Digital on Simple Light

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
NiCdeth

Digital on Simple Light

Post by NiCdeth »

Sooooo...... is it OK to use digital on a UKSL licence? I can't see anywhere that says it is, but then the ofcom guidelines with dodgy scans date from about 1946. I've heard DMR on there in loads of places, but it would be nice to know if I can use it....properly, so to speak. I was going to ask ofcom, but I'd like an actual yes/no answer, before the next ice age.
pterodaktyl

Re: Digital on Simple Light

Post by pterodaktyl »

I suspect that a definite yes/no answer is going to be hard to come by since (as you've discovered) all the documentation pre-dates the wide adoption of DMR and only refers to FM modulation.

My guess is that Ofcom have decided that it's cheaper and easier to simply turn a blind eye to digital usage rather than rewrite all the documentation and modify all the existing business licences. I highly doubt they'd admit that publicly though...
Macman
Call Sign: 163TM

Post by Macman »

pterodaktyl wrote:I suspect that a definite yes/no answer is going to be hard to come by since (as you've discovered) all the documentation pre-dates the wide adoption of DMR and only refers to FM modulation.

My guess is that Ofcom have decided that it's cheaper and easier to simply turn a blind eye to digital usage rather than rewrite all the documentation and modify all the existing business licences. I highly doubt they'd admit that publicly though...

I tend to agree here. Offcom are well known for being so far behind the eight ball on usage and bands that even talking to them rarely gives you a straight answer. If it makes you feel better, call and then you can at least say you did ( make a note of date and time of call too)

I've tried getting simple yes or no answers out if them before and have rarely had any success, coming away more damn confused than I was prior to calling.
Yesterday It Worked, Today It Won't That's Radio.
pterodaktyl

Post by pterodaktyl »

Ofcom's strategy seems to be to keep written guidance as vague as possible and respond to any requests for clarification with a response along the lines of "it's up to you to study the documents and interpret what you can and can't do, but if we feel you've done something you shouldn't we'll prosecute you and let a lawyer decide whether you should or shouldn't have done it." Presumably this minimises the number of legislative changes and document revisions they have to produce to embrace technological changes, whilst giving them leeway to take enforcement action should they wish to.

I don't think it's anything unique to Ofcom, it seems to be common across most government bodies these days - certainly my wife who deals with DEFRA and Natural England has plenty of stories of them operating in exactly the same way.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

my understanding is yes - as long as your within the EIRP limits

Other opinions are also available :-)

Regards

BB