by sureshot » 15 Apr 2018, 19:01

Thanks for the replys, I had a suspision it was to much to be true. I know there are FET's capable of many watts / Amps, but not that high in the anytone radio.
I thought 40 watts was about the max, but even that's daft.
Thanks for the info.
CB call. Shipwreck.

sonoma
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 04:12

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by sonoma » 16 Apr 2018, 00:00

I have seen guys turn the power meter up on what ever meter they use to make it look like it is putting out more watts. a guy here in the US at one time was doing mods at a truck stop. he claimed higher out puts on radios. I had a radio that I had tuned and he was doing free test out of his truck. so I took mine to him and he said it was doing good. he was getting 65 watts out of his setup with a single final cobra 29 radio. so that was how he showed more out put. on my gear all I was showing was 20 watts with a whistle into the mic.

User avatar
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2675
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 21:26
Call Sign: 26TM413
Location: South East Coast UK.

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by sureshot » 16 Apr 2018, 10:01

sonoma wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 00:00
I have seen guys turn the power meter up on what ever meter they use to make it look like it is putting out more watts. a guy here in the US at one time was doing mods at a truck stop. he claimed higher out puts on radios. I had a radio that I had tuned and he was doing free test out of his truck. so I took mine to him and he said it was doing good. he was getting 65 watts out of his setup with a single final cobra 29 radio. so that was how he showed more out put. on my gear all I was showing was 20 watts with a whistle into the mic.
Yes, i think the local seller to me sold it to the gullible lad thinking he will never know. Funny thing is, his always running the lad he sold the radio to down. Regardless of anyones IQ i hate hearing people being run down.

This local unpleasant breaker is an amateur 2E0 i think, but fallen from grace now. I've got a radio in the living room and the language is terrible. Sorry to go slightly off topic. Just annoyed that the guy kind of got fed a load of nonsense and bought this radio. I don't intend on stepping in at the moment. Just sad to know that someone can take advantage of someones simpleness.
CB call. Shipwreck.

lbcomms
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 253
Joined: 04 Oct 2015, 08:10
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by lbcomms » 16 Apr 2018, 13:00

sonoma wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 00:00
I have seen guys turn the power meter up on what ever meter they use to make it look like it is putting out more watts
Another trick we used to see when 27MHz was a big thing here was hack shops bypassing or removing components from the filter stage between the final and the antenna socket - in addition to defeating limiters. Power meter reading looks very impressive, AM sets 20W+ on peaks and some SSB radios showing close to 50. But sounds terrible on air, like a cheap transistor radio turned up to maximum volume on a strong local station.

With the reduction on 27 meg usage here and the shift to only SSB, the people doing these hackups have moved on. But we still see it here in a radio occasionally when someone buys a set hacked up decades ago and wants it putting right again...

User avatar
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2675
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 21:26
Call Sign: 26TM413
Location: South East Coast UK.

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by sureshot » 16 Apr 2018, 19:03

lbcomms wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 13:00
sonoma wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 00:00
I have seen guys turn the power meter up on what ever meter they use to make it look like it is putting out more watts
Another trick we used to see when 27MHz was a big thing here was hack shops bypassing or removing components from the filter stage between the final and the antenna socket - in addition to defeating limiters. Power meter reading looks very impressive, AM sets 20W+ on peaks and some SSB radios showing close to 50. But sounds terrible on air, like a cheap transistor radio turned up to maximum volume on a strong local station.

With the reduction on 27 meg usage here and the shift to only SSB, the people doing these hackups have moved on. But we still see it here in a radio occasionally when someone buys a set hacked up decades ago and wants it putting right again...
It's a shame radios get hacked up like that, in nice condition some radios are very sort after now days.
See what looks like silly money radios sell for, I think it's often worth it if it's that once in a life time mint condition radio you've been looking for.
CB call. Shipwreck.

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 10000
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by Admiral » 17 Apr 2018, 08:23

sureshot wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:55
A local guy sold another breaker a multimode anytone, the recipient is some what gullible, simple lad really.

**cough**, hopefully he accepts returns..
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

User avatar
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2675
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 21:26
Call Sign: 26TM413
Location: South East Coast UK.

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by sureshot » 17 Apr 2018, 10:51

Admiral wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 08:23
sureshot wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:55
A local guy sold another breaker a multimode anytone, the recipient is some what gullible, simple lad really.

**cough**, hopefully he accepts returns..
Yes indeed, that experience of mine still leaves a bitter taste :x
CB call. Shipwreck.

User avatar
Unit 148 Mobile
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 102
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 20:50
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by Unit 148 Mobile » 09 May 2018, 04:25

Sad if the above still goes on after all these years.

Of course it's best to leave the radio alone and run an external amplifier if you feel you need it.

If you are using a radio with any more than stock 4W/12W power output then it will probably pay to have your local tech adjust the output to not over-drive the amp.

CB amplifiers designed to be driven with high output radios are far and few between compared to the rest.

Unit 148

User avatar
astradyne
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7252
Joined: 14 Jun 2010, 09:28
Location: Dunny On The Wolds
Contact:

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by astradyne » 09 May 2018, 10:27

Was the radio in question returned to the seller?
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...

User avatar
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2675
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 21:26
Call Sign: 26TM413
Location: South East Coast UK.

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by sureshot » 11 May 2018, 00:18

astradyne wrote:
09 May 2018, 10:27
Was the radio in question returned to the seller?
No the lad the bought it still has it, he believes it's 75 watts output. I'm not going to ruin his day. It's sad a gulable lad can be sucked in like that. But it's nothing new in the dishonesty of the minority.
CB call. Shipwreck.

User avatar
astradyne
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7252
Joined: 14 Jun 2010, 09:28
Location: Dunny On The Wolds
Contact:

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by astradyne » 11 May 2018, 11:18

Shame on the seller who in all likelihood knew exactly what he was doing and that he was targeting a vulnerable individual. If the radio works as it should then it's not a complete loss, but it's the principle of the matter.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...

User avatar
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2675
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 21:26
Call Sign: 26TM413
Location: South East Coast UK.

Re: Power on finals output.

Post by sureshot » 12 May 2018, 10:21

astradyne wrote:
11 May 2018, 11:18
Shame on the seller who in all likelihood knew exactly what he was doing and that he was targeting a vulnerable individual. If the radio works as it should then it's not a complete loss, but it's the principle of the matter.
Exactly, but yes the radio seems fine for him. I couldn't take advantage of anothers vulnerabilities.
CB call. Shipwreck.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests