Strange transmission on PMR446 ch8

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
scanhermit

Strange transmission on PMR446 ch8

Post by scanhermit »

Parked up at Wetherby Morrison's, I heard a voice transmission on ch8 that sounded almost as if it was in another mode and using an echo mic. It was very brief, just a few words. Could it be harmonics or someone usingva linear, I wonder.

I get brief, silent transmissions on ch8 at my house and wonder if there is some local source of interference.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Strange transmission on PMR446 ch8

Post by Mikel »

I get a similar thing around here, but mainly on channel 2 (446.01875). All sorts of weird and wonderful transmissions on there, echo mikes, ssb, am, fm, also heard a couple of stations using some kind of scrambler and there even seems to be a local taxi company on there in the evenings. Welcome to 'Anarchy in the UK'.

On the weekends you can regularly hear the Charlie Tango stations DXing on channel 8.

Seems to be more illegal equipment being used than anything else on 446. What radio were you listening on, if you dont mind me asking?
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

Hi I live not too far from you (York) and I will keep a listen on the PMR446 frequencies tonight and see if I can hear anything similar.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

What radio were you listening on, if you dont mind me asking?
A Uniden BC125xlt with a rubber duck. Lovely little out and about radio.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

scanhermit wrote:
What radio were you listening on, if you dont mind me asking?
A Uniden BC125xlt with a rubber duck. Lovely little out and about radio.
I must admit they look remarkable value for money, I see you can pick them up for around £100 delivered. I paid more than that a few years ago for my brand new UBC72XLT.

I also own a UBC3500XLT that I won on e-bay for just over £100. It was second hand but is in as new condition, all in original box and everything sealed in the original polythene bags - well pleased.

People moan about the cost of radio equipment but most things have actually got cheaper in real terms - The first scanner I bought over 20 yrs ago was a Yupiteru 7000, I paid £250 cash for it, crazy price but that was the going rate at the time!!
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

I got the 125xlt for £120. A friend had already given me a PSR-295 but it can't do PMR446, and it's a bit chunky for discrete use.

Been back to the same car park since but haven't picked up the same strange signal again.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

two things here

the silent carriers

the ssb like audio

my guess is

baby monitor on channel 8 (they trigger a lot)

someone using a scrambled pmr446 like a cobra , for an example of how this sounds see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf3OR8F0gqI

regards

BB
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

bigbloke wrote:
my guess is

Is there such a thing? Thought they'd all been DECT for donkeys now...
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

It could be something coming from the firestation 100 yards away.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Mystery, to be sure. Didn't sound like a baby monitor - it was more like a PA system.
M7LMH
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M7LMH

Post by M7LMH »

Could it of been something like this? desktop pmr446 system that could be used as an intercom system. spec & uses pulled from website selling it. Maybe morrisons had recieved a delivery an nobody was at the bay. :thumbup:

8 PMR446 Channels
38CTCSS Tones
20 LPD channels
8 Memory channels
Adjustable Squelch
VOX-Room Monitor
Scan Functions
Scrambler

Applications / Other Information.
Office /Deskbound staff
Un-manned Sales Counters
Delivery Bay Door (Optional vandal proof call button available)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

kr0ne wrote:
bigbloke wrote:
my guess is

Is there such a thing? Thought they'd all been DECT for donkeys now...
still a few on 49 , and a few more on 446 channels 5 & 8
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Yeah, have caught the odd one on 49... never knew there even were 446 ones though!
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

I've got a pair of Uniden 885 radios that have a baby monitor function. Not very sensitive though, I would imagine you would have to strap the radio to the babies head to get any kind of response from it.

Uses the usual vox function but the receive is muted on the radio sellotaped to babies head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Talking of strange noises, anyone know what that hammer drill sound is that appears on some vhf/UHF channels? There's a lot of it between 164-165 MHz.

I keep getting silent PMR channel 8 signals. Either there is a user not quite in range or some bugger far away is using a bit of power.