Should I go MOTOTRBO?

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Should I go MOTOTRBO?

Post by Excalibur »

So recently I've been interested in DMR and I have a TYT-MD 380 which I am very pleased with, listening to the local amateur and other services and also testing it out compared with dsd+ .

However I think I could do a lot more interesting things with two DMR capable radios, such as range testing compared to analog and interoperability.

I have been contemplating getting a MOTOTRBO radio, I understand however that these radios are a lot more expensive than other DMR radios and also you must purchase the customer programming software (cps) (instead of downloading it) and purchase an expensive programming cable, however I have found several MOTOTRBO radios such as the DP3400 which seem cheap enough but then I see the programming software is around £50! Is it worth it?

This wouldn't be for commerical applications just for testing/hobby and playing around with, so should I stick with buying a cheaper hytera which provides (I presume free?) programming software and cheaper programmign cables, or even get another TYT-MD 380.

Any advise is appreciated.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Should I go MOTOTRBO?

Post by Admiral »

On the DMR, you could always use your 380 mobile and DSD+ at home to do the range testing to save buying another DMR set.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

Admiral wrote:On the DMR, you could always use your 380 mobile and DSD+ at home to do the range testing to save buying another DMR set.
Was thinking this, However I use the RTL SDR with my dsd+ software and it's proven to be less than sensitive than a hardware radio (even my baofeng is more sensitive), Also having another DMR radio will be good to compare the TYT to another brand/model of DMR radio.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

I think it is definitely worth getting another proper digital radio rather than relying on DSD if you want to do range testing. DSD is generally not as good at decoding as a proper radio is.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification