cb dipole

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
handyguy2002

cb dipole

Post by handyguy2002 »

Hi guys. I have an idea but dont know if it will work.

Anyway here goes.. i came across some electrical wiring one you us for wall sockets. I have made a cb antenna dipole round about 18foot swr is fine..
What I want to do is. Could i wrap my dipole around plastic pipe to to make antenna smaller and save space.
If so what would the maximum lenth of pipe would i need and diameter of pipe could i use.
Binatone 950
QuanSheng TG-UV2
TYT 380 + TYT 9600
Kirisun S780
Uniden +BCT15x + BCD396t +BCD536 hp
HYTERA PD505
WHISTLER TRX2
lincbob
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0FTJ

Re: cb dipole

Post by lincbob »

if you have space for radials then a quarter wave would call for around 102" of wire for the vertical element and four radials at around 104". That would give you a nice 1/4 wave antenna that will catch some sporadic e skip and some groundwave, this would be like the old Thunderpole 3 type antennas from back in the day. The main vertical element can have a "coil" in it (look at a firestik antenna) and be shortened, but my prefernce would be to keep the vertical element at around 8 1/2 - 9ft because its the electrical "length" that matters.

A choke balun of about five turns of coax at the feedpoint would be useful too. If you were to go with this style antenna the radiation pattern would be omni (all around) however if you went with a horizontal traditional "dipole" you would have some choice in the direction of your signal (think "off the sides" so you could focus on working east and west or north and south)
Dragonfly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM363

Post by Dragonfly »

Many years ago I tried coiling a wire dipole around plastic pipe and SWR was off the scale . Wouldnt work for me perhaps someone on may no why it wont work .
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Antennas aint my strong point, But i cant see that idea working, Coiling the elements round tubing or whatever will add inductance and change the resonant frequency, A better idea might be an inverted vee configuration
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_vee_antenna
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
JOHN,YORK
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JOHN,YORK »

I believe that there is a formula for working out the required turns/dia and length of wire.But I cannot find it at the moment.
The below sites may give you an insight into what is required,but of course,they will require to be rescaled for 27 Mhz.If 2 are made,it should suffice your needs for a dipole.

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=28475

http://www.eham.net/articles/20226

Or,maybe you have a go at making a TAK TENNA.Plenty of info on the internet.

Regards,John