dodgy callsign

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: dodgy callsign

Post by kr0ne »

Were they a bad op though? Other than potentially being unlicensed, were they breaking any other rules or conventions? Causing a nuisance?

At the end of the day, pirates have been around way longer than amateurs and as with most groups there are good and bad.

Live and let live I say. Unless getting totally wound up about stuff that really doesn’t matter is what floats your boat, in which case fill your boots!
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Theres a banned ex TM1 member that also has, in my opinion a 'dodgy' callsign... Gone from a 2EO to a G8...... Dont know why he was banned off here but with his 'big i am' attitude on the wireless i can well wager it was his 'know it all knows nothing' attitude that earned him a ban
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Is it not easier to just become licenced these days as opposed to risk the chance off being caught ?! Sure it's an offence to speak to an unlicensed station so in itself it's illegal bu would surely be impossible to prove ?!

As above thou would not loose any sleep over it thou, if the guy is behaving himself on air in all other respects what harm is it to us ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

kr0ne wrote:Were they a bad op though? Other than potentially being unlicensed, were they breaking any other rules or conventions? Causing a nuisance?

At the end of the day, pirates have been around way longer than amateurs and as with most groups there are good and bad.

Live and let live I say. Unless getting totally wound up about stuff that really doesn’t matter is what floats your boat, in which case fill your boots!
I wonder if you would have the same live and let live attitude to other "hobbies", like gun ownership and use?
Sure he didn't have a gun licence, but what harm was he doing firing a few rounds of at glass bottles up the canal? :roll:
Pirates only precede "Hams", because they appeared before a licencing structure was introduced.
Yes its a nuisance, because the unwitting licenced are lead into breaking their own licensing regulations by his very actions!
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

Its no difference to a licensed ham transmitting on illegal parts of the 11mtr band ( which we all know some do and then go on CB bands acting like pratt's then in the next minute slagging off CBers saying its the Children Band ) , if the Op wasn't being a pratt and was a sensible Operator what the problem

and as for the gun comment big difference between a gun a radio :roll: never heard about anyone getting killed because of a unlicensed radio operator
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

GeeFull wrote: I wonder if you would have the same live and let live attitude to other "hobbies", like gun ownership and use?
Sure he didn't have a gun licence, but what harm was he doing firing a few rounds of at glass bottles up the canal? :roll:
Pirates only precede "Hams", because they appeared before a licencing structure was introduced.
Yes its a nuisance, because the unwitting licenced are lead into breaking their own licensing regulations by his very actions!
Oh come on! Anyone in the UK who legally owns a gun would be arrested and lose their FAC in an instant if they popped down the canal and started shooting at bottles!

If they wanted to pop down the canal and do a spot of fishing without a permit, I wouldn't really care though and I certainly wouldn't be calling the authorities.

Likewise, if they were watching TV without a license I wouldn't care although if they were driving a car without a license then I think I would.

Shades of grey and all that, you need to look at the big picture and think about what is really important.
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

while a broken law is a broken law regardless, I do agree that a well behaved pirate does little if any harm to anyone.
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

its and act, an act of parliament, its not a law. it is not an arrestable offence to contravene w&t act 2006, it is an arrestable offence to discharge a firearm in a public place without good cause so that is an analogy of a madman, most cases from ofcom against individuals are dealt with by fixed penalty notices like litter dropping because a court case against someone using a ten quid bumfeng on 2m without a licence is going to be prohibitive and not in the publics interest to pursue.

oh, and make sure your hands are clean before you point fingers Pete. radio piracy works both ways good buddy.
MW6ZAN wrote: i have been an avid radio nut since the age of 9 been through AM cb + SSB in the 1970s
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Im not a bloody good buddy mate i hate cb radio and all it stands for letting mind dead maronic idiots onto the air uncontrolled in my opinion is stupid, lets be honest i have yet to come across a cb user that sticks to the ofcom regulations and for sticking to band plans and power levels A BIG FAT HA TO YOU at least i have completed my foundation licence and working towards my intermediate i have a licence that has been given to me by the gov that lets me use specific frequencies that i stick to. Cb radio is a fad no more no less like skate boards and hoola hoops here today gone tomorrow. As far as radio pirates they should be hunted down and prosecuted and locked up min 6 months as was the way in the 1960s ofcom need to grow a pair of balls and start to clamp down on these idiots. :evil: :evil: :evil:
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

I would just like to add that unlike the 1970s when pirates using 40 ch am bog standard radio into dodgy coax to a dv27 on a biccy tin in the attic poss radiating 2.5 watts was unlikely to create the fall of humanity. Now we have pirates using amateur radio kit operating on frequencies across the spectrum vhf uhf hf they dont give a crap as to where they tx and power levels from 100 w up to 1000 w no there is a big difference between the 1970 and the totall idiots on the radio today, thing is years ago radio was a hobby be it short wave listening ,cb or amateur radio there was a path that one took from short wave possibly into cb and then moving up to amateur radio thats now dead. The reason is that who wants to move up when you have already been their done it and got the bloody tea shirt on freeband.
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

Swear all you want Pete good buddy, you have used a radio frequency in contravention to the W&T act of 1948 and now you cite people doing the same thing under the revised 2006 act, your argument is flawed and you have no credibility.
I suggest you wind your neck in a bit matey, this has nothing to do with holding a foundation ticket, it's about morals and standards, you clearly have neither, you are a hypocrite, 10-4.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

MW6ZAN wrote:Im not a bloody good buddy mate i hate cb radio and all it stands for letting mind dead maronic idiots onto the air uncontrolled in my opinion is stupid, lets be honest i have yet to come across a cb user that sticks to the ofcom regulations and for sticking to band plans and power levels A BIG FAT HA TO YOU at least i have completed my foundation licence and working towards my intermediate i have a licence that has been given to me by the gov that lets me use specific frequencies that i stick to. Cb radio is a fad no more no less like skate boards and hoola hoops here today gone tomorrow. As far as radio pirates they should be hunted down and prosecuted and locked up min 6 months as was the way in the 1960s ofcom need to grow a pair of balls and start to clamp down on these idiots. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I don't like the way your insulting CB Radio users , it is uncalled for :(
I've made more long term decent Friends there than I ever have on your bands of choice.
I don't usually get involved in these BS tit for tat threads, but I will make an exception on this one.

Your on the Ham bands with a licence which is on par with the Motorcycle CBT.
Why are you making such a big thing that you have a Foundation licence towards the other Op?
I don't agree with Pirates on the Ham bands, but starting a thread because someboby "Maybe" a Pirate and then going into a rant regarding our hobby and the people involved is unfair.

All i'm saying is keep it calm or it will be locked.

Dave.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Oggy im not having a go at people who use the bands within the law ok i used cb many years ago 3.8 watts never used a linear never caused problems, i do not use cb any more because i have grown up my comments were directed at the idiots who use cb, amateur radio who purchase cheap china specials causing problems across the bands, these are the people who think they can tx any where any time any place and run high power. I will add that in the time i was running cb i found that the majority of cb user had a linear tucked away my comments on that was in fact 100% true if i have offended any radio opps on tm1 i opologise but the facts are there for all to see if one digs deep enough and opens ones eyes. Best 73 -•-
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

MW6ZAN wrote:Oggy im not having a go at people who use the bands within the law ok i used cb many years ago 3.8 watts never used a linear never caused problems, i do not use cb any more because i have grown up my comments were directed at the idiots who use cb, amateur radio who purchase cheap china specials causing problems across the bands, these are the people who think they can tx any where any time any place and run high power. I will add that in the time i was running cb i found that the majority of cb user had a linear tucked away my comments on that was in fact 100% true if i have offended any radio opps on tm1 i opologise but the facts are there for all to see if one digs deep enough and opens ones eyes. Best 73 -•-
It's your opinion and that's what the forum is about :geek:
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

So mw6zan because you have a foundation licence in amateur radio which is only classed as a beginners licence, so in my mind that makes you a novice within the amateur radio scale , so because you have this beginners licence it make you more intelligent that someone who has been using a CB radio since 1975 like myself , so I'm a idiot to you then because I use a CB radio ? and you dont even know me or my background or any qualifications I have, so in your eyes if people use CB's they must be from a lower educational class without even knowing them :think: .... that's not very intelligent really is it ,I could say all amateur radio people are old miserable blokes with beards and stink of pi55 who wear cardigans with leather patches on them but I won't because I know it's not true not all are like that, ;) LOL, just as not all CBers are not all and I will quote you " mind dead moronic idiots" ( Oh by the way I corrected your spelling of moronic for you) TBH I thought in this modern age of radio we have got over all that Cr@p of CBer v Ham and radio is just radio considering that its a dying hobby really all round and it needs as much new blood brought in to hobby as we can get perhaps you should pull your neck in and keep comments like that to yourself or it will never change the Us v Them syndrom

Good Buddy 10 10 till we do it again